Hobbyking in the esk8 market?

I’d be shocked if that was anything better than a rebranded maytech “VESC.” @fraannk you are correct. HW 4.10 was not ideal for FOC. Also, you’ll fry the DRV8302 if you actually try and get 1.5A out of its buck converter (irrelevant of it being HW v4.10) as they are claiming.

Maybe if HK gives some money for Vedder they can produce a Vesc6 with a market price, not 300$

1 Like

Moved from duplicate thread.

I’m torn on this. I like that there’s now a cheap complete system available, and it seems like a really solid deal for beginners, but at the same time I’ve watched over and over again as hobbyking does this in the RC and multirotor industries- they wait for passionate companies to put in the R&D time to really develop systems to provide a good experience, and then completely undercut them because they don’t have to shoulder the same R&D expenses. I’ve watched many innovative multirotor companies go under because hobbyking and the banggood folks stole their design and made a copy at a fraction of the price. Right now, I’m looking at it this way: Yes, it sucks that HK is now going to likely be the go-to place for beginners, but people don’t often build a single esk8 and feel content. I’m hoping this will be a good way for people to get a really good riding experience for not much money, and then take their business to the more innovative and quality brands as they progress.

3 Likes

Hehe. I said this was going to happend in the VESC thread :slight_smile: They don’t care much for a T/R mark at all if they can make a copy of that as well :stuck_out_tongue: I think we are going to see a vesc6 when they release the schematics for that ^^

Awesome installation. Of course the mosfets need to touch the motor (shortest possible connection) but i didn’t know that the hall sensor cables insulation need to touch the motor as well.

I want to see the face of that guy when he notice at full speed that his receiver or the entire VESC fell off.

And the pulley cover is a nice rock catcher.

And of course it makes sense that the wheelpulley screws and outer plate comes with the motor pulley cover and not with the pulley kit itself. This way they prevent that stupid people drive without a motor pulley cover which would be nuts (you might miss the best rocks).

And why did i spent so much time building a enclosure? Luckily now the straps are on the market. Do they also sell meat for the barbecue?

14 Likes

Hey guys, saw this on facebook today, What does everyone think of it?

I like the way you write. And I agree with literally everything you just said.

This is terrible.

It makes me want to start a satirical kickstarter talking about how i designed everything from scratch.

6 Likes

Hi guys,

Has anyone seen this kit before? It says it comes with a Turnigy VESC rated up to 14s! I didn’t know they even made them. Seems like a really good deal from the company that makes most of our motors anyway.

Would love some feedback from anyone whose tried it!

ESC Specs: Microprocessor: STM32F4 BEC: 5V (Used to power your receiver) Voltage: 8V to 60V (Up to 14S LiPo Voltage) Current: Up to 240A for a few seconds or 50A continuous PCB size: 40mm x 60mm VESC complete size: 120mm x 40mm

Here’s a link to all their individual skateboard parts: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog/category/view/s/electric-skateboard-conversion-kit/id/7590

• $90 Sensored 12S motors with keyway and extended axles

• $8 motors mounts

• $9 pulley / motor mount covers

• $22 pulley kit (looks to be 12mm HTD, unknown gear ratio)

Honestly most of it doesn’t look too bad… Even their (Maytech?) VESC v4.10 will be leaps and bounds better than the car/boat ESC that many beginner HobbyKing builds use

Talk with @blasto,he will tell you taht a good heat transfert is the to success, and everyone always forget to dissipate the heat from the sensor cable… They are really thinking 2 years ahead of there competitor…

I thought so too but it has a different caps and cap PCB. Also maytech’s are 4.12 and they tell you not to run FOC.

I bought that kit on a whim… It’s still back ordered and Hobby King typically takes 7-30 Days to get things out of back order.

Currently reading everything I can on DIY eSk8s…

Thanks for being our tester! Please report back, it would be great to get some 1st hand experience on there products and some closer pictures

1 Like

Well guess that kit on hold for awhile

Thanks for being our tester! Please report back, it would be great to get some 1st hand experience on there products and some closer pictures

I plan on it.

Seems like Hobbyking removed VESC from their website. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog/product/view/id/63721/s/vesc

Maybe they got email from TRAMPA about using the name VESC hehehe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

haha great comment.

Exactly what happened: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/turnigy-50a-vesc/26829/43

2 Likes

Exactly what happened: Turnigy 50A VESC - #43 by trampa - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

Now the whole conversion kit is showing the same error: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog/product/view/id/63725/s/skateboard-conversion-kit

so whats the story here? is it similiar to other vendors where they just cant use the term ‘VESC’, or are they required to manufacture in a different way? etc. id be interested to see if anything of half decent quality (probably not) comes of this…its always good to have more options for cheap parts when you’re as broke of a student as i am :sob: