How often do you turn off your board?

Hah sorry on mobile so can’t do quick searching and linking but will do it when I’m home, I have one of my own but I wouldn’t say I design things with aesthetics in mind at all usually I’m just aiming for function but I’ve seen a few nicer solutions will post back later so long as I remember.

I’m with this guy. This is dumb. I should have stopped following this ages ago. How do I get my seconds back? I should have turned this board off ages ago.

4 Likes

@Deckoz integrated an antispark switch using bullet connector and 3d printed mechanical parts. More aesthetically pleasing than loop key. If the vesc incorporated an auto shut off, then this wouldn’t be an issue. But you’re proposing to not include an important safety device for the sake of looks. I get that you’re very focused on your skate. But heaven forbid something happens in your life that prevents you from being near your eskate for whatever reason, wouldn’t you want to have a way to isolate the batteries from all load? How many videos do you need to see of batteries going thermal before you realize the potential energy stored and how dangerous that can be if not handled with care. Do what thou want @never4getf150forums, most on this forum are trying to help you prevent messing up bad.

2 Likes

Deckoz one was one of them I was thinking of, anyone know off hand who made the one that hinges into the front trucks? Saw it in the pictures only thread. Seemed a little less easy to get that one out in an emergency but looks wise was pretty nice and agree with the regulars it’s a safer thing to have than not.

This is mine

Google Photos

Wouldn’t say anything about my build is really pretty or clean especially compared with some of the builds on here but so far it has kept me pretty safe and gotten me from point a to point b while having fun.

1 Like

Dropped my board off before i went on a small vacation to my grandmothers house for a few days, didnt notice that i never turned the board off.

I always do it when i take my board up so i assumed i did came home checked the board didnt turn on checked the battery it was way under the limit took me damn ages to fix it up.

1 Like

@never4getf150forums some options I think are pretty nice below in no particular order just the order I found them in searching around here

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/5565

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/5852

^^ not sure why took an incredible amount of scrolling around in the no pics page to find that one but I think it’s worth looking at

3 Likes

wait so let me get this straight… you don’t use either a loop key/antispark switch and your board is just perpetually on with no way to turn it off?

is that right?

definitely keep commenting how stupid this is with no actual evidence to back up, excellent way to “get your seconds back”… thank you for your intellect.

basically yes, I want to test if it is as big as issue as most people claim it is… my theory is no, it’s not an issue.

good thing i won’t drop my board off to my grandmothers house for a few days… and if i do i will simply just open it up and disconnect the battery manually to be sure.

once again. everyone is acting like i’m going to take a 2 month vacation… i’m not, this board will be used literally every day and monitored closely… it’s summer and it’s ride time baby.

i don’t have time to waste dealing with burnt out switches/ buttons…

Has there ever been 1 instance where someone took their loop key off during thermal runway and it prevent the battery from getting damaged?

that seems about the same as closing all the windows/doors of a house on fire in order to prevent the fire from getting oxygen… will it technically do something… sure, will it stop a thermal runway or a battery fire… doubtful.

no, but are they battery driven? ffs

just take a multimeter… i better stop reading more from this topic-.-

4 Likes

tumblr_inline_o5v40dTIwh1tzstsc_500__01

1 Like

@Nordle best aswer yet!

@never4getf150forums Just do a measurement and idling electronics amperage draw and calculate the estimated time to empty. Saying everything is bullshit when you dont actually have more proof than a lot of guys that have years of experience with electronics is asking for the kind of anwers you got…

Don’t think anyone is saving packs from thermal runaway but loop key is good if your transmitter or receiver start acting wonky and decide not to go idle or brake when you need to stop. Basically don’t want to end up flying through an intersection out of control because I don’t like the look of a loop of wire. Only place I see it really helping with preventing fires is stopping one from over discharging and then attempting to charge cells that have gone over the voltage cliff.15310560854111046814893223031373

Measurement with my custom receiver hooked up and the newer metr Bluetooth module. 26.34 mA in case it’s hard to read.

On my battery this means if I had it fully charged at 5000mAh it would be 200 hrs or about 8 days of idle before it would be entirely drained and I would have wasted one cycle on the batteries. To put it another way every 8 days you are losing a cycle just from idle power… You have roughly 300-500 cycles per cell so would take 2400-4000 days or about 10 years if all the cells did was idle and get recharged but given you are riding daily I imagine that means recharging every day as well in which case you probably really only have a year (maybe 2 if you recharge every other day) before the cells will be under 80% their original capacity. The drain every 8 days means in a year you lose about 45 cycles just from idle power. In two years with that loss you’ve sacrificed 90 of 300-500 cycles or 1/5-1/3 of the usable cycles have been wasted.

Granted above numbers are all run with my relatively small battery.

8 Likes

Why don’t you just get one of the new @Martinsp push to start switches? Problem solved!

1 Like

Once people have had some hands on time testing these and they’re proven I might be more inclined but XT-90 loop key or antispark bullet are pretty safe options in terms of not failing or doing something unexpected (my loop key hasn’t once tried to jump out or plug itself in and when I take it out the circuit turns off every time)

Not a good argument - xt90s have failed (see @whitepony) and are not as bullet proof as you want them to be. Also this thread is not about which switch is the best but convince @never4getf150forums to use one. So if it makes @never4getf150forums use a switch the push to start one will be better than nothing.

1 Like

Well I’m not arguing for Xt-90s just the most reliable solution in my mind right now. Didn’t see the issue white pony had but only issue I’ve personally experienced with them is when I didn’t plug it in all the way to the high current draw went through the resistor in the start of the plug and it fried in there (had to use pliers to yank it out).

If it turns out Martin’s thing is ultra reliable and never fails after people have been reporting back for a year or I’ve had my own hands on time I can report about with it I just don’t want to suggest it (no offense intended)

1 Like