Help Deciding Parts for a TrampaBuild

Wow such great customer service!

I’ll send in a THIRD order shortly.

Thanks again for everything.

So after some more thought into this, I’ve noticed a lot of areas for improvements as well as some additional questions. When I initially spoke with someone over at DIYelectricskateboards I asked them about compatibility and they told me multiple times that the 12s4p battery would work with a Trampaboard just fine - no issues (he was wrong)…

First improvement: Getting FOCboxes instead of TB ESCs. Thanks @JLabs again!

Second: The battery appears incompatible with the deck. The schematic online shows “ca.35mm” (which is not just .01inches), so i’m pursuing alternatives. I would like to avoid LiPo’s because of all the issues I have heard about them. So if anyone has a “Trampaboard 35* LONG mountainboard” and could measure the interior space between bindings and the concave part that would be great. Looks like I might need to do a top mount if I can get an enclosure to fit between the bindings. Unfortunately they’re schematics lack these measurements. On that topic, I know there are custom enclosure builders out there, but are there any battery boxes that can house this beast? @psychotiller has some close, but not quiet 1.75" deep.

Otherwise if someone can really sell me on why to get LiPo’s for a 12s4p setup, I may switch, but I am not super knowledgeable as it sits. Links to reliable chargers would be good. Also enclosure recommendations? It would probably have to be top mount, mounting on the back seems a bit too heavy. It’s my understanding you charge each LiPo pack separately, correct? Do I need multiple chargers then? I know https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-6200mah-6s-40c-lipo-pack-xt90-1.html?mode=list are pretty standard/good - anyone have any good/bad experiences?

Battery Dimensions Inches - 14" Length, 5.51" Width, 1.73" Height. Battery Dimensions MM - 355.6mm Length * 140mm Width * 44mm Height

Would I be better getting a custom battery/enclosure? I’d be happy to see your guys’ thoughts. Anyone know any good builders for 12s4p with 30q’s?

I’ve also been speaking with Frank from Trampaboard, and trying to figure out exactly what type of board to get, but it will probably be similar to:

Third: It sounds like 12s4p is the way to go for this, but if it causes this much of a hassle with the battery, and I probably don’t need the extra distance/speed, should I go to 12s2p? Obviously the battery would not be flexible, but it would at least fit in a decent enclosure.

Forth: How hard would it be to take the 12s4p battery apart and re-configure it to fit in a smaller/better form-factor?

Sorry to turn into “that guy” that doesn’t know anything… Just lost my footing when even an expert put me down the wrong track.

Thanks again, y’all have been great! DevilzAngelz

DONT go with 12s2p on a mountainboard! 12s4p is kind of minimum If you want decent range without too much voltage sag. There is alot of users here that makes custom li-ion batteries, like @barajabali . They can make all sorts of configurations, so that you can fit the batteries on top of the deck, or under the deck, depending on What you want.

If you cant throw $500+ on a custom battery, I would suggest going with lipos. You can Get some 12s 12Ah(equiliant to 12s4p) for around $300. By going with lipos you dont need to Solder or spotweld anything, which is a huge + for many.

Thank you for the input.

Definitely sounds like 12s4p are the way to go (which was my original intent anyways).

I have a few questions with going LiPo’s though. It seems like the perfect solution, but i’m apprehensive.

1. Charging, primarily how? I know balancers exist, but how would I ensure each battery is exactly the same charge to reduce damage? Would I just have to take them off and measure them every so often? Looks like there are guides out here that shows how to charge them all at once. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/guide-how-to-charge-lipo-batteries-without-removing-them-from-the-board/34254
  2. What chargers are good? Any “name brand” ones that are affordable? Is something like this any good?https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-SKYRC-Professional-Balancing-Discharger/dp/B017Y2G4Y2
  3. When running LiPo’s, are there any hidden costs like a BMS/switch that I would need to worry about?
  4. Would something like https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1120-Case-Foam-Black/dp/B0051QIBUE work as an enclosure, just drill a few holes and chaulk them up again when done for water resistance?
  5. Would the 6s 6200mah batteries work? Obviously 2 in series for 12s, and two of those in parallel?

Thanks again!

Charge one time and drive a complete week daily. I want such a battery

Idealy you would Balance Charge the lipos every time to ensure that they are balanaced

Any imax b6 charger (clone) should be sufficient

You dont Need a bms but a anti spark Switch (or loopkey) starts at 5$

Mayne People here are using Pelikan case with good success!

