Hardware Compression Cell Holders (Published Link on #268)

You must be the guy who came up with the NESE modules right?

Edit: yup checked his page out. So take what he says with a grain of salt - he might be biased.

2 Likes

Very kind way to say that. Good on you.

3 Likes

I actually just get the tabs and they are pretty inexpensive given the quality. I buy the 5 tabset, enough for 10S4P for about $31(including shipping). Everything else you can buy for peanuts. Of course this all makes sense if you have access to a 3D printer.

When you see assembled modules bursting into flames every few weeks and on the other hand there are videos of these modules pushing 200A even when under vibration, it is kinda weird to be dismissive about these modules. image

1 Like

i dont own a 3d printer so i bought the hole NESE set and compared to a welded pack or buying a spotwelder this is even cheaper and modular. also shipping something light like these modules is very cheap, even world wide. I like your project @Winfly but i dont understand your stance towards NESE modules.

Sorry, but biased on what? The man here posted things that are not completly truth. He point that my design is huge when in fact hes just a hair smaller. If thats biased, take a calculator. He says that shipping will cost more, well, check usps prices with the ones on my webshop. Have in mind that my prices include packaging etc. Where is my biase here? My price is a monopoly? WTF does that even mean? When you buy cells, do they cost the same? Or perhaps more power dense ones are more expensive? The price reflects product. If you dont spend much time and finances in developing it, it might be cheap but it will most definetely be worse.

8 Likes

Then why are you posting here after 100 comments?

Why not? Just read hes first post, he makes false statements about my product and i defend it as i see fit. Have no bad feelings for this man, just clarifying sayed things that are wrong or inaccurate.

I just think it’s weird that you’ve comment on here several times since the topic was started and you’re just now deciding to be upset about the first post. I don’t wanna derail the topic more then it already has.

1 Like

I think he should add something that will be the compression material and not using the 3D print plastic. Foam. A reliable compressible On endless sphere people showed using thinner copper and stacking it showed better contact and less resistance than one thick copper contact.

There’s a lot of people who are doing well using magnets on the terminals to get compression. The magnets are somewhat conductive plated in copper n nickel but it’s pretty thin and people use copper foil layers between the cell n magnets.

3 Likes

So I did a thing. CADding bug bit me hard today and thought of completing 1 more thing. I had the NESE tabs lying around so thought why not try out a @Winfly style 4P pack just for fun. I intend to use just braided copper directly without using tabs at all but that’s for next weekend maybe. So here’s what I got. It’s the same height as NESE btw(22mm). I think, I stayed true to how @agniusm designed NESE and combined it with Winfly’s idea.

render1 render2 render3

4 Likes

Nice Rendering. Tips: if you are using strips, since it’s rigid, you can fillet the corner instead of rounding the ends. That way the 3d printed piece will be have more volume and thus stronger layer adhesion. I’ve cracked a few by over tightening it and it always splits along the opening for the copper strip to pass through.

2 Likes

Thanks, I was worried about that too. It’s in the printer right now, will come out in an hour or so. Whenever I have these suspect cases, I always put quite a bit of superglue and let it soak in. Never delaminates after that.

1 Like

@Winfly, did you get your braided sleeve yet?

yup. looking good and it has some bend. can’t wait to load test these packs to see how they will preform. They are rated for 40A but we will see. 15377584185494962668861964693905 15377584541577798729694304217056

6 Likes

That’s awesome, so you are in fact using just the braided sleeve. You mean the braided cable is rated for 40Amps? maybe you can double it to get more amps?

Dude, you gotta give it a bit more gap, it will flex nicely.

1 Like

yeah the tin plated braided copper sleeve is 40A. I can give it a wider gap but that’s up to you to decide and depend on how flexible you want it to be. Also i think it can flex more if I make the opening wider.

3 Likes

would continuous flexing of the braid cause fatigue over time and eventually snap it?

I guess that is to be seen. The same will hold in my setup too. Thankfully my board is not too flexible. But it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Even when it breaks it won’t happen suddenly. If you open the enclosure every 2 weeks or so, you should be able to see it start to fray(if at all it does that)

1 Like

Yeah thats the worst case I was thinking of as well. but maybe it just may not happen if the flex is minimal like on the Hummie decks that it wouldn’t fatigue it all that much. Good question is how to accurately test it in a controlled environment I suppose

Edit: Or I just test out the long term stress myself once these become available :laughing:

1 Like

just realized i missed answering something. my plan is to have both copper strip busbar and braided copper available. one for rigid, one for flex.

3 Likes