How-To: Fused XT90-S Anti-Spark Loop Key

[quote=“PXSS, post:6, topic:16912, full:true”]

@jmasta. I think you have female and male confused. The male is the one with the male bullets in it, the female is the one with the female bullets in it. XT90-S only come in female variant.[/quote]

I’d argue that is up to interpretation. Yes, the XT90S plug has embedded female bullet connectors, but it physically goes into the XT90 socket. It that sense it can be viewed as either male or female. Even the internet disagrees:

Plug defined as female: http://www.getfpv.com/xt90-power-connectors-female.html

Same plug defined as male: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-xt90-connectors-female-5pcs-bag.html

1 Like

@jmasta Straight from the authentic manufacturer Amass website: AMASS female XT60 connector with 12awg soft silicone wire AM-9024B

I did not mean to offend you and no I dont know you but it’s true, its bad engineering to put male plugs on a battery. Check literally all LiPo makers that have XT, EC or Deans connectors and tell me which end is on the battery.This is done for a reason. If you are making a design with a loop key in it then obviously you can take precautions but if you connect a short across your battery, that is on you for being careless. Not that you’d ever be able to get the whole thing on (just ask one of our interns who shorted a 10S10P pack. Spoiler, the bullets melted and sparks flew everywhere as he dropped the connector). If you are the designer and only user, you should know your system well enough to not make that kind of mistake.

By the way, here’s proof you cannot kill yourself holding both terminals of a 10S4P pack. I’ve also done this on a 10S10P pack but cannot post pictures

Sorry for the crappy angle on the second picture.

HUMMM… you also won’t kill yourself if the current doesn’t pass trough you heart… Current will always choose the shorter way… and on the picture you’ve just shown current will only pass trough your hand :wink:

You’re using one hand. I specifically said touching the negative terminal with your other hand. Those are very different scenarios

I edited my post so as to not scare away newcomers. However, 50V (12S) is often defined as the threshold at which many OSHA regulations begin to apply. While it is not likely, serious injury is still possible

Exposure to 25V is also clearly safe with no risk to human life. It is only when we reach around 50V that we start having issues with shocks that are capable of delivering more than 13.5 W-sec in less than 3 sec. At 50V, the power equals 5W, and the calculated exposure time is 2.7 sec. (5 × 2.7 = 13.5). This assumes a “worse-case” body resistance of 500 ohms. Most people in reasonably good physical and mental shape can still react quickly enough to release themselves in 2.7 sec or less from a 50V shock. When the voltage level is 50V and above, however, it delivers too much energy in less than 3 sec, which leads to electrical fatalities.

But you are right on the naming convention. My bad! Either way, male/female is a pretty confusing way to describe an XT connector. Most people would probably (incorrectly) classify the XT90S as male. It’s 2017 and even our connectors don’t know what sex they are anymore!!!

1 Like

@jmasta, @JohnnyMeduse
Second picture is of me using both hands. That’s why the angle is so weird. I couldnt find a way to hold probes with both hands and take a picture with my phone…

Better shot.

Also 500ohm resistance?!? Is the test subject drenched in sweat and are we applying paddles to the chest? At 100V the NIOSH states hand to hand resistance with a large contact area circuit with dry skin as:

5% population under 1200ohm 50% population under 1875ohm 95% population under 3200ohm

1 Like

Now lick them!

:joy:

Male is female. Female is male. We’re not going to die! #alternativefacts

3 Likes

Erm ok… I take it, you dont take being wrong well…

That was a joke. I honestly stopped caring

@rpasichnyk Have you tried to burn one? I am going to order a few strips since this would be nice and cheap to make.

PLEASE… you should know that wikipedia can’t be a justifiable source… Also in the case of electricity and current, what is not killing you make you weaker.

so here a interesting article about exposure to low voltage:

http://bme.ccny.cuny.edu/faculty/mbikson/BiksonMSafeVoltageReview.pdf

Wikipedia? When did I state that as my source? In fact the paper you linked has the same resistance values I posted earlier… (Page 5 Table 1)

I will read it fully tonight! If there are any specific sections you want me to read, by all means let me know. Section 3, accidental electrocution looks interesting

I am going to make a test this weekend. Can’t think of other 50A power source so will just put a LiPo in a fireproof bag and do it outside for safety reasons.

1 Like

I ordered a few 60A ones. Will let you know how that goes when I get them

I touched a tube lighting end connector with my hand by accident when I was trying to align the two end probes that’s stick out of it to the housing. You feel this heat jump through your body when the electricity passes through you. Lucky enough my hand came off or it could have done more damage.

Isn’t that 110VAC?

I believe so it was in the basement. Amps do the damage, but as said before it only went through my hands. but your whole body feels hot AF.

@wmj259 That’s a whole different story. Not only are you talking about 110V but also alternating current.

110V is more dangerous than 42V. And current is not the only thing that matters. Human’s skin resistance is not a constant, it decreases as the voltage rises as shown in the paper above, and can also vary from person to person based on health and other factors according to what I’ve read. As the skin burns, it’s resistance drops too. At which point a current of only a few milliohms can kill you over several seconds.

Truth is, 42V on dry skin with a small contact area, like the ones we deal with are not dangerous at all. I’ve assembled tens of battery packs by hand now, anywhere from 4S1P to 10S10P and never had an issue getting shocked and I constantly handle both terminals of the packs. The only time I’ve ever felt slight electricity flowing though me is when my forearm or hand is resting across several cells in series which feels almost identically as getting poked by untrimmed nickel tabs. Half the time I’m unsure which happened.

110VAC is inherently more dangerous as the voltage is higher but the fact that it’s alternating means your muscles wont lock up when you come into contact as you see 0amps 120 times in a second. House electricity has a frequency of 60hertz. The dangerous part is holding that for several seconds. The pulses can throw your heart off beat as it tries to match the electricity frequency and when it cannot keep up it’ll lock up, and cause cardiac arrest from what I understand.

TL;DR. Comparing 42Vdc and 110Vac is like comparing apples to oranges

1 Like

BTW tasers dont kill (usually) and they deliver "voltage peaks at 50,000 volts and when it reaches the body it is substantially less. The volts are responsible for delivering the amps. Taser runs off 0.0021 amps at average performance. "(from the internet)

‘‘and available for 30A, 40A, 50A, 60A, 80A, 100A’’ why did you pick 50A? Is it any bad to go with the highest? I dont want to use more than 50A too, but wouldnt it be still better to go with a higher amp?

taking it one step further

10 Likes