Has it finally been figured out? 1 motor 2wd

@jmasta If you pair them with a board that angles the rear trucks so that they are angled down to 0?

Maybe something like this, landyachtz.com used to make one that was angled at 50 degrees at the back so 50 degree calibers would work.

Yeah, are you talking about the Landyachtz R5? It had a steep rear wedge, which allowed you to mount the rear truck backwards and it ended up at 0°. Very clever design. That would definitely be a option, but I doubt you can get that board anymore. The Evo is +15/-15, so you’d still need a 15° baseplate to fully level out the truck

Wedging to 0° would be extremely difficult with normal baseplates. Even a 15° angle change usually necessitates drilling angled holes in the board.

Your best bet would be a custom 0° plate. At that angle the geometry becomes very simple, and it would be pretty easy to make on a manual mill. I have seen companies sell these plates before, but they are definitely rare. The other option would be an adjustable BP… most of the designs out there don’t go to 0 though

Well, you don’t really need to drill angled holes, all you need are two sets of holes on a custom angled riser, so you get straight holes from the deck to the riser and straight holes from the riser to the baseplate. This would be pretty easy to manufacture

Yea for sure, that would work. If you’re going from 50° to 0°, that’d be one giant wedge though! I am pretty decent with a mill, and I still think a custom 0° plate would be easier to machine than the wedge.

Cindrich used to make 0° baseplates, but I have no idea if he’s still in the game. It was designed for Randals but would work with Caliber hangars

You know that even with a 0 degree baseplate the outside wheels still turn more than the inside wheels. It doesnt solve the problem.

It depends on the truck geometry. A 0° RKP truck with inline axles does not turn. It only leans.

Yeah but the wheels still turn regardless of truck geometry. Its physics don’t argue.

2 Likes

Yep, the outside wheel as to turn more because the radius of the turn is bigger on the outside. Im just wondering how much of a problem this is, since in cars a locked rear diff, while a bit annoying doesn’t bring huge problems.

1 Like

What I would assume would happen, is that when you take a turn at decent speed, you could lose traction in the back wheels creating some type of drift. But it would most likely be very uncontrollable. This is due to the fact that the longboard wheels have much less traction than something like a car tire. All terrain wheels could help to keep traction in the corners.

Also, a bad solution could to be completely lock the back trucks from angling. Like metal bushings, and get double cone bushings for the front.

This still wouldn’t fix the problem, but it could help slightly with losing traction.