German Esk8 Laws

So on a slightly positive note, Mellow won with their pitch at the night of the start up in Berlin.
That is a positive step in the right direction. At least people and investors see e boarding as something to invest in. Now just have to convince the rule makers.

I will be visiting their office in the next week when they get back from Orlando expo. 50 of the visit is to talk to them about the rules, and the other 50% is to check out their ride.

2 Likes

Cool! Let’s hear how it was after your visit. I wouldn’t mind to buy their product if it was the only legal one like the original Segway.

Pretty cool that there´s a German brand with the same concept as the Unlimited´s Eon, didn´t know them yet. :flushed: :flushed:

The more companies (especially from Europe) fight for the legalisation of esk8ing, the bigger the chance to get our boards street legal in forseeable time.

But 1.699 € is a pretty self-confident price compared to the Eon´s R-Kits (729 €) with twice the Wh, regardless if the Mellows are made in Germany or not.

Never heard of that Eon, thanks for sharing. Nice to see all options available…cheaper or not.

Definitely the more companies are based here in Europe, the better the chances for legalization. When people hear words like greener and jobs, governments eat it up.

Really excited to go and try the Mellow boards. I’m hoping they will let me take some pics or video to post online, but not holding my breath as I am sure they would like to control what comes out of their camp. They did seem extremely friendly and welcoming at the emails I sent. We see.

1 Like

Hope you are enjoying the ride, stay safe!

1 Like

Any news on your visit and the law situation? Very curious!

Hello everyone, bumping thread.

Just moved in Berlin and really want to buy eskateboard, but afraid of fines. What is the current status for electric skateboards today in Berlin? Maybe some locals can share their wisdom?

esk8 = illegal nothing has changed

I would try ackmaniac’s software (cruise control). and watch your speed when you are near a road. I live near Stuttgart and have had the bad luck of only owning one esk8 that won’t run for a mile at a time. I have the good luck that I seldom see polizei patrolling around here.

I figure if you don’t ride agressively, avoid places where you know you’ll see polizei, and watch your speed (again, I plan to use ackmaniac’s app when I get a working esk8) you may be just fine.

5 Likes

Thanks for response.

I definitely not going to ride at top speed on central bikeways or anything like it. I want skateboard just to travel around the city and daily commute. I though about in-wheel motors board - they are less recognizable as electric.

Also I’m not from Germany and a bit confused regarding rules - can you help me with newbie question if you are aware? Please, read these questions as for traditional skateboard or bike (if rules are the same):

1. Should I ride bikeways and roads if there is no bikeway?
  2. Should I wear a helmet?
  3. Can I ride in parks?
  4. Do I need special insurance? (I have common health insurance)

You can go 6km/h on the sidewalk just like with a normal skateboard. As soon as you go above you might as well drive an unlicensed car without insurance (fun fact: even if you wanted to you can not get insurance for your skateboard).

I hate to be the buzzkill but you need to be aware that IF they want to they can get you in trouble. How likely this actually is if you are riding carefully and not overly flashy depends on the location. Berlin might be easier than Munich for example.

But still: You need to be aware that in Germany you can get into serious trouble (confiscation of the vehicle plus a 1500€ fine AFAIK)

Can you read German? There is a lengthy discussion about this on the german esk8 forum with some hints as to what to say to police in case you get caught.

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds not that promising. I don’t speak German, but google translate can help me to dig into, can you point me to the thread?

The german esk8 forum works pretty well with google translate :wink:. From what I gather on that forum, 6km/h on the sidewalk, and 24 or 25km/h (I can’t remember) on the bike path is what you should aim for, because that is the limit for electric bicycles. While an esk8 isn’t an e-bike, it could be argued that if you travel above those speeds then you need insurance/seatbelt/license plate/insurance. If you have the VESC set to only operate within those speed limits, then you should be fine. It’s not like polizei are going to be able to get into BLDC tool and see that you can indeed go faster. Even if they see you looking at your phone, what are they going to do, confiscate your phone or make you prove you don’t have bldc tool on there? I think if you have any street smarts at all, and aren’t going way over the speed limit, you should be fine.

Polizei also aren’t going to be able to tell what watt hours your battery is, they aren’t going to be able to tell what size the motor(s) are or their output (what size your battery is) from looking at it. As long as the polizei don’t see you drafting 50km/h up the street or acting like an ass and you are respectful, you will probably be alright, at least where I am in Stuttgart. I know e-bikes absolutely don’t abide by the rules (on the bikepath at least), so I am not worried about being pulled over there (it runs through the woods).

Then again, I don’t really want to get around the law so much as abide by it with whatever esk8 I end up with. If you want to disregard this speed limit on a bunch of city streets, then you will most likely get caught at some point and hemmed up by the polizei.

Problem is that when in doubt they are allowed to confiscate and have the vehicle checked by professionals. They will find out about the watt hours and bldc settings and you will have to pay for this investigation (besides any fine it will impose) if they find anything - which they will. Good thing is probably that the number of riders is relatively low so the “idiot-threshold” has not been reached that will make them look out for us.

I have driven past the police before and have not been stopped - I immediately switch to pushing and hiding the remote when I notice them (hub motors help ;)) so it can all go well. The problem only starts when you have an accident or get caught. Accidents can get you in serious trouble as you might be liable for the damages and no incurance will cover them - especially when someone gets hurt this could be life changing for you.

Take away has to be: Be careful and don’t get caught.

@Oikio thread is here:

1 Like

If I ride an electric skateboard that works within the confines of german law, it should not give the Police probably cause to investigate whether or not my board can go faster, as it probably can. Probably cause is all they need to confiscate the board. That is the same thing that keeps them from conducting a warrantless search on my person or my car or other personal property. This is at least what probably cause is in America, but I’m sure it’s very similar in Germany.

I just want to ride a skateboard uphill at a moderate pace and have some type of brakes (other than the foot kind and/or hand pucks) riding downhill

esk8s are by definition illegal in Germany. You are not allowed to have anything that can accelerate you past 6km/h. So basically as soon as you are seen going faster than 6km/h probable cause is given.

I would not ride in the road here. I would stick to sidewalks and bike lanes. Always wear a helmet. Anywhere you get caught going above 6kmh by the popo you could be in trouble. There is no esk8 insurance, although if you have a segway, there is insurance for that.

Lol you showed me @Maxid lol excellent follow through! :metal:t2:

@Maxid we should make a thread abt evading getting caught lol

1 Like