How is your soldering setup?

Hi guys!

Just wanted to share my soldering setup with you. It is nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. The one thing I like about it, is that it is mobile. Everything is glued to a peace of MDF which makes it possible to put the whole setup on a shelf and free up the work bench in 5 seconds! If you are like me, and tend to leave a big mess on your work surface - and thereafter forgetting to clean it up afterwards. Therefore I was imagining that this setup might make the cleaning process a bit less of a struggleā€¦ I guess I will have to see if I succeededā€¦

I was thinking that it would be nice to see each others setup to get some inspiration. I imagine that some of you have some tricks up your sleeve you could be sharing? Any ways, I have now shown me mine - now I would like you to show me yours!

13 Likes

Thatā€™s a great setup. Better then my cheap soldering iron and asking my brother to be the helping hands.

4 Likes

Haha! Iā€™ve been their too! :smiley: I feel for your brother though! He must get some burns once a while?

1 Like

I give him some oven gloves he also works as a fan.:grin:

2 Likes

Haha, thats nice! I guess you shouldnā€™t be complaining! :smiley:

Good soldering equipment is a must in this hobby.

I use this for the heavy stuff:

And this for the small stuff: Iā€™ve had this one for many years. Itā€™s an oldie but a goodie.

1 Like

I have that exact fume extractor lol where did you get the carbon mesh for it?

So I still havenā€™t figured out why I ruin solder tips. Granted usually the cheap ones. But even this Weller tip I have right now shows signs of wear even after cleaning.

How do you clean it and are you setting it to the hottest temps.

This one is a 40w. One setting. With sponge. How long should I expect tips to last

That is some nice equipment youā€™ve got! 200/300a seems a bit overkill no? I am using a 100w iron for my XT90 connectors and big gauge wires, and it seems to be too powerful at timesā€¦ You must be in and out in a milisecond? :smiley:

I have bought spares from eBay :slight_smile: Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Universal-Black-Activated-Carbon-Foam-Sponge-Air-Impregnated-Sheet-Filter-Pad/273066021423?epid=710383777&hash=item3f9400d22f:g:VvgAAOSwc-tY06Q7

Hmm, what do you mean by ruining? If you have problems with the solder tip not sticking to the solder, you need to clean the tip. Sometimes a sponge is not enough. You also have to grind of old debris with some ā€œsolder wireā€, link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldering-Solder-Iron-Tip-Cleaner-Metal-Wire-Welding-Kitchen-Cook-Cleaning-Hot/253454665023?hash=item3b0313453f:g:QscAAOSwHMJYNVtI

Iā€™ve just bought a hakkošŸ˜Ž

1 Like

Nice! Which model?

hakko fx-888d, got it from Amazon

Just googled it. It looks pretty nice. I might acutally buy that! Have you tried it yet?

I havenā€™t, itā€™s still in the post. I ordered from Amazon US and I live in the UK so it takes 2 weeks to be shipped but I know itā€™s from a genuine dealer. And itā€™s also cheaper since it costs me Ā£98 inc shipping and taxes (prepaid)

Itā€™s meant to be the best iron in its price bracket

Nice! Please let me know how it works out. I hope its powerful enough for soldering XT90 connectors and such

100% it will, check it out on YouTube

1 Like