German Esk8 Laws

Should be fine. Thanks for asking. @Maxid

Why does he ask you?

He was a moderator posting just above my post - so the most recent moderator I could think of and was already involved in the topic. Is that a problem?

I dont know ^^

Hey…New to esk8 and longboarding in general. Just ordered a evolve carbon gt 2 in 1. Been reading through the thread…

I’m a Canadian living in Hamburg and was hoping to use it to commute around the city, but reading here is making me think otherwise. I bumped into a guy the other day in the city with the same board, but didn’t have enough time to ask him about the legality of it.
Perhaps this is my optimistic side thinking, but is there not some way to get this thing a TUV or at least get the ball rolling in the direction of making it a debatable issue? I love Germany…but mega pissed about the contradiction of rules here…I know my fair share just getting a visa each year.

The worst word in any language is “can’t”. We can find a way.

I know we’re a small community (esk8ers), but there must be a way to start the topic of clean energy mobility. Governments love showing off “green solutions”. Denmark and Finland already have something like this (if I understood correctly).

A bike can ride the road without insurance…even if we have to limit our speed ( only when their watching of course :wink:

Even if you get an insurance, you’re not allowed to ride because you need an operating licence for your “vehicle” because it’s motor-driven, that’s the problem.

Ask your Distributor, ask other big brands that sells boards in germany like Yunnec, Mellow etc. if they can help. It will take money and decades of years but laws will change and in the future our kids hopefully can ride eboards without fear of the police.

Government is focusing on cars, electric-cars and stuff, they give a shit about skaters.

I’m riding in Hamburg for 2 years now, no problems so far. Just stay under the radar and ride defensively, that helps! And always use the sidewalks, never the streets or bike lanes.

Is there a esk8 association in Germany? I’m German living over here in France at the moment and it’s quite interesting to see how associations are used here to create a voice, if you like to say so. It’s good if there are lots of esk8ers around but as long as they are not organized there is no real weight to their voice.

I’m not convinced that esk8ers should actually participate in road traffic, especially in cities and densely populated areas. I would wish that our infrastructure would make it possible for small electrical vehicles to commute through town already, but think there we still have a looong way to go.

Just my 2 :wink: anyway, happy riding, stay safe and don’t get caught!

Lets face it: we are a car-crazy society and our cities are dominated by cars and every law they make is pretty much to ensure that these big and bulky machines rule on forever and are not challenged. E-boards by themselves aren’t a big savety issue, it’s the cars and the people behind the wheel that kill. But dare to use precious public streets with your 20lbs monster, you are not welcome in between tons of steel only waiting to run you over. B/c you know it’s their streets, made for them, owned by them.

It’s a shame really. On the other hand I find it suicidial to ride your board in the thickest traffic in between lanes of moving cars. I will definitely stay on the bike roads as much as I can and not ride reckless. I live next to a leisure area and that’s where I’m going to get my fun, not in the city.

1 Like

I understand where you guys are coming from.
But as someone else mentioned, we need to get organized.
I’m a stubborn SOB and don’t want to take this sitting down. Obviously changing a law isn’t something that’s done over night (not without money at least). I also don’t want to ride constantly looking over my shoulder…although I will :wink:. Just don’t get caught isn’t an answer.

I will gladly make this my mission when I get back from my holidays in two weeks. Since my German is scheisse, perhaps someone could give me a hand when the time comes with translation. The mood in this forum is a little pessimistic (got understandable reason) regarding the rules changing anytime soon. I don’t want my kids to have fun…I WANT TO HAVE FUN! :sunglasses:

I will start contacting several of the dealers and distributors when I get back to see their interest in supporting this matter. Mellow seemed to be quite positive about working with others from what I read here. Evolve and others should be interested too as it would open the market for them giving them tenfold the market that us early adopters bring them.

Best case scenario…we get things changed and are able to ride, even if it means some sort of insurance. Worst case scenario, they ban it and deport me back to Canada. I’m willing to take the chance

2 Likes

first, the EU have to define regulation, then the nationals have to change the laws, may take some years

http://www.din.de/de/mitwirken/normenausschuesse/nasport/projekte/wdc-proj:din21:191486964 http://www.emobilitypartners.com/nieuws/brussels-to-develop-general-norm-for-plevs-_09-02-2016_1401-44/

1 Like

today I rode past a parked police car with 2 policemen inside - basically I couldnt see them for quite a while cause I rode directly into the sun and they parked in opposite direction, directly facing me … so they had a LOT of time watching me.

lucky that i was in a really chilled mood, was carving really wide, but probably not faster than 20kph. I managed to nod at them friendly while coasting and passed without any trouble. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Riding in Berlin for a few weeks now but it bothers me too that i always have to watch out. Id be driving even more safe and defensive if I could concentrate 100% on riding

1 Like

I’m moving to Berlin soon, hoping I won’t get into trouble…

Thats awesome, lets ride together. PM and ill give you my number if you want to do some rideouts. It really depends which area in Berin you live in, whether police cares or not

Sounds like a plan. I have no specifics as of yet but I’m hoping to be there somewhere around the end of september.

1 Like

When I’m back in Hamburg, we should meet up for a ride, and a beer… In that order :wink:

Well, that order fits always, and the beer here isn’t too bad either!

Just tell me when you’re here - I am riding in the winter too. Need to test the Trampa in the snow with spikes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been riding for 2 years in Brussels and almost never had an issue (yuneec e-go then homebuilt 45+kmh). Drove past cops at 30kmh without issue but I try to limit myself to 25kmh max when I see them. In Belgium the law kind of says that you’re allowed to use a electrical moving device vehicule type without plate or insurance as long as it doesn’t go above 25kmh AND it doesn’t have a throttle… Like a solowheel, an ‘hoverboard’, a segway, an assisted electric bike. If it goes only 6kmh but has a remote, throttle or something you need to be insured. I still have to look for the price of the insurance.

I have a helmet and drive safely, slowing down at intersection etc and I believe cops see me as a safe road user so don’t bother. It might happen someday tho.

The only time I have been stopped is literally the stupidest one. With a normal skateboard you’re allowed on the sidewalk below max walking speed (like 5-6kmh), and then you have to be on the road like a bike if you go faster. The policeman didn’t know that (he didn’t realise as well that my skate was electric), I was literally with friends that were walking and going at the same speed as well and he still ordered me “no skate on sidewalk!”. I obeyed for a hundred meters and that was it. Other than that I think people are a bit nicer here, they have other things to do than bother us. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for that, I was wondering how the cops looked at it here in Belgium. Me personally have never had a cop pass by but that is because I live in a rural area :stuck_out_tongue: The closest city is 10km…