Goblin Glider | Earthwing SuperGlider | Caliber II | Focbox Unity | 90mm Flywheels | 10s4p battery

I like those boards with a personal flair. Looks sweet.

The trucks are 184. I have to have the wide ones for the dual setup I’m going for. I definitely wanted wider trucks for more stability but didn’t want to make them too wide. Everything that I have or plan on getting are in links in my original post. I’ll keep updating and editing it as my plans may change due to new information. And yea, I plan on riding today to get a feel for things. I didn’t really skate much as a kid, as it was a phase and I lived on dirt roads at the time. So I didn’t get much out of it, so I want to find a secluded area.

Brian from EW originally designed the superglider around TKP Indy’s, that’s why the 169s were recommended for the board, as that was the largest width Indy makes.

The superglider in this thread is actually my old deck. Even when new in 2009 the board had a slight wheel lift between the corners, but it never affected rideability. EW boards were pretty notorious for warping, but I never left it in the garage or the car, always brought it back in the house when I was done riding to prevent any additional warping. I think it had something to do with the way it got laid up, many of them had a slight warp. FWIW I also have a newer miniglider and it exhibits the same behavior. My cruiser 36, team 37, and 2017 supermodel do not have any warp / wheel lift. IMG_20180705_204733

4 Likes

I was thinking Indy 215s were the widest.

2 Likes

You’re right about that, totally forgot about the 215s.

I wasn’t sure when Indy started making them. I searched and found they were released with the stage III in 1983.

@swimmydude You picked a sick ride, let us know how you like it with those Abec 11s when you get a chance

1 Like

+1 on the Indys.

My personal grab and go: Carbon Earthwing SuperGlider, my all-time favorite kick tail.

Following this build! Thanks bud!

4 Likes

It’s def my favorite go-to board as well. I’m running some old 64mm EW floaters on it for wheels, how do you like those ‘shark’ wheels you got on it?

1 Like

it’s funny, I didn’t want to like Sharks. I was squarely in the ‘real wheels are green’ camp with ABEC forever, and kinda still am. Centrax is kind of perfect.

I tried a set of Shark’s 70MM wheels on SR TKP with one of my Icarus pump boards, and that one is a Flex 2 so it bottoms out, so I shelved that Icarus and got a Flex 1 on Kegels, instead.

Way later, someone sent me these 60MMs and I thought ‘why not’ since their Shiver bearings came with them - and first time on it, I almost ate it on a hill that I was doing every day, I picked up /so/ much speed and these Sharks get icy on leaves.

I also noticed that, on this particular EW deck with the factory Indys, upgraded bushings, etc. - deck cannot wheel bite. It’s as if the deck, trucks and wheels were designed for one another.

I think the EW SuperGlider is a landmark design. Delivers everything the Ceviche failed to bring. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, that’s pretty awesome to find you on here. That is indeed your old board. Thanks for the warping info, I remember reading about that in my initial research of deck hunting and long forgot about that issue. It’s reassuring to know that minor warp won’t affect riding.

With my 90mm flywheels and 184" trucks, do you recommend riser pads? If so, is 1/4 enough or should I go with 1/2? I did fill in the holes where you relocated the front trucks closer to the nose. Was that just a personal preference or what?

Thanks for letting me have this sweet deck for a moderate price. :smiley:

Thanks! I hope to not disappoint! Slowly working on it.

I also was able to ride a little today. The board is super sweet. Lot easier to be able to cruise around and maneuver than when learning with a popsicle board. Obviously the giant soft wheels allow for a much smoother ride. Still, as I stated previously, I’m still a novice and don’t have much experience. I still got some kinks to work out, but I really looking forward to putting motors on this bad boy.

Side note. I tried to go to an abandoned mall/industrial park near my home since it would have space and wouldn’t be in anyone’s way. Technically not suppose to trespass and there’s cement blocks blocking all the entryways. So I had to find a nearby place to park. I did and it looked like I was near some hobo camp. Oh well, I trek to the area, and the moment I dart across the road and up the small hill. There was a police car just chilling in the parking lot about 100 yards away. Lol, I was annoyed and immediately darted back down and back to my car. I found somewhere else nearby, but I have a feeling this might not be an uncommon occurrence.

1 Like

this is what skate and explore is all about :slight_smile: well done, bud

1/4 should do it since it has cutouts. It had multiple wheelbase options back then, so those were not added holes :astonished:. That was the OG grip on the deck.

I was just doing some battery research and found some favorable information on the Sony VTC Konion series of batteries. It seems they have a slightly raised positive electrode which can increase reliability of isolation from the case negative electrode. Just another option to consider vs the 30Q.

VTC5

Slight update. Most everything has arrived. The few things that aren’t here are somewhere in transit and the last bit of items was ordered during Black Friday. What is annoying is that I don’t have all of one thing. So I can’t really go ahead and start on something. Still missing some components for the remote, or missing a mount, or whatever. I also am in the middle of testing my nickel strips. I bought 5m from AliExpress and got a small sample with my boss welder. Unfortunately, it seems both are not pure but steel strips coated in nickel. I don’t know what to do. Attempting from AliExpress again will take too long. Amazon is way pricier. Ugh.

Otherwise, I been setting up a small workshop station in a corner of one of my rooms. So I’m excited to get building and tinkering. I’ll post pictures later I guess.

Sigh. My motor mount isn’t long enough to make the pulley taut. I’m not sure how to go about this. Maybe I should just file the holes to allow the motor to sit farther. Or maybe I should just buy different mounts.

Or I can not be a dumbass and just get a shorter belt. I currently have 265mm belt, so I think 255mm will be enough to not be loose. This works out because it’s cheaper and I can’t get this shit off without potentially breaking something. I’ve already slightly damaged my motor pulley. Fairly annoyed about that.

2 Likes

Hey, I will send you a steel motor pulley, 255mm belts with the mount I still havent sent :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That would be much appreciated. I’m in no apparent rush because it’ll come down to when I recieve the Unity anyway. Though I’m still itching to get it done. I assume the shipping was enough?

Yeah the shipping u sent was enough

I’m not sure how I should do updates. Keep making new post? Editing earlier ones? Make new post and just edit those? idk, anway…

I basically have all my parts minus a mount and the Unity. So I been slowly working on stuff now. I’ll be starting the battery pack in a few days. Been working on my remote this past week. I just now installed the half of the motor and mechanical stuff that I can. I must say the new hex wrenches I got are wonderful. I even got a hex bolt I would have not been able to tighten otherwise due to it being in a cramped spot at an angle because my belt is so short I can’t tighten before I put on the wheel and belt. I’m going to post some pictures.

My haul I got from Black Friday minus a set of wheels I couldn’t turn down. Motor%26PulleyHaul

First side installed! FirstMotorInstalled

Bolt I was able to tighten only because of the new wrenches I got. I’m so glad I listened to you guys on the forum. HiddenMotorScrew

I’m not too sure about this small clearance. I assume it’s okay but it still worries me. This is the only configuration I can do. The mount isn’t long enough for the original belts I got with the set which were 265mm long. My only other feasible option is to get another set of motor mounts. TinyClearance

2 Likes