How do you charge your longboard?

Do you use the 2x 6S balancers (cell medic) while the pack is still connected in series as 12S? How long does it usually take to balance?

P.S. That “dumb shunt” is pretty awesome!

I am using two 3s batteries in series, but the principles should be the same in that you can buy a 3s to 6s balance plug adapter which will allow you to charge the two batteries at the same time.

Yes I leave all cells connected in series and stick those medics on the side while charging or while not charging. they are slow. Hard to say how slow but honestly u could be all day. But then leaving them on all day isn’t hard to do. There is a version that u can attach bulbs to and it does more watts but then it’s back to complication with plugs so I never use it The dumb shunt I think is pretty simple if u know electronics. If anyone would make a 12s ok wattage one with simple bulbs, or advise me on what parts to get, or we could get a little board made or something.
I like to charge fast and using these and a 30$ switching regulated power supply you can charge at 400 watts at 50.4 volts or if you want you could charge at 1000 watts or more. Not limited.

I wrote the dumb shunt guy and to have him (populate?) the board would be 100$. Too much. Surely there’s a mid ground between ten and a hundred that does mid-wattage. 30$ I’d like. Or if it were a beautiful design 50$. Worth it and then some.

1 Like

whats the exact set up included in that board?, like the batteries and the vesc?, (on the red ghost board)

That board has a 6S zippy 8000mah battery and an early hobbyking esc. The carbon box was made to accommodate 16000mah, but in practice i never needed that much so half the box is actually empty. There is no BMS just a lipo alarm.

Hi, I got a 50.4V BMS. I have three 4s 5000mah batteries in series. Each one at 16.8v. I had an XLR charger and everything. I read up on how to wire my BMS. Didn’t use it for discharge only for charging. My batteries didn’t charger at all. I connected everything up like it should have been and nothing charger. The fuse on my charger was good but nothing was working. My batteries were basically shot and I had no way to charge them since the BMS wasn’t working I cut the sensor wires off so I had no way to charge them. Basically out $100 for batteries. Any ideas what went wrong. Until I know what’s wrong I’m not planning on trying a BMS again. I’ll stick to opening the pack and charging the batteries separately with a parallel charging board.

You need to post a schematic on how you hooked everything up if you want help on this, or take pictures.

Do you mean the temperature sensor?

Could someone direct me to a thread on the topic of using a generator to power a load (to then power the motor) while using excess to charge the battery? I know it sounds confusing and id like to go into greater detail in a correct thred. Thanks!

I have a horse that chases carrots on one of these dohickeys to power my board.

5 Likes

ha ha tha’s funny. Youre right and that is confusing. If you were to use a gas generator to spin a wheel and hook your board’s wheel up to it, and then put on the brakes, then you could charge your batteries. I wonder how it would go when they were full. seems depending on your bms, and if it uses tiny resistors to balance, which is most likely, then you could way overcharge your cells if you weren’t monitoring. Is this a scheme not to buy a charger or am I way off in your confusing plan

1 Like

So I’m assuming your lipo batteries are not in a closure in order to do this ? :thinking:

For charging I have to split the 10s in 2 x 5s. And for this I have to pull a plug in the middle. The white ones are for balancing.

4 Likes

That actually seems pretty smart! never thought of that before

You have a diagram for this ??

Here I drawed a diagram for you. I didn’t draw the balance wires. The xt 60 females I cut in the middle, you can see it in the picture above.

1 Like

Here is a picture from all components.

1 Like

You like my enclosure? :grinning:

2 Likes

Cool thanks. I’m running (3) 3s 5000mah I gotta figure this out now lol

Update: haha diagrams after diagrams, I don’t think I could do it because I’m using 3 batteries. I don’t think there’s a way to do it :sob: Think I could only do it if I had 2 batteries

Here is a solution for 9s Lipo. You charge 6s and 3s seperatly.

Thanks for the idea, diagram and help with the 9s Could charge all at once without having to charge each individually :+1:t4: