How popular esk8 really is in your area?

I am not surprised people here in the US seeing other Esk8’ers in Florida, NYC, California, etc… bi-coastal and some big city culture will no doubt bring them out.

I am in Atlanta and I know most of the esk8 people here – they ride on the belt line so at least I know where to go to find them. I think what we do is nerdy and risky (to some extent) and those two don’t often go together. The esk8 people I know have Evolve, Uni-Wheel, or Boosted. I can’t get my buddies involved in DIY… the curiosity to learn/re-learn a little electronics, deal with VESC software, etc it’s all too intimidating for them. It was intimidating for me too… I came from software and related so I do some programming and nerding but I totally forgot my college physics lessons… totally had to remember and read and do all that. These are often not prized qualities here in our culture always. Anyways too political so i digress… we have to do more to get people interested when they ask. Now I get asked ALL the time ‘how much does that cost’, ‘can I buy that from you’, and I would rather teach it… but meh whatever I am noob myself and probably not a great teacher.

4 Likes

I live in Sacramento, the capitol of California and located in Northern California, some people don’t really know this but California is really like two different places, divided into the north and south, it’s not that we are different, it’s just we are so far away we develop two different cultures and it’s rad.

The bay area and San Fransico is like a bubble and an entirely different world inside, they have a ton of electric skaters, also a long history and heritage of skateboarding in general considering many of the finer skaters in history came from here and southern California. We sort of are the birthplace for modern skateboarding as we know it and it’s not a surprise we have a lot of electric skaters too considering the tech industry here and the number of “makers” we have.

I do see people I do not know riding electrics in town while commuting, there’s so many people here just trying to herd them into a FB group or find the ones who eskate is very difficult. We have a local Sacramento group on FB with about 50 people in it, the nearby town of Davis (a college town) has another small group as well and we get together sometimes. the bay area has a giant fb group and events all the time and tons of people riding.

Based on how rad this activity is and how little I see people picking it up, coupled with the existing skateboard hatred toward electrics (which we have a lot of) it actually is sort of slow to take off here. We have an image problem and California should be an indication of where the market needs to go. There’s untold numbers of skateboarders here and yet a very small acceptance of electric power ones, that could change with some marketing and culture shift and it’s possibly poised for a giant hype market explosion.

But like anything in California if it’s not “cool” it typically isn’t accepted, and that’s what’s going on here. I roll around and get tons of compliments from laymen on the street, but nothing but hatred from existing skaters and bikers on the trails…I aim to change that by using everything I can from the existing skate industry that is cool and combining it with brushless power systems. If you roll up to the skaters with something that looks exactly like what they ride or want, only better, they might accept you and eskating more. If they change their opinions and all go out and buy one, then we are screwed because they already know how to skate better than any of the consumers buying commuter boards at Frys. It’s like a entire market just sitting there untouched and shelter itself through fear of change and the hatred is just it’s expression.

While I would say it’s more popular here than other places and we constantly see people riding them, it has a long way to go and tons of room for growth. We also have a lot more people here in general so you cannot really compare it fairly to other places other than NYC, LA and FL. Just in my city alone, we have at least 5 major skateparks with giant bowls and pools and even a full pipe, that’s not even counting the 20 other smaller neighborhood skateparks all over the place. When I say we have a lot of skaters I mean tons, skateboarding is a mainstream accepted sport here, I believe there’s about 5 skate shops in town carrying longboard and shortboards, and none of which bother to carry electrics due to the culture problems…if we can get that to change, and get skaters to think electric skateboards are cool, the market is poised here to literally explode overnight…but these are smart and savvy consumers, they can already skateboard and know what goes into a good skateboard and they look at the eskate market and laugh, with very good reason…make them a skateboard and market it to them directly instead of dumb commuters who have never ridden a skateboard before and you open the doors to the perfect demographic that could set this all on fire and make a few of you very rich…electrics in existing skateshops with some basic standards for parts and plug-n-play electric components, will go a long way to show that we want their acceptance…

I have also noted a lot of hatred going back the other way as well, people complaining on FB and other places about being hated on by skaters and it’s perpetuating a cycle, everyone need to rise above it, it’s silly and only hurting the growth of the market…not to mention we are all skaters, electric or not, we have more in common than we think and the electric market can learn how to be cool from them, and maybe they will try these things out and be open minded instead of rejecting the idea…

6 Likes

Miami is up an coming we have a group of 10-11 people now and random people that join us when they come down to Miami to visit it’s great and honestly feels safer riding in a large group. Esk8crew Miami ftw

1 Like

electric and traditional skating are two VERY different animals. A normal skateboard is not really suitable as a serious mode of transport. Electric is exactly that. Properly riding a normal skateboard with style requires a lot of practice and skill. Electric riders usually don’t give a crap about riding style and you can learn to ride in about a day. You don’t even need to be athletic at all.

I can kind of understand where the animosity comes from. Some lazy ass esk8ters acting like spending 2000$ on a toy also makes them a cool skater is kind of like an American/Belgian beer sneaking on to the shelf next to the proper traditional German beers and thinking it fits in.

ps: I am a really crappy skater too :slight_smile:

Are the laws better there than in Germany? I’m asking because I have a lot of vacation time to burn before the end of February and if it’s less likely to catch a steep fine I would love to revisit Austria.

