German Esk8 Laws

@Mathias Thank you. I was accused of deliberate use of unregistered and uninsured vehicle

@myreala Wow, this is very interesting. Thanks for passing this over!

Damn dude. So so sad. Gets me really worried too but I just dont wanna let these guys win, so I will continue to ride the streets of Berlin until something happens (hopefully not).

Also: I am using my Acton Blink S2 as a commuter and I can just quickly change it to Beginners mode via the iOS app if they stop me and then it wont exceed walking speed. Maybe that’d help but of course you cant fool them if they look up the board online.

1 Like

perhaps they’ll make buying 18650s and motors illegal soon who knows. then we’ll have to live our lives as proper outlaws.

maybe start some sort of a gofundme? I know a few people here would be willing to donate a couple bucks

3 Likes

I’d give you my extra change for taking the bullet!

3 Likes

Let us hope they will begin to look in the direction of your neighbor in the north. We have just voted for a law that makes e-skating (together with a hole group of electric vehicles) legal (temporarily with evaluation every year) from 1.118 on public roads. this is a huge step in a very regulated country like Denmark. I have been reading all the material that led to this legalization. They have been working quit thoroughly getting inspiration from all our neighbors including Germany. I hope the changes in Denmark will inspirer the rest of EU. Now we really have to handel this legalization with respect, and not fuck it up. We have to behave on the roads :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good idea, guys! I think I might do that!

2 Likes

Hi guys, I wanted to give you an update on my situation. (I was caught riding Evolve Bamboo GT on the streets of Berlin in November. Police returned the board in December and applied 1200 euro penalty. I was given an opportunity to explain myself in the court). Earlier this week I went to court. I ended up not involving the lawyer as the cost would be equal to the penalty. (I am extremely thankful for offering me the donations by the way)

I prepared a presentation about electric longboards. I explained that I was acting in good faith and I did not mean to break the law. When I got to the point of presenting some documents, The judge interrupted me and offered to cancel the penalty! I was also taught that documents I brought were not strong enough. I think only the lawyer would be able to use them correctly in my defense. I promised that I will not use the board since it is not legal.

I am considering keeping it in my storage hoping esk8 will be legalised in Germany in 2018. Otherwise I would like to sell it for 1200 euro (in case anyone is interested).

Thank you for all the support and help in building the case. Be careful out there!

16 Likes

Awesome!!!

1 Like

Here we go!

3 Likes

This has nothing to do with German laws right?

I think it is relative to the topic. People trying to get German laws changed in favor of Esk8’s

2 Likes

as a german resident - they will ned about 3 or 4 more years to even make a law for this.

as a tip, the internal police letters tell that they even look for hoverboards. the police in my city (around 40k inhabitants) just postet that on facebook.

so drive in germany as much you want - dont get caught. thats the best advice i can give you.

when they see you, and you think they might chase you. just fucking move the fast you can before they get you. pretend to not see them or else and drive in small ways or so.

because if you got their interest, the chances are pretty low they let you go without anything. this is my experience.

1 Like

:laughing: Frankfort != Frankfurt

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with Germany - it’s about US laws. If this was another EU country fine but what happens in the US has no impact on German legislation.

1 Like

Oh, I was mislead by the name Frankfort. LoL.

Awesome. Lucky to live in a rural area.

me too at first

yeah, this city where i live has a really dense inner city and really big outer rural areas.

also, i know every little way. if i am going to drive somewhere, i always know the next escape possibility.

Oh shit. Same here. OOPS

1 Like