Hobby King Motor Mount

Thank you!

will this work with

collections/electric-skateboard-motors/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-260kv

Finally here. Ordered in July

2 Likes

july? wtf. it’s actually out of stock now

How are the mounts holding out

1 Like

This is my opinion on this mount. Don’t want to create a new topic to clog up this forum.

Hardware: caliber II 50°. CTC distances: 57&82mm. Width: clamp 15mm, arm 8mm Bolts: M6x16,5mm allen Mounting holes: 44mm Shaft hole: 10mm

15mm of clearance

Clamp profile

Of all 4 sides of the clamp, only 3 contact the hanger.

2 contact points on this side

2contact points on other side and 1 contact point on last side

This is the only direction and the only side that can mount it.

Verdict: this mount doesn’t work on caliber II. It requires either a shim or file the clamp. The mount looks and feels sturdy. I haven’t tried to use it and to see if it holds only with 3 contact points under motor torque.

Any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps

6 Likes

I’ve been using it for about 2 months so far, had no problems even with vibration.

do you have only 3 sides making contact as these pics?

If you get the hobbyking trucks, they come with a portion of the truck that’s filed flat to make the mount clamp. It should make all four sides of contact. Gotta switch out the stock bushings though, they’re horrible.

To be perfectly honest and unbiased as possible, I love these mounts, they are the best cheap mounts on the market, they adapt to HK trucks, Caliber’s and even Paris with some work. It’s made from a strong alloy and I have yet to break or even slightly bend one after thousands of miles on them. It’s the perfect size for most motor and gearing combos for both 50 and 63 motors.

This is the mount I was able to adapt to Avenue precision trucks very easily. The motor, VESC and mount are all great, and the HK pulleys are the easiest I have used yet, the way they center into a flywheel core makes it foolproof for beginners. They are 5m 15mm wide 36 tooth wheel and 15 tooth motor with a KEY!! yes with a KEY!! The motor is a 50mm internally, but seems like a larger motor so it handles heat and beginner mistakes with ease, it’s sealed and at 125kv perfect for any beginner over a wide range of wheels. I have used it with the HK wheel’s, 90mm abex11 classic thane, 97mm clones off amazon and the abec11 107mm’s…the 107mm requires different gearing I have discovered or dual drive systems, but the 97’s worked perfectly and ran at 22mph on 36v, and like I said, thousands of miles on 2 motors, and 5 running motors without any issues yet.

I’m willing to bet that mount is going to be a hit if they can keep them in stock, it will be on many 1st time builds, it’s a quality piece for a fair price. I have more than a few and just bought 2 more from a member here in the forums, and I’m sponsored by HK but I’ll keep it real with you guys, I use HK stuff because I believe in it and was already using it.

Ian is here on these forums in fact, the guy in charge of the HK skateboard stuff. I have more than a few requests in for different sized pulleys and more motor options from them (can you say 107mm?), stay tuned, I think they have some surprises in store for us and I’m glad to be a part of it. They can bring a lot of manufacturing muscle to this industry and that can help bring the prices down for all of us while getting some quality stuff.

Running perfect for hundreds of miles on a 180mm CaliberII 50…

Thousands of miles beat into this one on my long range setup (mounted on Avenue precision DH suspension trucks)

The little shield I have tried on and off and it does seen to help keep those little rocks from going between your pulleys and belt so I leave it on. It has a smaller bearing at the end of the motor’s longer-longer-than-normal shaft and it make a world of difference in keeping the pulleys aligned properly…These are the little things which you guys have all learned through trial and error being put into valuable products, it needs an idler pulley option next eh?

6 Likes

You say they are good for 50 and 63 motors, but the hole spacing is only good for 63 mm ones, as they are 44mm apart. Also I have the problem with it that the shaft space is only 10 mm wide and I have bought motors with 10 mm shaft, so I will need to buy another mount because I cannot use those.

Apart from that they seem very good option for cheap, waiting for them to be in stock to buy two to try even with that.

1 Like

I have mounted the SK3 63mm motors on it without issue, but I do realize they are really 59mm, lol. Yes there is only one hole pattern though, correct. The thickness of the mount is what lends to it’s strength but your right, it requires a longer shaft to get through it, and the HK shaft is even longer still to enter the bearing in the cover on the other side. If your using any motor from HK appropriate for an electric skateboard, it will fit. I haven’t tried other motors because I don’t have them and everyone wants a hundred bucks to play…

1 Like

The wheel pulley looks like it has 4 bolts? Does this work well enough for the 6 holed flywheels?

imo, the wheel pulley works better than all the others I’ve messed with, it’s also lighter (less hardware). I didn’t have to mod anything it was plug-n-play bit it did fit legit abec11 flywheel cores better than clones…the wheel pulley has a cone shape interface where it meets the wheel, in the inside so it’s like it self center when mounting, pretty good design.

1 Like

The conical shape of the outside ring, self centers…

The conical shape of the wheel pulley self centers as well

Looking down through the wheel to see where the holes line up against the larger spokes of the hub.

Extended motor shaft with key-way and bearing in the dust cover to support the motor shaft. there’s also two brass bushing tubes to space the system perfectly and holding the wheel pulley in place on the shaft and prevent it from moving, in theory, you could lose both set screws on the motor pulley, and the key and brass bushings would keep the belts aligned and working perfectly to limp home, it gives some extra robustness other systems don’t have, another feature perfect for beginners and their mistakes.

5 Likes

Do you guys think this will hold? I have not been able to test it because my belts does not fit. I am using it with 15/36 gears And I seems to need a 275 belt. I have 255, 265, 270, 285 and 300. Just not 275mm .

1 Like

Looks a bit precarious any way to use less washers?

The mount only make contact in 3 points that is why the washers were used. Without the washers the mount is pretty tightly held.

may be you can file it down a little instead? in worst case just use jb glue

1 Like

Yeah, I did that on mine, just file down the nubs inside the mount till all the sides match. Instead of adding to one side take away from the other.

2 Likes