Hardware Compression Cell Holders (Published Link on #268)

i think what gave out was the plastic because of the heat, the tabs themself could handle it good.

1 Like

I would love to do some testing before promising anything. Idk if I have the equipment to do that. I will need to find them on my college campus. yes I’m a college student and I need to do hw but instead I just browsed the forum for the past couple of hours. fml

3 Likes

What would be the dimensions?

If your cells are hotter han 60-65c you need yo change your cells

Heat shrink would hold it really tight plus some hot glue between the p groups and that should be a brick of a pack

1 Like

we were talking about the test agnisium did to showcase his module

~73x78x24mm. that is true for rigid pack v0.1 + some modification

1 Like

Just a thought: spacing the cells further apart would make the P group larger but you could move the bolts inline. Would give you a slimmer pack (at the obvious expense of a wider pack) but also give the cells some “air” to dissipate heat better (just like the regular 18650 holders one can buy). If you shrinkwrap the metal nut you could position it directly between two cells.

I did considered that. I favored the current design over because I think the limiting factor of battery size is it’s length rather than height. You can’t pack as many in if you bolt it inline also you will need to make a hole on the copper strip so the bolt don’t short the 2 sides

2 Likes

No problem and completely understandable. If you need help with real world esk8 testing I’m sure there would be a number of guys up for it!

I would bu still trying to get my first build off the ground(or rolling in this case) but could test out later iterations when I can :smile:

you should get bolts out of nylon anyway if possible - they are much lighter than the metal versions and non conductive.

I did see some nylon bolt and standoff on Aliexpress earlier. Didn’t want to wait for the shipping. I will get some somewhere to test if it holds up under stretch.

Try to find one locally and try to become acquainted with him/her there are many people who have a printer but don’t utilize them that much or only sporadically.

Many of these ppl like to sare there experiences and often the hardware, too. It will be a huge gain to actually see a running printer and failed prints to improve your own knowledge. If he/her is a good guy he can give you leftovers or parts that might help you.

Overall I recommend personal experiences first, you will learn and improve your designs faster it is also the best way to evaluate to buy one yourself or if 3dprinting services are enough for your usecase.

You can probably find such people with 3dprinting related subreddits, 3dprint service sites (these where everyone can offer a service) or even FB (there are a few 3dprinting groups most often related to specific printers).

1 Like

hobbyking has nylon bolts and nuts for like 10cts each

just need to find the right lengths…

1 Like

Whoops I thought that was to me.

I want to eventually do injection molding. To get a good print of these takes way too long. cura quoted 30+ Hr for a 12s4p set at 100% infill, 0.2 layer height. And you all know cura estimate is bullshit. My CR-10 can’t handle petg at 0.3. Or I haven’t found a good setting for 0.3. (talking about v0.1 haven’t printed any of the new one yet)

1 Like

Not gonna hide. It’s kinda obvious too. I’m using 2x 30mm m3 screws and a 20mm female threaded standoff.

Appreciated the insight. I’d hate to have to buy a printer but not see it printing something often enough and just collect dust. I’ll take your advice and find someone that would be willing to teah me a thing or two before I decide to buy one. Maybe an ender 3 or cr-10

I recall nylon “expiring” after a year? Is that something to consider as well?

Recommend the Ender over CR 10. There’s currently a “sale” on gearbest And i bought one. It’s an EU plug sold in NA warehouse but you can just buy a US plug cord from amazon.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! I don’t mind paying you and @hummie once these go live to show some support for the project then probably consider printing them myself after :grin:

1 Like