The Sleek Commuter | Globe Big Blazer | MBS 100mm | Chain Drive | 10s2p | Keda 6364 190kv

All I want to do is get to the bottom of why so many vescs used to fail (I never saw any real unbiased effort into this).

Vedder himself said he recommends using the 6 over the 4.12.

Maybe the problem is me and the way I ride. But if they will break the way I ride, then how do you know the next noob that comes along isn’t going to break it because he rides that way also… if it can be broken When used within the specs given then there’s a design flaw. If not, great. I have a cheap esc I can recommend to noobs.

You say that, but it doesn’t change anything. When you label someone as a fanboy your degrading their opinion by insinuating that their opinion is only formed from their love of a product or person and not experience. It’s not fanboys, its correcting a statement you made that will confuse new builders. Insulting people that don’t agree with you is kind of elementary and childish.

You said…

That statement says that previously they had a bad track record. TB did NOT have a bad track record. What you said was false.

You said…

Once again, false.

There are literally hundreds, likely thousands, of people using TB VESC’s in FOC that don’t have issues, yet you persist with the opinion that to work reliably they need upgrades. Its just crazy!

I just don’t understand why you make these insulators without data to back them up and then insult people when they correct you.

I’m not going to say anything cause it’s pointless and I’m wasting my time. We have a difference in opinion, ok. It was pretty unanimous on the forums that at one point they had issues. But if you want to deny that, ok. We have a difference of opinions.

Then show it, as I don’t remember that at all. My issue is that you can’t prove your insinuations and then insult people that disagree. Not cool.

But your right, we have a difference of opinion. I’m confident that when you test TB VESC’s you will see that they are good for more than just BLDC.

3 Likes

@Boxer86 i’m seriously wanting to get these but only thing that is holding me back is motor mounts for the evolve trucks / do you know an option for this

i was about to buy them but realized the mount is for their motor which is alot smaller

I bought them without the mount and just made my own plate out of stainless steel however you can buy mounting plates for the supercarvers to suit 63mm motors on the forum or if you do a quick internet search. Living in Australia though makes them pretty expensive which is why I made my own. They are actually very simple to make if you have a drill and grinder but if you don’t have these and the skills and time you may just want to buy the mounts. I will see if I can find some and link them.

1 Like

thanks man, i did find some on here but its really expensive with shipping to aus.

i was looking at how to modify something to work can i ask what you used, i have the tools and ability to do most things.

Sorry i see you already said stainless steel - just a blank plate?

I was thinking if i can buy some sort of mount that already exists and modify it (maybe even the evolve one itself) but if the problem is its too small for the motor that may not be possible

My home made mountsimage image

2 Likes

Awesome man nice and simple - i like it!

I guess with the evolve’s its alot easier to do something like that as its not as important to be a snug fit over the truck because the screws are whats holding it on?

Exactly you have heaps of room. Also an option might be to buy the @Boardnamics mounts which are cheap and simply drill an idea extra hole in them to suit the truck mount. I have these mounts too and have taken a photo to show you. They fit perfect with two holes lining up but the third not so you would need to just drill that one out when you have positioned the mount where you want it. They would also have to be reverse mounted. This is the only reason why I didn’t use them as I wanted to mount my motor infront of the rear truck rather than behind and behind the front truck. Other than that they fit fine. They are not as strong as stainless but are lighter and will be plenty strong enough for what you need image

2 Likes

i definitely also don’t want to reverse mount so will have to have a think but appreciate the ideas man !

Alright…so i’ve probably come in within the budget of 700 AUD i initially set out to for just the board but in total it was probably $800-$850 with some random tools/parts i needed that i didn’t already have.

I could’ve saved money in a few areas but I made decisions based on what i wanted not cost i went with much more expensive batteries than i could have gotten away with because of the profile i want this board to have

PARTS:

Motor (may upgrade at a later date) image

ESC image

Power/Batteries image

Wheels image

Trucks image

Mount image (See how it goes)

Gear & Pulleys image

Remote image

Charger image

BMS (Charge only) image

Updated this post 22nd December to reflect I’ve actually changed plenty of things due to the feedback from people / also changed my mind on a few things purchases are complete now (i think)

Man for $800 you make a fairly nice board. Those parts are not worth the money.

I would recommend 10s lipos, 190kv Keda motors, a vesc or two from flipsky or hobbyking (search eBay), bypass bms and charger.

Please take some of this advise, there is a reason not many use 6s and high kv motors. If you want a full parts list pm I can help you out with some that will work well.

Edit: I just read the bit about the evolve trucks, I think you should look into gulwing sidewinder trucks, they are essentially the same just narrower and welding some custom aluminium mounts to them

2 Likes

Thanks man I have been doing heaps of research but dont necessarily know what is good/bad apart from parts going well over budget so I just messed around heaps to try find something closer to is. PMd you would definitely appreciate a list

My first board was a 6s with high kv motors. I found this site a week later and started a 12s build. I don’t really ride the 6s anymore. Do your research. You’ll save in the long run. (Im not saying you should go 12s first build)

1 Like

Update:

MBS Wheels and Drive Chain/Pulleys have arrived

Loving the look exactly what I hoped for. I have the old trucks on it waiting on the Caliber II’s - also definitely going to need higher risers. Hoping with risers and longer trucks I wont get crazy wheel-bite of death.

20181217_131748

20181217_131740

Need to get longer screws from bunnings for this and some type of spacer

20181217_131733

2 Likes

Being from Brisbane here is my advice like @evoheyax has stated

Don’t be tight it’s like any cheap shit will just break especially if your gonna take this thing around Brisbane up hills and over the shithouse roads and footpaths.

I’ve gotten stuff from Tourqueboards and Flipsky which was delivered fast and so far has been reliable as. Don’t bother with Mboards if you don’t like waiting forever. Check your measurements carefully for enclosures because waiting for a new one takes forever from OS. Or just go check out Jaycar they have heaps of this stuff.

I built a foosted board copy-ish and it’s killed any hill so far that I can throw at it and I’m over 90kg. I just put a cheap eBay battery capacity monitor on it. Spend on a decent battery.

http://skatemetric.com/index.php/2018/07/03/ultimate-accessible-foosted-build-tutorial/

had not thought of that. thanks, enclosure is probably the main thing i’m struggling to find now

Oh, you can grab some 45mm washers from Bunnings, they fit perfectly. They work well as the outside retainer too

1 Like

siqq i was going to check that out and hoped it’d work! thanks!