How to make great Electric Skateboard Videos | GEAR GUIDE

Those things are awesome, I personally have never flown one, but it’s got awesome features like the follow mode, cable cam, and things of the sort. I’ve heard they’re the one you should go for if you want autonomous features.

after watching a few videos about it, it just blew my mind. I think i’m going to take the plunge on a bundle pretty soon. Also, after reading thier FAQ, it seems they expect to be able to add collision detection and avoidance pretty soon as a software upgrade sue to the fact that the drones are packed with a crazy amount of processing power already. Which means it could potentially follow me through wooded trails and not smash into trees or people.

1 Like

I haven’t flown the 3DR Solo, they had a huge presence at NAB last year and it really seemed like they were the ones who were going to overtake DJI in 2015 but for some reason it never happened. Their software fully integrates with the GoPro but once DJI launched the Phantom 3 with integrated 4k camera, that feature never really became a selling point. The Phantom 3’s latest firmware has Follow Me, Point of Interest (360 mode), Way Points and the price drop is pretty massive. $999 for the 4k Advanced and $769 for the 2.7k version. What I dig about the Phantom 4 is the collision avoidance system. The Yuneec Typhoon with collision avoidance was seemingly the drone to beat when they launched at CES this year. But again DJI drops the Phantom 4 out of nowhere with the same features but even better. Even with all these features, it still requires some piloting skills and common sense to avoid fly aways and crashes.

1 Like

literally half the price of when the DJI’s phantom 2’s came out… this is pretty crazy considering it’s only been a few short years, and I remember thinking (when the phantom 2 came out) that $999 for the phantom 1 without a camera was a deal!

1 Like

this feature alone would make me buy it… Do you need some extra transmitter/device in your pocket?

I believe the follow me mode works with both the transmitter and a mobile device in unison. So you need to have both connected for it to work, if I’m not mistaken.

Edit: also, I think follow me is limited as far as framing, as you need to control the tilt of the gimbal manually. The quad will follow you without the need of control, but you or someone else will have to control the gimbal to the angle of your choosing.

Have you guys heard of the Lily Drone? $400 on Kickstarter and it has follow, picture and 360. I believe it is HD and it follows a watch that can control it as well.

999$ right now, the DJI Phantom 4 looks amazing though, there is more support for it too since it’s mainstream, Too bad the gimbal doesn’t autotrack…

Nope, basically the remote connects to your iPhone or iPad. The thing is you’d have to be holding it while riding which can be clumsy since you’ll be holding the skate remote as well. You could probably rig it to a backpack or something.

Even with the autonomous features, having a spotter or a pilot with you while riding is crucial for getting proper shots and ensuring safety. I usually don’t let anyone fly my drone unless they’ve put some hours into flying in various conditions.

i’m looking at the phantom 4 now too. I think that’s the way to go since they already have collision avoidance and the camera is built in. You could definitely stash the remote somewhere, maybe even inside your hoodie during the shoot. if not, a small backpack would do fine.

@Sebastiaan what do you mean it doesn’t track? Will it still keep you in frame when in follow mode?

Parts acquired…build to resume this weekend…total tab thus far 90$. Hand held 3-axis gimbal- get some. Also, Phantom 4 looks stupidly awesome.

2 Likes

“Not tracking” means the gimbal will not tilt the camera to keep you in frame. You need to control the pan and tilt yourself, or have somebody else do that for you.

$90 for a hand-held gimbal? You gotta let me know how that performs!

That sort of moots the whole point of getting one for me since the whole reason i’m getting one is so i don’t have to have another person doing anything. There is a distinct lack of interested, skilled parties in my world. Guess i’m going to be looking at the 3DR Solo again as it says it will do exactly this, but without collision avoidance, which they also mention will be coming sometime soon in a firmware update.

i like this, i think you posted a DIY build tutorial video before? can we see more video of it in use?

No words…

1 Like

@RunPlayBack, how did you learn to fly your drone ? Simulator ? Any recommendations ?

@onloop - the video was the inspiration, not accually me. If and when I get this up and running I will write up a post or make a how to video… programing the gimbal might take more time than anticipated and I’m not sure I have all the hardware to flash in the updated gimbal software.

@trbt555 -

1. Buy a micro drone, one with bumpers for indoors - they run 15$ a piece now practice practice practice…
  2. Upgrade to a 50-70$ slightly larger outdoor model with a camera. *last year when I did this it was a Syma x5c. Buy some extra motors and rotors (beginners will need them. Then practice practice practice…
  3. Look for much cheaper Phantom 1-2-3’s or start building a drone yourself - crap-ton of videos on the tube of you and oh yea practise more… with all of this keep a log of your practice hours and maintenance Congats now in addition to eboards you have a second not cheap hobby with developing tech… :smile:

I’m thinking of ditching the flashlight for a handle and instead going with a C shaped stabilizer like this guy…

Agreed with @monkey32 I got a Blade Nano Micro to mess around with indoors, stepped up to a Syma X5C, got into a MiniFPV racing for awhile so I built my own 250/150 racing drones then got the Phantom 3. The gradual step up gives you the ability to fly manual if GPS fails you. Just having spatial awareness and understanding how to control roll, pitch and yaw is fundamental. Once you get that down you can concentrate on composing your shots. I know a few guys who have totaled their drones by focusing on their shot first and piloting second.