Depends on the c-Rating. if you have 12S 6200mah you should get at least 30C (Marketing 30C = real word 20C = 120A)

Charging can be done in 2 different ways. Individual balance charging with a balance charger, and using a bms and a normal brick charger. The BMS method is the same as the one used with li-ions. I would have gone the BMS way, as its way less hassle, and you dont need to take the batteries in and out all the time. 2. The one you linked to is a good quality. Most people use copies of this exact one, as they are half the price. 3. You could either buy an BMS with integrated ON/OFF switch, buy an separate ON/OFF switch or just use an XT90-S loop key switch. 4. Yep, thats the kind of cases most E-MTB guys use. Size of the case will depend on what batteries and such you get. 5. I dont know exactly what batteries these are, but if the C-rating is 25+ I dont see any problems using them.

Lastly, you will get a lot more amp output ability from LiPos vs Li-ions, which is a huge plus for most :grin:

Edit: Dang it, @DeathCookies was faster !

But you wrote it in more Detail :wink: it is good that we have two Messages: he can see the consence and get more impressions

1 Like

For motor mounts you might want to check out @Idea wares. Imo he’s got the sickest looking mounts.

1 Like

Hello DeathCookies,

Thanks for your input.

I will probably have to continue doing research into LiPo charging, I want to make sure nothing goes wrong!

I will probably get the iMax one, unless you have a link to a good one from Amazon or something.

A loopkey seems like a great idea, I accounted for it in the “additional hardware” - but definitely seems good to get.

I picked out a Pelican 1200 case. I will obviously have to drill holes for power i/o, loopkey, and maybe an LCD battery indicator, and mounts. Is there anything else that would I’d need to drill for? I plan to put it on the back of the board (tentative) so that I can run sensored motors with the FOCboxes would be completely enclosed.

The batteries are listed above and are “ZIPPY Compact 6200mAh 6s 40c Lipo Pack w/ XT90” so they should be good.

Thanks again for your insights!

Hello FredrikHems,

Thank you for your input.

I plan on using LiPo’s now, since that appears to be the way to go. More research will be required though! Any input you have is greatly appreciated regarding charging, wiring, balancing, etc. Still kinda new to LiPo’s.

I will probably just buy the one I linked unless you have a good reputable seller for the clones.

I plan on doing a loopkey, it just seems the most simple way to do it, right?

I picked out the pelican 1200 case and it looks like it should be compatible. I did some rough 3d modeling and the volume comparisons appear to be good.

The batteries were listed above, and are “ZIPPY Compact 6200mAh 6s 40c Lipo Pack w/ XT90” So definitely should be good for this type of project.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Looks like I found a new set of Trampa mounts. Screw paying $300 for them!

Buying from someone here on the forum for ~$150.

https://allterraincreations.com/

1 Like

Oh yeah, @Rithblu mounts are awesome. He also has pulleys.

The only thing with lipo is the inconvenience of charging if you don’t use BMS. I would get 2 of the cheap chargers or a good dual charger.
Usually get a little over a mile for 1Ah, so maybe get extra batteries if budget permits. Its fun to ride and waiting for batteries to charge is not.

1 Like

Hello DialatedPupils,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, they are very professional looking, and at a good price. Unfortunately, I could not locate pulleys on @Rithblu 's website. Do you by chance have a link? I tried searching his forum posts as well and didn’t notice anything, but I might have missed them.

I plan to get the charger I listed above (iMAX B6AC), unless someone has a good recommendation. It appears to have 2 outputs for 6s, so it hopefully wont take too long.

I’m really hoping I will start using my board more often! Currently I charge mine about once every week or two, but only because I hate the voltage sag, otherwise it would go a bit further per charge. I am not too concerned about charging times, but I will definitely look into

Best, DevilzAngelz

Unfortunately, I’m not offering pulleys anymore at this time.

Alright,

Next problem: Pulleys and belts!

Potential options:

Trampa’s: 14tooth (motor) and 66tooth (wheel)?

Belts: TrampaAmazon

Gosh I feel bad for asking you guys to basically make my build for me! I thought I had everything planned out, definitely glad I asked before impulse buying.

Thanks a bunch!

I recently took apart my Trampa Urban Carver and I still have parts left from it. I have a 14T motor pulley, 66T wheel. I have 2 Zippy Lipos 6S 6200mah 40C. I have the mount for 1 motor. Also 1 belt. Lmk if your interested in any.

. For now I’m keeping the deck and trucks unless the offer is right.

1 Like

[12s4p LiPo’s] (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-6200mah-6s-40c-lipo-pack-xt90-1.html?mode=list5) — $350, depending on shipping.

$350 that’s for 4 packs right? Won’t that make 12s2p?

Are you putting your batteries and focbox in one box?

Yes, that’s 12s2P, 12400mah. 2x6s in series (12 cells) connected in parallel to double mah (2p).

Should be enough for around 25km, depending on weight and environment.

Instead of the imax charger I can recommend the isdt q6 plus with a 24v 15-20a power supply. You can charge two lipos at roughly 1c, meaning charging all four with a balance board should take take slightly less than 2 hours (lipos are typically drained only 20-30%). With the imax it will take more than 5 hours.