How many drone people here?

I built a couple of racers in my time :wink:

Currently setting up my F550, with NAZA v2, canā€™t wait to get some footage

Iā€™m doing an independent study course at college to get my drone pilotā€™s license, and studying drone uses in ecology. Havenā€™t flown one yet, but I have modest experience flying 3D helis.

Meeee! I have a Yuneec typhoon H! I love it!

I have a Yuneec Tyhoon Q500 4K. Itā€™s pretty awesome.

Joined the Tiny Whoop hype recently. Great for flying indoors when you canā€™t go out and ride because of snow or cold.

DYI build based on a Eachine frame and beebrain flight controller:

Warlark 80 out of the box:

2 Likes

i have a knockoff ZMR250 that i shoud probably get around to repairing and upgrading. Sigh. i havenā€™t even finished my e-board and i already want to start the next thing.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier! Iā€™ve had a P3 Pro for almost two years now and Iā€™ve loved it! Crazy how cheap the thing has gotten now, when I got it it was like $1200 and now I saw a deal on Newegg for somewhere around $600 shipped! Anyways I also just ordered a Wizard X220 from Bangood and Iā€™m super excited to get into FPV racing! Planning on using a LemonRX DSMX reciver with a Spectrum DX6i TX I have.

Got the new DJI Mavicā€¦ so much fun and so easy to fly. Also getting back into quads - building an Alien 5/6" butter quad right now.

Also a small tinywhoop for more flying indoors. My biggest issue right now for both is getting cleanflight to connect on windows or chromebook. PITA!

I just finished building a long range FPV 270mm racing quadcopter. :grinning:

5 Likes

Damn thatā€™s a big FPV antenna, that running on 2.4Ghz or 1.3Ghz? You running TBS Crossfire?

Looking at the size, itā€™s a 1.3ghz antenna :slight_smile:

Got my first FPV racing quad gear a month ago. Still a noob in flying it and Iā€™m going with Acro mode from start. Iā€™m loving it.

Yes, Itā€™s 1.3 GHZ with IBCrazy Pepperbox Antenna. https://www.dronematters.com/fpv/antennas/1-2-1-3ghz/ibcrazy-1-3ghz-blubeam-pepperbox.html It gives tons of gain and a wide beam. :relaxed:

1 Like

My Quadcopter Gang. And a Hexacopter which I am selling.

For hobby and fotography/videography . :slight_smile:

I do fly FPV but I do love flying LOS acro quads more.

2 Likes

Recently picked up this guy which has been awesome. video quality is fantastic with the hero5, and my only complaint is the 20-22 minute flight time compared to DJIā€™s mavic which is 27+ or phantom at is almost 30 minutes. people give gopro shit for not having fancy sensors, but for me if was more about the whole package of having a drone, gopro, and hand-held gimble.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvGNFJlAEq/

I actually pre ordered it back in October, owned it for 3 days, and then had to send it back due to the recallā€¦ I now have two hero5ā€™s though since they gave me a free one after the whole issue!

Since we are not really using high kv motor (with relatively low current around 10a) on esk8ā€¦ I tought you guys might like too see some vesc push at more than what we use to see in term of erpmā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I used to be a drone guy. I built two racing style drones during my freshman and sophomore years at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, all out of lasercut birch wood. One was a Hexacopter, which lasted me a long time. It would probably do around 35MPH, and was a blast to fly FPV. I always flew acro, and was quite skilled at it, could beat all the quad flyers on campus flying in auto-level. Unfortunately, this is the only good picture I have of the frame. I used the crazy color scheme for orientation, as I also enjoyed flying it LOS and doing lots of tricks (flips and rolls).

My next build was a 280mm Quad. It had some really nice motors on it that provided a 5:1+ thrust to weight ratio. Really really fast for its size! It featured a movable camera on a servo arm as well. Unfortunately, on its second flight, it shot up uncontrollably to around 100 feet in about 3 seconds upon arming the motors. Turning the throttle all the way down did nothing, so I had no choice but to disarm the motors. It dropped like a brick, and crashed onto the roof of a residence hall. Whoopsā€¦

Took a full two months of convincing campus police to give me the drone back. They had left it up there for days in the rain, totaling every piece of electronics on the aircraft (including the motors).

I have not built another drone since.

But, there is a silver lining to the story. The very same day I lost the drone, I saw a few students zipping around campus on some DIY E-Sk8s. I asked them if I could ride one, and one of them let me do so. I must say, that was one of the most powerful moments of my hobby life, as it completely shifted my interests from FPVing to E-Sk8ing.

I may end up building another one, but being a college student, itā€™s really difficult to fund more than one hobby at a time. For now, itā€™s E-Sk8ing for me!

2 Likes

Space One 220x, KISS FC, KISS 24a ESCā€™s, Lumenier 2206 2350KV Motors, and 5050x3 Butter Cutters.

F36, waiting on 615 6x15mm 59000RPM Coreless Motors and BeeCore FC.