Hardware Compression Cell Holders (Published Link on #268)

Might be thinking too far. But once I can mass produce them, I don’t mind releasing the files. It’s pretty easy to CAD it yourself either.

You know I have at least received 20+ likes from you and skunk in the past few hours. :joy:

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve attempted something like this but never went through

2 Likes

Yeah @skunk and I tend to throw hearts around often and spread the love. You’ll likely get more as this progresses :relaxed:

2 Likes

Do you mean the designing or getting it funded?

1 Like

I just designed it. And never really tested it

1 Like

Yeah I guess you also got a spot welder and then decided it’s not worth the time. I have the Korean boss spot welder too but I still don’t trust myself even through I spam welded and triple plated my pack. The welds disintegrated after a few rides on my first pack attempt, kapton tape and paper ring saved my ass. So I spam welded my current one.

1 Like

I really like these, mainly on the cost side and size, that’s what put me off using NESE, but a few thoughts

As I understand there is nothing between the cooper strip and the 3D printed case right? Every polymer relax with time, even more with heat, what may be compressed today can be completely loose in a year, it’s worse from the outer cells that’s don’t have two screws holding

Also, I would highly recommend going 4 screws even if it’s more expensive, maybe to screw one side and nut on the other. There is some large brass screws that can go from on side to the other, that for the same reason, with relaxation the modules will twist and you would end up with a really small contact área

Back to the compression strip, @agniusm went really far to find a material that would keep the pressure really well after a long time, I don’t remember if he ever said what it is since that the secret of his modules, it’s worth take a look

Besides that I think it’s has a lot o potential

Good luck

1 Like

another idea: instead of a nickel strip make it fit an 10AWG wire with the insulation removed and the insulation still there between groups - that way you could build an entire pack by chaining them together and they’d be flexible in between individual P groups.

2 Likes

The size difference is 0.141L per 4P nese vs 0.136L 4p here if i am not mistaken through a quick browse. Nese has exposed terminals so wiring bms and in general is more convenient. I had to design it so its easy to use even for a first time builder. Regarding price i wont denie that ita on the expensive side but considering that the hardware is not off the hardware store shelve and demand is limited due to the size of the nishe market. As I invested a lot of my personal money and time I want to be able to earn a little from this venture. I do try to have stuff available for people to dowbload and diy for free if they wish and have many photos tests end expanations posted if someone cares about that (it was discused on material used for compresion) but i cant support diy’ers explaining each in detail how to make it themselves for free, mainly cause of lack of time. I always salute new ideas like this. Compression is always underlooked so my advise would be to investigate that. Vruzend did not put too much thought into it and i lt would be good to see othewise.

8 Likes

Look at Nickel Plated Spring Steel, its what battery holders in all battery operated devices use for compression terminals. Ive used them myself on other projects. You can get off the shelf ones called keystone terminals, they work extremely well on 3d parts, they are just a little expensive.

1 Like

Hmmmm. Take my money! Following! Great work!

1 Like

Yeah, well, steel is good for your tv remote or arduino project. Not so much pulling 10s of amps. Further more in situations where vibrations are constant. It might be ok but its taking chances. You dont want take chances with flamables :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seeing that my 10s battery for my second hummie deck isn’t gonna work out (as of a few hours ago) I’m even more interested. Hopefully the timeline on the first version isn’t to far out.

1 Like

can you make your design fit for other battery formats (20700, 21700,26650)? or are you limited to 18650. just curious.

1 Like

its a very basic 3D printed part - you obviously can modify the size to fit 20700

1 Like

How about braided copper wire instead of copper sheet? You would think that’d be very good at least for series connections.

1 Like

I’ve seen this done with Series groups on NESE by @mishrasubhransu and it looks pretty good while allowing flex in more directions from what it seems

ah i thought he made them to fit special tabs like nese but if we can basicly slap in what we want then sure yeah, that sounds interesting

forgot to point out that these will allow easy swapping of individual cells and should be able to allow us to get boards on flights now as the packs can be disassembled to the bare cells same pros as the nese which is always nice to have I think :smile:

the thought of dismantling my battery is giving me nightmares, even with nese…all the work of the placement of balance wires and such

1 Like