1 Like

I’m in Vancouver, Canada. I’ve seen 2 or 3 esk8 in downtown in the last 2 years. But the roads aren’t very adapted for it, people aren’t really good drivers here and they drive fast. I wouldn’t drive on the roads, only on bike paths. Maybe there are more esk8ers outside of the city center, where it’s safer and more adapted.

I’m still in the process of building my first board, I don’t know any esk8 community in Van’

I think the laws are pretty much the same (I could say these are my boards mr. officer, so there’s only one steep fine :laughing:) but the bigger problem is gravel and salt on sidewalks and bike paths during winter :confounded:

1 Like

Barcelona here, esk8 thing is almost nonexistent here. I’ve seen 2 or 3 riders in a year. You will see various electric vehicles such segways, scooters, monowheels and hoverboards but almost no electric skateboards. I don’t know why honestly.

1 Like

Oh yeah and yesterday (Xmas) I saw someone on a action blink s2

I will be the only guy in the town with one also Ive seen only one guy here with an e skate who lives 400km from me

I totally agree with this! I’m pretty new to this community and hobby, but with out this forum I would have been way over my head!

2 Likes

I’m also in New Zealand. I know of only one other e-skateboarder and he’s away at the moment and haven’t met him yet.

Only been riding an electric skate board for about a month though… you just don’t see then around in Wellington.

Newmarket, Ontario, Canada…havent seen any esk8s but ive seen some electric scooters…i beat them :smirk:

1 Like

Keep reading, keep learning, it’s all a scale and a process and some day you will be the one teaching others…

1 Like

Price is a barrier to entry.

Most skateboarders can barely scratch up $40 for a new deck!

2 Likes

Actually dude, in LDP, people pay up to $800 for a nice bracket setup…in longboarding and downhill a good entry level board costs about $200 and a top of the line easily costs $500…That’s a $200 deck, $350 for precision trucks, $100 for bearings, and let’s estimate $100 for wheels, and then some expensive grip and hardware and it adds up quick. The boards you see in the longboarder magazine pictures all cost over $500 at least…and they are not even powered…most are custom made for the riders even…

When I use the word “skateboarder” I mean all types and kinds and forms of skateboarding. A lot of people just think of the flippy Popsicle stick riders at skateparks when I say skateboarder, but that’s a narrow and naive view of it. Muirskate, the big online longboard retailer sells decks all day, 90% of them over $100 just for a deck…so this $40 deck thing is strictly speaking about “thrashers” or stunt skating where doing tricks is the primary focus. When your doing tricks, the person or rider is doing the work, not the gear, gear is less important and also becomes disposable and damaged often. Go look at the new top of the line skateboard decks though, Powel’s new fiber laminate deck at $80 is actually catching on pretty well, they are finally adopting gear and ideas from the longboarders who have been fiber glassing decks to add stiffness and tune for years…

Most “skateboarders” are not scratching $40 for a new deck unless they just thrashed a deck within a week and with good reason, they shred hard, and they go through decks like toilet paper. this is why there are professional skaters, we thrash gear because we use it and need new stuff all the time because it wears out. But if you look at all of skateboarding, not just one of it’s 40 forms, you will find people pay a lot of money for good quality gear and support a large and technical industry making awesome stuff. There’s entire debates and arguments on FB about which $350 set of trucks to buy because there’s so many options. Why are there so many $350 trucks options? I wonder…if people cannot scrounge up $40 for a deck?

2 Likes

my decks are $80 without paint or channels. That’s fresh off the cnc with only light sanding. And that’s a fucking bargain for hand pressed boutique decks.

7 Likes

this deck right here, just the deck, when it’s said and done will easily cost $500 and that’s without thinking of labor.

Carbon Fiber and exotic woods are expensive. When we went to the wood store to get the Maple and Baltic Birch, we walked out spending $100 and all we had to show for it was two sheets of wood to start making a deck from. Then you need a press and someone who knows how to lay fiber, it’s actually an artform to make a deck well and it’s a lost art to make a custom one for the rider. The decks in the stores and mass produced all over the world are made at such a low price and without a lot of thought, to complain about the prices of quality stuff is nuts when you look into how much it costs to actually make. Sure you can buy a Chinese maple Popsicle for $10, and they mass produce them for maybe a buck apiece. Most of the time you are just paying for the graphics or the brand name. The trucks I run right now on my prototype and training board literally cost over $800 to produce, that’s not retail cost, that’s how much we paid to make them. When your talking about titanium and steel blends or machining 7000 series aluminum instead of just pouring some hot metal around an axle in the sand, things start to cost money and for good reasons, and it’s also really nice to know your doing it right, instead of half-assing it just to do it. Obviously bringing the price down is a huge part of designing anything for markets, but realize that quality stuff costs money, and there’s a lot of expensive things that make up a good electric skateboard. It should be in our culture and industry to want quality stuff, right now we harbor a distaste for what is out there in the market cus it sucks, and we should be voting with our wallets and not complaining, but buying quality stuff and putting all the crap out of business…in the end that will bring the cost down of all the parts so we can all benefit, we need to put a stop to this entry level cheap eskate market that is dangerous and actually hurtful to the real growth and future innovations we might benefit from.

4 Likes

Here in Buenos Aires, Argentina I haven’t seen a single person with an eboard yet (not even me lol). But I know there are a few guys that are starting to build they’re own(including myself). Now that backfire officially sells boards here the esk8 community might grow.

3 Likes

Is that a 10s30p pack? Lol :joy: insane Are those all 10s2p hover board batteries? Or am I seeing that wrong? Wow :hushed::+1:t4:

3 Likes