High Power 10s Lipo Battery Pack with BMS

why this switch is useless? the BMS has the E-switch built-in… i dont understand that :slight_smile:

1 Like

The electronics for the E-switch are built into the bms. There are 2 wires coming from the bms that have to be connected to a physical on/off switch.

The switch that comes with the charge port is useless because it is a momentary switch, not an on/off switch.

2 Likes

@Namasaki you helped me out allot so I have another question for you (other may also help, no problem haha).

Is this gonna work or am I going to destroy everything :smile:

I connected the BMS to the charger, this way I didn’t need to fit it into my board. Connected the C- to the charger -. And the B- is going out the the charger port, so to the - of the lipo. Got the eswitch connected to a simple on/off switch, the one with just two poles, to be able to switch it on and off. I just need to connect the balance wires, but that something that’s always necessary. There is an anti-spark and switch between the VESC and the lipo’s so in theory with the board off there will be no power from the charger that goes to the VESC. Which should make it extra save for the VESC.

This should work, but I haven’t seen this before so I just wanted to check. I might have missed something important that ill blow everything up :joy:

1 Like

I can’t tell much by the picture. Make a diagram and post it and I’ll take a look

In short it’s like the image. Only thing missing from the image to keep it simple is the charger port and socket. And the part where the wire from the lipo goes to the anti-spark. (which are coming from the same connector as the wires the charge port uses)

When looking at the diagram I noticed there is nothing different from wiring it directly to the lipo except for the P- not being used. Which in this case is not needed.

1 Like

I need to see everything in the diagram or else I can’t say it’s good or not. And are you bypassing discharge? And if yes, why bypass with an 80a bms ?

Ok added the missing pieces.

And I’m not sure what you mean by bypassing discharge. I’m just taking the BMS out off the board and ‘into’ the charger. (lipo balance wires will be connected to the BMS, but not drawn, BMS has an e-switch)

1 Like

I’ve never seen a bms used this way but I guess it will work for charging although you will have to have the bms e-switch on while charging and you will need to keep it connected and on after charging to balance the battery

1 Like

Yeah that’s the problem, I’ve never seen it before either hehe. But this will save quite some space.

Did some testing and the power is not cut by the e-switch (that’s what you meant) So I think it doesn’t need a switch, I can just connect the wires permanently to prevent errors.

Need to print a small enclosure and than I’ll use it on my lipos :hushed:

Thanks for the help again.

That bms has to be switched on for charging so you will need to connect a switch to it.

1 Like

If the wires are always connected it’s the same as a switch that is on right? Don’t think it knows there is a switch. The circuit is either complete or interrupted, right?

You need to be able to turn it off before disconnecting it from the battery. And turn it on after the battery is connected. So you need a switch.

1 Like

I will connect the battery before switching on the whole contraption. And pull the plug when everything is recharged.

Still need a switch then? I’m not really sure how the e-switch works then hehe.

You should turn the bms off before pulling the plug and disconnecting the balance wires.

Just connect an on/off switch to the 2 white wires.

1 Like

@Namasaki HI, you’ve inspired me to go with a lipo pack. It looks like you’ve really looked into this and everyone owes you a great debt of gratitude! I’ve plumped for these.https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-5000mah-2s2p-hardcase-w-5mm-female-bullet-connector.html They were flagged by someone as being a crazy price, what do you reckon? I think they’re going to make a pretty usable pack. Also sent over your bms info to get a quote for 2. If anyone else wants to get one from around the UK area there may be better prices to be had with more orders?

I heard the Graphenes are really good and the price is good deal. I recommend buying an extra set if you can. And thanks for the props

Just ordered the BMSs and two sets of batteries…(10) Got to have your backup…!

Especially at that price. They won’t be on sale later. Just storage charge the extras and put them away. I have 5 extra of the batteries that I use.

So, those graphenes look like they don’t need balancing and can just use a regular Lipo charger? But how would you set these up with a bms? Would it work to wire them up in series and hook up to a bms as 10s with no balance wires?

All lithium multi cell batteries need balance charging. A bms will not even work if you don’t connect the balance wires. this is how you connect them. On the graphenes, the center socket is for the cell one balance wire. Cell 2 balance wire connects to the main positive output.

7 Likes