High Power 10s Lipo Battery Pack with BMS

If you have any questions, we are here to help.

2 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ll share my experience when I get all the parts to start :slight_smile:

do you have volt cap tester coming off the bms? where does this usually get attached electricly?

I have my volt meter on the output side of the bms The positive lead goes to the battery positive and the negative lead goes to the bms P-

1 Like

Im just trying to confirm is whether or not I can come off my series adapter just before the esc since im not using a bms atm. Also if l am likely to get accurate readings.

@Namasaki or anyone:

Does bestech BMS 223V1 tend to lose about 0.8V in overall efficiency? Have the spec sheet.

Battery should be 50.3 but instead oscillating between 49.4 and 49.5V

1 Like

Did you check the battery voltage where the battery connects to B- on the bms? You know the bms e-switch wires have to be connected and the bms on when charging or testing voltage right?

1 Like

Nope I didnā€™t have the eswitch wires connected. Doing that now.

Lolā€¦ voila!!! It worksā€¦ thanks so much !!!

1 Like

Hello All Many Thanks Namasaki for this BMS project 10s1p using Turnigy 2s/5000mah/60c. As far as I understand you reach 16 miles range with 2 motors ?

I am curious to know How evolve board can reach 50 km rangeā€¦ and I would like to build an 30km range board. My eskate is 1 motor 6374 3.2kW (from alien) 1 Vesc and 15*36 gear ratio. With 2 batteries Zippy 5S 8000mAh in serial I get around 16km range.

Does anybody ever build battery system to get 30km range ? I am thinking to build such Namasaki battery system with 10s2p (4batteries 5S 8000mAh) connected to bestech ?

My actual tested range is 14 mile max on flat ground. Thatā€™s running my pack down to 33v and running dual 6355s. Mileage will vary depending on rider weight, wind conditions and riding style. Stop and go vs constant cruising. I also have a build with same batteries and with dual 6374s. It gets less mileage because the larger higher torque motors draw more current. I donā€™t have a single drive for actual comparison but my theory is that mileage will be similar with a single or dual because the load is the same. Your just working a single Vesc and motor twice as hard as each Vesc and motor with a dual drive. Unless you increase the load beyond the limits of a single Vesc and motor. Like climbing hills that are too steep for your single drive.

Thanks for info, for sure range depend on weight, flat ground, wheel, wind, straigh road ā€¦

1 or 2 motor should be sligtly the same, I think you even get more range with 1 motor because of electrical switching lose, thermal and coupling lose. As example Buffalo board seems to switch long range mode by deactiving one motor.

Hi! This thread has been the inspiration for my own battery build, 4 x 3s 8000 mah 30C Lipos with a 12s 80A Bestech BMS. Everything has arrived at my house, and after a lot of reading Im quite sure about what to do next. I used your wiring diagram and converted it to 12s (the male/female part are 5.5mm bullet connectors).

Having done this, I do still have a couple concerns. I read trough the whole thread and these are the questions I still wonder about. I would really appretiate if you could help me out! :slight_smile:

1. Should I configure my Focbox before connecting the BMS?

2. At what voltage should the individual batteries be at when connecting to the BMS? At the moment, they are charged to ā€œstorage voltageā€ = 3.8V

3. How do I check the voltage of each individual cell, in the best way? Do I simply unconnect one lead at a time from the balance lead connector (after having connected the batteries in series) and use a voltmeter?

4. In what order should the components be connected to the BMS? Should the battery positive and negative be connected before the balance leads? Should the focbox be connected before the battery?

Thanks a lot!

/Alex

1 Like

Iā€™m at work now but I will answer your questions this afternoon when I get home.

1 Like

Very interesting. You should definitely do a video of this for reference/tutorial! Good luck!

1 Like

Nice diagram! 1.Should I configure my Focbox before connecting the BMS? It doesnā€™t really matter.

2.At what voltage should the individual batteries be at when connecting to the BMS? At the moment, they are charged to ā€œstorage voltageā€ = 3.8V 3.8v is fine, 4.2v is fine, the important thing is that they are all the same voltage. But that should be done before putting the battery pack together.

4.In what order should the components be connected to the BMS? Should the battery positive and negative be connected before the balance leads? Should the focbox be connected before the battery? First make sure the bms is turned off at the on/off switch connected to the E-switch wires. Then connect the balance wires from the battery to the bms. Then you can connect the Battery neg to B- pad and the Focbox neg to the P- pad and the charge port neg to the C- pad Then connect the battery pos to the focbox positive and the charge port positive. Once everything is connected, double check your wiring and make sure itā€™s right. Then turn the bms on to power up the Focbox for an initial test. After the focbox finishes booting up, turn the bms off and connect the usb cable to the vesc and your PC and then turn the bms on again. After the focbox boots up, open your Vesc tool or BLDC tool which ever you have and program the vesc. Remember to turn the bms on when charging.

Oops, I missed number 3.

3.How do I check the voltage of each individual cell, in the best way? Do I simply unconnect one lead at a time from the balance lead connector (after having connected the batteries in series) and use a voltmeter? You could first Turn the bms off, then unplug the balance wire connectors from the bms and check the battery voltage at the pins of the balance wire connector coming from the battery.

neg probe on battery neg main and pos probe on pin for bal wire 1 to measure cell 1 neg probe on pin for bal wire 1 and pos probe on pin for bal wire 2 to measure cell 2 neg probe on pin for bal wire 2 and pos probe on pin for bal wire 3 to measure cell 3 follow this pattern all the way to cell 12. This is one way that you can check individual cell voltages with a multimeter. The pins are very close together so be very carful no to touch the neg and pos probes together while testing or you will cause a short.

11 Likes

Good tutorial @Namasaki. I was gonna do the same today but ran out of time.

1 Like

This is amazing! Thank you for taking your time, everything just got a lot easier for me! This forum is the best! :grinning:

2 Likes

If only Namasaki had a tip jarā€¦

4 Likes

I was Reading This topic filled with knowledge for half an hour Cant get to the bottom maybe some other time :joy: Great topic Bruh. Iā€™ve bought 3 (3s 8000mah 30c) zippy lipos for 81euro was that a good deal for range and power? I will run mono (190kv 2kw motor)

after reading this I got the Li-onā€™s are better out of my head! I thought I was cheaping out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Is my setup better than 9s3p q30?

Itā€™s close, the MAH is still a little bit lower, the amp delivery should be better, as always the charge cycles are less with LIPOā€™s

1 Like