GROUP BUY: Upgraded Ownboard ESC + hub motor + remote

Ooof. The ‘old’ listing is still live on the mobile website. For now, you can only access the updated listings in the desktop version of the website.

Update: Mobile site is fixed. Shouldn’t be anymore 404 errors.

Here are the updated listings.

Domestic: https://ridepredator.com/shop/usa-banshee-2-0-upgrade-kit/

International: https://ridepredator.com/shop/global-banshee-2-0-upgrade-kit/

Cheers,

Order placed.

edit: will this have the push to turn on feature?

2 Likes

Mmm I wanted 2 sets, but $400 vs my initially perceived $340 dropped me to 1 unit. I may change my mind!

Thanks @PredatorBoards

Do these ESC’s need a heatsink plate?

I know the ownboards use a metal enclosure which acts as one, so not sure if its recommended.

Also do you know if the on/off switch is a momentary switch? or is it latching and stays depressed while on?

They always use such tiny switches, I like to upgrade to a big one, so would like to know since they take forever to come from china.

The ESC is still encased in the metal casing. I think it’s fine for the most part, as it barely gets warm to the touch after prolonged use. The power switch is momentary, meaning the ESC is capable of automatically shutting off if left unattended for a prolonged amount of time.

I’m loving the new ESC in the Banshee, as it literally transformed the ride. Your stance on the board is much more relaxed than before, allowing you to fluidly shift your weight and carve without feeling like you’re going to throw yourself off if you blip the throttle too much. I’ve tried pretty much all the other prolific shortboards, and the throttle is simply unparalleled.

3 Likes

so i ordered black 180mm trucks and black 90mm wheels,

If anyone is interested, $30 shipped (lower 48 USA) will get a front truck, bearings, and 90mm clone flywheels.

I’m trying to nail down specs for the battery pack I’m gonna use for this.

@PredatorBoards you’re using 10s2p samsung 30q in the Banshee, right? So about 40a batttery max? I know you specified 12A motor amps per motor, but at least on vesc, motor amps can (and should) be higher than battery amps.

Do you know if the ESC can handle 12s? I’m thinking this will be a great swapout for my jet spud, which currently has 4 x 3s lipo (it’s a pain to hit 10s with lipos).

Right now I’m considering:

• reuse 4 x 3s1p lipos (12s 5ah)
  • build 10s2p 30q pack (40a discharge)
  • build 12s1p a123 pack (~40a discharge, I have the cells on hand)
  • 2 x 5s1p lipo (probably HK Graphene 4ah, on sale for $50/pc. thick! 65c discharge)
  • 5 x 2s lipo (expensive and bulky for spud)

I highly doubt it can handle 12S, though admittedly I haven’t hooked up a 12S battery pack to test it. I’d second a 30Q battery pack, since you won’t really experience voltage sag until you use up a majority of the capacity.

1 Like

I want to reiterate THIS GROUP BUY ENDS SATURDAY 11:59 PM PT. That’s when all the kits will be ordered in bulk, so there is no way to acquire this kit after we make that order. All subsequent orders will be subject to higher pricing, since we would have to individually order these kits from the manufacturer

any idea of a rough timeframe to delivery once ordered?

Can I know if there is a difference between this and the ownboard version? Sounded like you asked the manufacturer to make some changes…

Can I use the original banshees hub motors with this new esc and remote? Would it cause any differences? And does this remote have different gear settings? (Slow, fast modes) or is it just a smoother acceleration? (No more massive kickback acceleration throwing you off the board)

Thanks

How much do you weigh exactly? I get that you’re going for short boards mainly.

Yep. Made changes in increasing the ERPM limit and the amount of current/torque the ESC has.

Yes you can use the Banshee motors. However you will have to manually solder the wires, since the ESC does not have easily accessible JST ports. Alternatively you can rewire your hub motors to terminate into an ebike connector. It’s plug and play from there.

I forgot to mention. Yes there are 2 speed modes.

@PredatorBoards will this upgrade kit be sent to original predator board owners under warranty or do we need to order as well?

In your specific case, you’re covered under warranty.

I am interested in joining the group buy, just wish this set up supported 12s. What battery discharge do you recommend for hub motors? I have never ran Hubs so let me know what you think. Would a battery with constant discharge of 20c be inadequate?