Hub motor adapter to direct drive

Hey what is the length of your motors? I’m trying to figure out how long the truck hanger I’m going to fabricate needs to be with the hubs mounted.

1 Like

No I want to mount them further back and then attach an adapter plate to the end that allows me to use any wheel I want, like Carvons, so it would need a truck made where I could position the motors much further in.

Also, whats the diameter of the inside of your motor? i.e. What diameter do I need to mount them securely?

I don’t think trying to alter these to work that way will be worth the trouble. why not look on endless-sphere and there is a thread about using a motor you can get from hobbykiing and it can be altered to fit on an axle. Styles was the name of the guy who showed everyone then how this motor from hobbyking that comes with a big outer bearing, as apposed to a typical outrunner with just the smaller bearings, can be mounted on a regular skate hanger. the thread is probably about 3 or 4 years old now. this was how carvon started and what they sold and it sounds like you want a carvon pretty much but are willing to put in work.

Yeah that’s essentially it. Also though, I was talking with someone you work with earlier about the quality of Carvon and he wasn’t very impressed whereas it seems like your hubs are top of the line and all custom made, so I thought I’d try and convert yours to a direct drive like Carvon’s. Also, if his motors aren’t custom made, just slightly repurposed airplane engines, I really have a hard time justifying paying 600-700 just for a set of motors, and the cost for their fully built Evo is crazy. I have a feeling that a large portion of that cost is the battery being marked up like 200%…

Do you think you could find that link? I don’t know much about that site…

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68181i just because it’s a repurposed airplane motor doesn’t make it necessarily bad though. theyre considered pretty good motors. the questionable part with this stylz design I think was its structural strength.

1 Like

Yeah apperantly the axle has a tendency to break more than is being disclosed is what I’ve heard essentially. I am not saying they are bad motors, but I just am curious how much of a mark up is on the motors… I mean, I see motors much larger and good brands that are at most like $200 and that’s super rare. So I would like to know exactly which motor this originally was and how much that one is. I understand he put time in for certain modifications and there’s also the special trucks they come with, but $600-$700 per set!? I just don’t see them costing maybe even half that…

1 Like

So from the thread its a Turnigy SK3 6374 149kv and for 2 its $89, and in the quantity that’s being bought now, there probably like $60 each plus maybe $40 for the truck hanger. Well, 600% profit is quite reasonable… ughhh wtf!!!

I was just looking at some other motors that could be used possibly, and though this is a rather unusual choice, I would like to know what you guys thought of it as a direct drivev.

You’d have to run at least 97 to 107mm PU’s, but the power is insane, and its got a kv thats just right… Also the center would be easy to adapt to fit onto a thicker truck so the concern with an axle snapping wouldn’t be a problem. You obviously could only run these on certain boards with wide wheel clearance, but I’m not really seeing much of a problem here. These look like absolute monsters that you wouldn’t need to even mess with the windings cause the kv is just right, you’d just have to figure out how to get it properly mounted on a truck.

it’ll have less rolling resistance when running unpowered since it has so many teeth and magnets which is nice.

if you take on this challenge good luck to you. Ive done similar with a tacon 160 and it was a ton of work for what amounted to something that broke pretty quick but maybe you have a better way to do it. the biggest problem for me was getting the rotor to be centered on the axle. mounting the stator on the axle wasn’t the nicest but I got that pretty centered, or centered enough at least, but the rotor needed a a cnc’d part that bolted onto the side of the rotor (the 4 holes in the pic ) and it does double duty of having bearings in it to get it centered on the shaft and also prongs to go into a wheel. the prongs in the wheel part is easy enough done on a cnc machine but I had a lot of trouble getting the rotor to be centered around the stator and axle. made the holes bigger and I made them so they had some adjustability…and then I adjusted forever and finally decided to duct tape the stator teeth with exactly two wraps of tape, then slide the rotor over on this very tight fit, and then epoxy the screws that connected this rotor to the bearing tube that supports it. if you do take it on id get a very straight axle. also see if you can possibly get big enough bearings in the tube that you bolt to the rotor …that was another problem with how I did it

i might be wrong about this but i think more magnets=more pole pairs= higher ERPM? that’s the main issue i see with these, but i’d be interested in seeing someone build some bigass hubs with them anyway. Alternatively i want to see people start tearing down hoverboards and rewiring their motors for higher KV to make eboards.

it does have more pole pairs and would be a higher erpm per revolution than a typical 12x14 outrunner but still doubt its up to what a pulley would be doing per wheel rotation.
or maybe you could just add more voltage to the hoverboard instead of having to rewind.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rw-rc-8318-120kv-brushless-motor-3-14s-for-rc-multirotors-1.html

How about this motor. I think this would be even easier to mount than the previous one.

As far as getting it centered over the hub, it would be very simple if I could just get the adapter that I want made built. I could mount the motor too a wheel and it would be fixed over the truck. From there, I could get the dimensions of what I would need to get it mounted in that spot.

This motor looks absolutely amazing! Holy hell, it runs up to 15s!!! If I was to rewind it into a WYE termination, I could bring it to about 110kv and then this would be insanely powerful.

• Max.effective current: 45A
  • Max.Power: 1944W
  • Max. instantaneous current: 90A(15S)
  • Max.power(15s): 3888W

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dualsky-xm6360da-12-182kv-outrunner-brushless-motor-competition-edition-for-f3a-airplane-rc-model.html

looks like its about time someone builds it.

I’m planning on it, just started a new job so I’m having so save up, but at least I could build this up much faster than I could save up for a full Carvon build… I will have to check around town at custom shops to see about getting my adapter idea CNC’d.

That motor you posted looks way to small. You want at least 50mm long, preferably larger. Also, at 92mm, what size wheel would you use?

A 97 or more likely 107mm.

Why do I need that length and why can’t it be made up for in the diameter?