Hardware Compression Cell Holders (Published Link on #268)

Moving away from hummie’s thread.

Afaik NESE is the only high preformance non solder battery pack in the market. I do agree that it is a good design and he has put in a lot of effort to ensure it’s safety. Not to say that it’s full of flaws, but there are a few things I would like to improve on:

1. Cost
    • It’s kind of expensive. €103.35 for a 10s4p module to ship to the US
  2. Size
    • it got that extended part for screws terminals. I don’t see it as a necessity. It adds length to the whole P group and IMO length is pretty important since most battery packs are made laying the 18650s along the length of the deck

With that in mind changing these are my design principle:

1. Low Cost
  2. Easily mass produced and distributed
  3. Compact

See picture below. This is a prototype 12s4p pack with:

• 3d printed PETG
  • Secured solely with simple hardware (M3)
  • 0.6x10mm copper (6mm^2 cross section, basically 10 guage wire)
  • Pressed copper strip for cell terminal isolation
  • 4mm gaps between series (2x 2mm cell holder wall all around)
  • U-shaped wiring

V0.2 image image

• Round corners
  • 1mm space for folding copper and balance wire
  • more polygons for aesthetic

V0.1 (~73x78x24mm) image15368268089156611136625110575527

29 Likes

Following this. Definitely interested. Just take my money.

If you need a complete Noob to test them out to prove how easy they are to use let me know lol

8 Likes

Take my money too please :pensive: Great to see more of these compression pack options surfacing I’m interested in double stack options too!

Damn @skunk beat me to it :laughing:

1 Like

Do i See that right that a rod is holding both sides?

Yeah noticed that too. Maybe to increase the structural tolerances?

I can’t see a thing on my Samsung potato

2 Likes

LOL which version of the Samsung Galaxy P do you have?

there are 2 connecting “rod” screwed in. There are 4 holes. But I think 2 in diagonal is enough and cheaper15368268089156611136625110575527

2 Likes

More excited after seeing them up close. What p groups do you plan to make?

1 Like

design can be any #p single, double stack. honestly this is so easy to make with a 3d printer. the only profit i can foresee is sourcing and producing in bulk.

2 Likes

How well do they handle concaved decks or flex?

I want a 3d printer even more now after seeing these :neutral_face:

This one is my prototype v0.1. 0.2 currently has rounded corner and room for a fold between series for flexibility. I’m worry about fatigue tho.

1 Like

Fatigue solely placed on the series tabs?

can you put up more pictures. maybe edit the first post for better overview. where do you connect the modules and where would you put the balance wires from the bms?

1 Like

ok updated with CAD, too lazy to take apart what I have. it will only take me like 1 minute but im too lazy. :joy:

it’s intuitive to solder the balance wire right between the cell holders.

1 Like

i can relate to that^^ i myself have the NESE modules but maybe for my commuter i need something smaller and lighter

1 Like

the v0.2 looks even better!

a set of 12s4p printed at 100% infill weights about ~350g + the hardware and copper

So these are able to safely draw roughly about equal amount of amps as a nese module seeing as you’re using the same copper/hardware? not sure how much of a difference in measurements the tabs are between the two. I recall nese doing about 200a or something like that