Hobbyking Turnigy Vesc

Not everybody runs FOC. If you enjoy tinkering and risk blowing it up go ahead but dont blame HK and the other makers of the Vescs for not being up to date on certain parts. Don’t expect to buy an iphone X for the price of an iphone 7. Ive been running 4.10 enertion with 190kv for over a year now. Only blown drv i got was due to the motor wires touching/shorting out without me knowing.

1 Like

@hobbyking_ian one thing you guys could look at is putting a 3mm keyway on your current range of 63mm motors. If you were to use silicone phase wires too I think you would be on to a winner.

2 Likes

strand count on motor wires is low, so they will never be flexy, I’d rather see fixed posts I could attach flexible wire to… as for a keyway, it just weakens the bond of my loctite :wink:

Well it passed test one. Hasn’t instantly fried after 30 mins on the bench. Its 12s. Added extra 100v 680uf caps, heatsinks and cable tied all wires together. Its firmware updated fine using vesc tool. Ill update after first ride in a few days.

1 Like

100v cap? is that safe?

Why not? Capacitor voltage rating is just it’s maximum. It does not mean it will store and discharge 100V.

Completely safe, you’ll get more life out of them not running near max voltage and harder to damage with V spikes. A few of the smd cap upgrades bump them from 50V to 100V

Just wondering :slight_smile: only ask because the default electrolytic caps are 63v

Yeah it is alright to have some breathing room, not dangerous :slight_smile:

Still all good so far. First ride, 30 minutes of riding.

12s 2p 5000mah 30c 1 x 6374 192kv 5:1 gear ratio. 8 inch wheels

Latest firmware 60,000 limit

Mods Removed Heatshrink Added 2 x 100v panasonic low esr caps 2 heatsinks Fully enclosed with 50mm fan cooling everything (powered with a 12v buck).

I cant believe how powerful just a single motor is. I still plan to move to two motors for reliability and to stress the vesc. less. I need to add hall sensors too i think.

If you find somebody selling the internal hall PCB let me know, I can’t find them. APS has them…but out of stock

@scepterr Yes same problem here. I would get from aps but shipping to Aus is nearly 3x the price of the actual pcb. Let me know too please @danielz

iIl be using external sensors (I think) as my motor is inside an enclosure anyway.

Ok. Are you going to make them yourself or buy them?

Hey @danielz, any update on your Turnigy VESC? Planning to use the same one. Also planning to do the same mods as you did. Can you (or anyone) show where to put (or replace) the 2x 100v low esr capacitors? Thanks.

Ive done about 80 miles now, no problems, and its on a mountain board with a single motor too, so quiet highly stressed. Ive now bought a second, haven’t fitted it yet though.

You can fit the caps anywhere you like. I put one on the short wires between mainboard and the caps pcb. The other is attached to the solder pads on the caps pcb. So i have 5 in total. Mines all secured down nicely so nothing breaks off.

1 Like

So it’s durable. Torture tested. That’s some good news. That’s why I wanna copy yours :smile: Can you post some photos or videos how you do it? If it’s not too much trouble. Thanks.

Mine currently in pieces as im fitting sensors to the motor, but here it is in a mess.

1 Like

I have two of these in my dual belt drive. I’m running dual 5045 from racestar (banggood). Amp limit set at 40 as I’m running 10s2p.

So far it’s working really well. No heat sink added yet and to be fair, the esc doesn’t heat up that much after riding. I’m running it in BLDC but I have a friend running FOC and both have been working great.I’ve run around 50k on them so far

I would happily buy a newer vescs if pricing and availability was better. Too bad shipping to my country is at least $30-50 from many retailers if it’s even in stock. HK can ship my order to me in 2 to 3 days, sometimes I can get it even before I have time to go to the local hobby store.

1 Like

In response to pats earlier question. 3d printed some.

Just completed it and omg! What a difference, when non sensored i can hold the motor with my hand at low rpm and it stalls or moves back and forth. Sensored it just pulls and pulls.Very happy.

Honeywell ss411a 17.14 degrees