German Esk8 Laws

Münster, round about 150€ but i do not remember exactly…

oh, that’s a relief… I was reading about x10 higher amounts Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I will post the outcome of my sad adventure.

@Woytec That sucks man. I’m also based in Berlin and now I’m scared to take my board outside… It’s really annoying to have to take public transit to a place like Tempelhof to go drive around if I could just ride there on my board :confused:

Hope you get your board back and not too big of a fine :frowning:

@Jamy When talking to police I told them I usually drive in the forest and they told me that even that is not legal :slight_smile: They told me I can only drive it on my own property. Having said so according to what they said you might be in slight danger in Templehof also ;/ When I was buying my board I saw very little about police getting in involved. As I look now it seems police is more aware of esk8. Meaning they know what they are looking at.

1 Like

@Woytec Well last month Berlin police got an information sheet about hoverboards and esk8’s

So they’re more aware of the legalities. Regarding Tempelhof, I’ve yet to see a cop there :stuck_out_tongue: I’m from Belgium where I had no issues with my esk8. Why is Germany so stupid in this regard… :confused:

2 Likes

Because cars are the biggest industry here and only if VW can make as much money from skateboards as it can do now with cars the politics would change. In the german forum we just sent a letter to three members of parliament to help legalize esk8ing. Any other Germans should chime in there to be heard as well: http://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forum/szene-talk-63/rechtliche-auseinandersetzung-1396-54.php#post42625

1 Like

I’ve been following that, good stuff. Sadly I don’t speak German too well so I’m resorting to using Google Translate.

This is craaazyy. I live in Berlin as well and am getting pretty scared that they would confiscate my board as well if they saw me. I could even get points in my car licence’s registry.

I’ve read the article that @Jamy posted and i’ve gotta say it’s not good news. It says it’s completely illegal and also that it can not be registered, even if you attempted to do so.

I am usually proud to be german, but the car companies are massive cheaters that are failing to realise how crucial it is to commit to electric vehicles. Instead we are continuing to produce gasoline cars and we fail to legalise smaller electric transportation vehicles, that are so desperately needed to solve our world energy mobility crisis.

Just had to get that out to you guys.

3 Likes

Fresh out of the german forum:

Berlin Police confiscated an Evolve board on Sunday.

Wow and they are even saying that its possible he won’t get it back at all?? WHAT the hell are they going to do with it?! This is ridiculous. At least make it possible to get an insurance then, I am sure people would be willing to, but nooo you just can’t!

1 Like

I was gonna go to Skate by night with my eboard, but now I’m scared to do that too :confused:

I am gonna take my chances and just use it to commute as well, but i think ill stay on the side walk, try to be stealthy and pretend like i am pushing if i see police

@florensvb I live in Mitte and on my commute to work it’s impossible to avoid cops (Work at Alexanderplatz). I hope they make some regulation soon because this is horse crap…

i am gonna be going from Schöneberg to Tiergarten/Charlottenburg every day :smiley: lets see how that goes

Also 6 km/h is max on the sidewalk so good luck :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

so youre just not going to use yours anymore??

Not as a commuter board, I can still go to Tempelhof. I’m moving to the USA next year so I’ll survive :frowning:

[quote]Beispielsweise bedarf es für Hoverboards wegen deren Mehrspurigkeit einer Fahrerlaubnis der Klasse B (§ 6 Abs. 1 FeV).[/quote] holy shit this is beyond redicoulus :sweat_smile: they seriously require you to have a CAR drivers license because a hoverboard has 2 paralel tires? :laughing:

im not sure if it can become more german than this XD

2 Likes

on a sidenote, im just checking some facts about the “Mobilitätshilfenverordnung - MobHV” and looks like we only need 1 change to somewhat legalize our boards.

this is pretty much the only thing which needs to be removed and we would at least have a chance to get a “einzelabnahme” (no idea whats that in english) at the tüv in order to get insurance and a licenbs plate (would probably look funny on a skatebaord XD)

everything else lights, reflectores, braking requirements, a bell, top speed limit … can be done.

@Achmed20 Yeah but then it’d still be considered a car, and you’d need a drivers license + you can’t drive on the sidewalk or bike lanes. We’d want to be classified as a bike :stuck_out_tongue: