Hand Carved Hollow Top mount. Pine w/ Danish Oil

About 1.5", but I’ll run it through the planer a couple of passes before I join the pieces to make sure they joint well. I’m going to wing it a little with the size, but maybe down to 1.25" and a little under 1.5" with the lid.

Do you think 1 inch(25.4mm) deep going to be too small? I know 18650 cell diameter is about 18.5mm(0.7 inch). Is there any reason you went for 1.5"?

No matter what I can always make some adjustments. If the sizing doesn’t work out, I"ll replace the middle layer with a slightly thicker piece. I think at 1.5" I’ll be able to make it work, though. I’m giving .75" for battery thickness, to be on the safe side… The bottom board is .75" thick and routed down .55" to fit the pack. The middle is straight hollow @.75", so we are looking at about 1.3" of gap before the top is added. Should leave me .55" wiggle room. .25" gap top and bottom + .05" We’ll see what works!! [quote=“Michaelinvegas, post:19, topic:2616, full:true”] Lol make two… I want one lol [/quote] Let me work the bugs out and I’ll hook you up!

1 Like

Lol oh snap…

20 useless words

Coming along…Waiting for parts stilll…UUURRRGGHHH…

9 Likes

Sick :eyes:

See all that space for lighting and other stuff? Sweet…One of my next builds is going to have lights and a small power amp for rocking jams while cruising. That front compartment on the nose would make a great little speaker box. Once I get my CNC machine setup, I’m going to be popping different models out on a regular basis.LOL :smile: :

1 Like

I’ll take the kick me downs lol

1 Like

And throw a 4" subwoofer in the trunk. Lol. That thing looks awesome! I’m glad you kind of explained what’s going on there, cause I was trying to wrap my head around your design. Very cool shapes and angles.

1 Like

Don’t forget the fuzzy dice :game_die::game_die::sunglasses:

1 Like

@mobutsan Thanks for the kind words, brutha!! It is also designed for airflow as well. Two intake ports towards the nose and two exhaust ports near the tail.

@Michaelinvegas Fuzzy dice? Never leave home without em’!! :wink:

10 Likes

Inspired work! I hope your parts arrive promptly so you can continue post haste.

1 Like

ME too, brutha!! I’ve been waiting since FEB!! It’s been an exercise in patience. I’m still very hungry to learn more, so it has been kind of a blessing that I have had to wait. Instead of rushing into a build just to get myself rolling, I decided to try something new!!

Got the bottom layers glued up and tomorrow it should be ready for the next round of shaping and sanding.

The top is prepped and ready to be fitted.

Decided to recycle the cuttout piece and make it into a sign. More sanding and shaping needed there too. (I really don’t know why I do this to myself.) LOL

9 Likes

That should read SIcK!

Looks sweet…come on man…Getter Done!!!

Just :heart: the clean look of that wood…it’s like I can smell it

1 Like

Thanks brutha! Once the glue dries, it should go pretty quick from there. I want to get it done soon!! Of course, I’m still waiting for parts. Classic. Once I get my electrical, I can finish up. Space is tight, so I don’t want to just start making adjustments without knowing the actual fit of the components. I already have a few designs drawn up for the next build.

1 Like

Looks sweet! With all that hand crafted action, how cool would it be to add a hand carved texture to the top for grip? I don’t know how fictional it would be in practice but it sure would look cool.

4 Likes

I got a bit more done. The clamps are off and I sanded it down and did a little more shaping. Glue joints are tight and clean. This sucker has absolutely ZERO flex!! I’m seriously reconsidering the carbon fiber and thinking about going with a fiberglass layer to let the woodgrain show. Any thoughts? Criticism? I can take it! LOL

11 Likes

That looks incredible!! If you don’t mind me asking, how do you manage to clamp the board without leaving marks from the clamps?

1 Like

Thanks man! When it comes to clamps the main thing is to make sure that you have a very flat clamping force. Any wonky angles and it will dig into the wood. Otherwise, keep clamping pressure from being too extreme. You don’t need to clamp it down with a huge amount of force. The glue will bond just fine as long as the mating surfaces are in solid contact. I do a dry fit first before I put the glue on. If there are any gaps or big voids then the surfaces need to be flattened more to seat. If you can get the surfaces to seat pretty good without clamps, then it will be easy and require much less clamping force. I use Tightbond 2 wood glue. Works better than anything I have tried to date. Including Tightbond 3. IF I do get some denting, I take a wet cloth and put it over the dent. Then I use a hotknife to push down and “steam” the dent out. Works like a charm. You can also use a wet cloth and a heat gun or hair dryer.

1 Like