German Esk8 Laws

Yeh sounds bad… skateboards also might not be in favor due to lack of mechanical brakes… e-scooters usually have disk brakes

Oh really?!? This would be pathetic… 20km/h is not that fast to really require a physical break and if so, we would find a way to engineer one. But requiring some kind of ‘direct’ steering like with escooters but excluding a steering based on balancing it just a bummer. I would love to drive around in the city without the need to fear the police… :cry:

I have been contemplating this some time ago. Hear me out. Perhaps someone could help to take this idea further… Considering there are clear guidelines for what makes a vehicle relevant for permit… (what defines it as a scooter or ebike) If so, then what is the MINIMUM required to call something a steering wheel? What is the minimum for something to act as a breaking system? etc… If it’s all what it takes to make a board legal, then can I install some dummy breaks that don’t do anything really, (or work a little) or can I just add some tiny handlebars to the front of the board so legally all checkboxes are ticked?

1 Like

New here! Doesn’t seem I can direct message you so please contact me as I’d like to join.

sounds like its 50% no breakes and 50% no steering wheel. the brakes part i totaly understand, the steering wheel part not so much … .

if it would just have been the breakes, then adding those would be a small price to pay. probably safer anyway. i had remote cutouts in the worst possible situations …

1 Like

Link has been already deleted

Looks like it was just moved https://www.mellowboards.com/en/blog/the-e-mobility-laws-need-to-be-changed-before-it’s-too-late/

2 Likes

well like i said… german law sucks and so do our politicans. have fun waiting like me for 4 years to get something.

just remember: ride as much you want - just dont get caught.

i was riding today, on a man made hill from the old days of coal mining (Halde) and kid you not there was a officer on a motorcycle…he looked funny but didnt say anything…my lucky day

1 Like

What would be the worst case scenario when being “caught”. I think there should be nothing wrong using our boards and sticking to all the rules that count for people riding bikes. But thats unfortunately still a distant dream. If I ride where bikes are allowed and stick to their rules, what would happen when the police decides they want to stop me?

@HansWurst90 fahren ohne fahrerlaubnis, wäre einer der dinge.

1 Like

soblad du über 6km/h mit motor angetrieben fährst musst dein board den anforderungen im straßenverkehr entsprechen. sprich, versicherung, zulassung etc.

That said, does anybody actually know how to setup a switch that limits the board to 6? Does it require a specific remote? Can it be done via the vesc-tool?

So from all the cases I’ve heard there have always been 3 options. They A. let you off with a warning B. give you a 120eur fine and that’s it C. confiscate you board, you get a 1k-1.5k fine from the judge, which is dropped after a hearing. Also you get your board back after some time

in the eSkate VESC app you can set a max erpm limit. so you just need to calculat according to your gearing whats the erpm for 6km/h. than save it as setting and upload it to the vescs if necessary via Bluetooth.

I don´t use Metr or Acks app, guess with them it should work too

Sorry, what I meant was switch on the fly during a ride (similar to how some ESCs offer a beginner’s mode).

i´m sure you can somehow get it done with an arduino. in case you want just to switch form one mode to the other by remote. But I have no clue how :sweat_smile:

It´s not on the fly, but to stop and push the upload button in the app is not so a big deal i think.

just remind the thumb remote with all the drop outs. there you can change between slow and fast. wonder how they realize it there, maybe there is a way to modify it that the slow mode is only 6km/h :thinking:

I’d imagine it just alters the ppm Signal (max is cut in half).

Looks like I will be looking at a programmable remote for rc cars.

1 Like