Genuine question: Why do people buy the following products?

You know, I think if it is possible we should make a few loaner boards to exchange For a time with you guys, this way we get a fresh pair of eyes testing and giving feedback. It will benefit immensely the advancement of the sport.

8 Likes

This is a beautiful moment. I love it.

5 Likes

Kelly just pissed his pants

6 Likes

What? Why… did i miss something?

1 Like

a great video of this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53a2Vm5Y9-A

1 Like

While I love your most recent video, I’m gonna have to disagree regarding wheel size. You’re correct that castor would normally be unaffected by wheel size, however this is not a normal application. Since our trucks pivot at an angle the castor pivot is also affected, thus a vertical offset to wheel contact affects a horizontal offset regarding castor.

It’s quite possible that I’m misappropriating the name castor for an entirely different dynamic, but whatever it is I’m talking about I still stand by.

Also, the comparison of a board with no bushings was great. I’d seen a video before of that action and it was quite interesting.

And if you change wheel size, the larger you go the higher the frequency of the oscillations will occur for the same given truck design.

Thanks for the proper description of it, that’s much more like what I meant.

1 Like

So many valid points in this post. You obviously care more about the ride than what it looks like. Channel Trucks-Never been a good design, Cambered, flat, concave-less decks made of CF don’t even come close to wood decks in performance. Gummy who?

BIG UPS from me.

9 Likes

so i have watched your video twice and i had not considered the “push” of the rear truck from behind, which could cause wobble on a conventional skate truck. My current thinking is that regular skate trucks may “walk” on the “trialling” truck due to the play in the rubber bushing. This means that the axle is not fully constrained in all directions and has some amount of lateral play that allows it to shift slightly from its centre alignment.

The point im getting to is that this not sure that this is still true for a channel truck. In theory the rigid kingpin(is the the right term) and 2 points of contact means that the axle is fully constrained to only rotate about 1 axis, its not free to wiggle laterally in the same way that a normal skate truck is able to. In this rigid configuration i cant see how its possible for either truck to “walk” as its not physically possible for the axle to deviate from its center-line.

In terms of a new Channel truck, this is somewhat correct. It’ll only be new and un- ovalized until it’s first proper ride. Or until it hits something it doesn’t like. It’s just a bad design. They’ve been ovalizing kingpin holes for 20+ years. With traditional trucks TKP or RKP this isn’t an issue.

5 Likes

@Deckoz i’m trying to understand this rear vs front, trailing front and leading rear.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that a trailing rear RKP with trailing front RKP would make for the most stable setup?

If this is correct, i’ve made a quick mockup of what this rear trailing RKP might look like… with negative rake to boot:

PNG PNG two

Is this sort-of the right train of thought?

Credit to Miles on GrabCad for the original caliber models

Question now: Is this almost just like a TKP with squared off turning geometry?

5 Likes

So if this is the most stable way to design a truck for our purposes, why has no one done it? Not trying to but in, but genuinely curious

4 Likes

Because this is essentially a tkp with weird angles.

Just chucking this out there. Has anybody used tkp on a wedged dewedged deck like an evo?

I know someone with a surfrodz evo sixshooterm build, apprently nice and stable

I’m a little confused here. If this is the rear truck, wouldn’t you want a “normal” rkp truck so that the castor effect is kept in check by the forward pull of the driven wheels?

Or maybe all these dynamics are getting jumbled up in my head.

I’d like to clarify the term “truck walk” as when defining actual “yaw movement outside of the normal function of the truck when a force is applied”. Aka “Slop”. What you get on a single or dual diagonal without a precision truck. Not to be confused with torque steer. Someone kept bringing up “truck walk” who couldn’t see the picture.

1 Like

Just to clarify “rake” terminology and correct me if I’m wrong. Rake is the position of the axel centerline to the hanger rotation centerline. Positive with axel on the street side of hanger rotation center. Negative on the board side.

2 Likes

Right. I’ve had this exact problem before, that makes total sense.

1 Like

I’m quite curious about how traditional Kingpin trucks behave on different split angles. I’ve played around with it a lot on reverse Kingpin trucks but never tkp. I have surfrodz adjustable baseplate on the way, so i guess I’ll find out.

2 Likes