How fast is too fast?

Ive said this before somewhere, at 35 mph in a tuck I use around 600 to 800 watts on flat land. It has been awhile since I logged those numbers so I should do it again to confirm but a good tuck makes all the difference.

2 Likes

absolutely. If you top out your board, the increse in range you get is quite noticable if you tuck.

Also if you can target your ideal top speed with your pulley ratio and manage to land that in the upper end of the motorā€™s efficiency zone, you can get even more range out of it. Between the tuck, the tweaking, and the giant balls you can go pretty damned far pretty damned fast.

I feel like there is some efficiency lost in the lower end by doing this but those are acceptable losses in my opinion. Efficiency is terrible down there anyway.

One thing I do from occasionally is ride in a tuck and accelerate/brake repeatedly to build muscle memory and adjust my center of gravity. An eboarding tuck is a little different than an unpowered longboard. You need to be sure you wont fly off the board due to malfunction.

3 Likes

looking on the grin tech motor sim tool it looks like you can get very close to the same efficiency with a motor thatā€™s got a kv for a really high speed if you limit the power output at the slower speeds.

2 Likes

You can do a simple test with my app to compare the efficiency. Just limit the speed to max 30 km/h and do a run for a couple of hundred meters. Then switch to another wheel size and repeat it.

The app should give you results which are good enough to see the difference.

2 Likes

Truth. mine is more of a running stance/tuck hybrid. Being in an awkward posture wonā€™t let you lean back onto the rear foot and brace with your front foot the way you need to brake like your saying. You really do need muscle memory there, as well as freedom of movement. I was watching one of your videos and you stance a lot like i do.

I tend to lean onto my front foot and only balance with my back foot while resting it in the groove of my deck. Sometimes i rest it on the flat if iā€™m hammering it on a straightaway or a section with only mild curves, but if the trail is curvey i like to keep the ball of my foot in the groove for steering, and a toe on the edge for reference. Most of my weight is on the front of the board usually, which allows the rear to drift slightly in a controlled manner on curves. I wouldnā€™t call it full on sliding, but traction does break in a predictable and controllable manner.

every day i love the weird concave of my decks even more. I should send you one.

2 Likes

iā€™m still playing with your firmware. You already sent one of my focboxes to the bin lol

its very promising though once i get all of my thumbs out of the way.

Yeah, my forward shin is leaning back by about 20 degrees to brace myself for braking or when I let off the throttle. Sometimes I will go into full dh tuck but I always feel like I am playing roulette since any loss in throttle would likely send me into the asphalt.

1 Like

yep , agree. I pretty much tuck the same, but my back knee isnā€™t jammed into my front leg. That way reacting to harsch braking or weird stuff hapening I simply lower my behind and my back knee on to the board making me unsusceptible to almost anything.

1 Like

I jam my knees together when I am trying to get more speed. Closing that gap reduces drag significantly but it does make you a bit less flexible if things go bad.

Too be honest, I ussually jam my knee only when I am tired. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

yeah, on an esk8 I value safety above everything. Especially when pushing the limits of my set up. Basically going brazilian tuck into cutoff was the scariest shit so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

muscle memory on throttle release is critical. Tactically releasing the throttle happens often and can be jarring so you need to have the reflexes to flow into and out of it smoothly.

I noticed that the other day. Iā€™m always playing with my mounts and belts and shit but since i switched to the UNiKs i havenā€™t had to. So iā€™m finally able to see patterns develop that arenā€™t influenced by whatever i just tried. All of that is to say that iā€™m finally able to narrow in on my required muscle memory for dynamic throttling of turns and obstacle avoidance when brakes arenā€™t applied. And its helping a lot. Especially in my neighborhood which has a kind of awesome mixed bag of great and terrible streets ideal for ā€œraceā€ testing.

And then i go ride another board and forget the language.

2 Likes

this is going to sound totally nuts but iā€™ve been tearing around the neighborhood like a foolā€¦ in slow mode.

these new maytech remotesā€¦ kind of alien. the curve on the slow mode is kind of ideal for really high powered boards in a number of ways. It wonā€™t burn thane off the line obviously but the top end is still there, and you can jam it hard and get the expected result in almost any situation. all this and the hair trigger is gone from the bottom end.

still new to it, and i have an even more interesting remote coming soon. Just wanted to point out that modes can make a difference in ways you might not think so experimenting is key to find what works for you.

1 Like

Actually not nuts at all. Same is with my benchwheel remote. For urban ridinng slow mode all day. Top end is similar.

1 Like

4 Likes

So waay back in Nov17 we were discussing how many watts it takes to achieve calculated speeds. I made a post using a current automobile drag co efficient computer and inputting skate boards numbers. Guess what. We made 63mph at 5902watts = 7.91hp considering this run was an uphill grade I would say the computer is in the ZIP code. Hey @longhairedboy did NGV ever take care of @skateswordsman after the melt down? Screenshot_20180719-191315

4 Likes

During the last 7 months there have been alot of set backsā€¦(a whole damn lot, damon could go on for days) but I decided at the end near late may or early june to send it back to ngv so they can fix it them selves (Partially because there was a lack of communication between the cats and do- oh I mean Damon and Tone on the project) right now the board is in slovenia with tone who is almost done with it, he said this tuesday he needs 3 days to finish it so im hoping that It will ship on monday. The main problem and why it took so long was because of bad modifications that could of been avoided if they just talked to each other

1 Like

As of right now the board works, tone is working on a way to make the batteries removable from the board to be put in a lipo balancing charger because our modifications made it so it would be charged like a cell phone or laptop (which fucked up the board in the first place and made the batteries unbalanced)

1 Like

Glad to hear itā€™s all being made right. Hope you donā€™t have to give another sack of cash to @NGV . canā€™t wait to see it in action.:+1::+1:

1 Like