Genuine question: Why do people buy the following products?

Every pro racer I know rides an inherently unstable setup. You want that in a racing setup. The key is to have the rear track the front but you still want positive rake.

Last thing you want is zero rake in a racing board.

This book is a great read. It helps put the puzzle together and helped me in my racing career sifting through mass amounts of misinformation. IMG_20190211_070518

1 Like

When we’re talking downhill Vs powered board setups. With the drive and grip Dynamics The setup game is quickly changing. If you don’t believe me “Bring it to the Hill” or stay in the land of the lost

2 Likes

Any truck with positive or close to zero castor in front is going to toss you the fuck off at speed. A truck with negative castor in the rear, will also oscillate

one last thing just to be clear. for anyone that reads this later. I am not saying you cannot setup a deck and trucks to be somewhat stable.

At least you are starting to change your tune.

@kaly is not doing anything crazy to his setups and he is not getting “tossed the fuck off at speed”.

“Hey Marshall, you ever get tired of being wrong?”

Like this?

20190211_085800

Hey @Kaly. Was super cool to meet you in Vegas. Would love to see you guys collaborate a dedicated effort for hill racing this season. I know logistics plays but maby find a good West coast rider and make em great. Next race is https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/uphill-race-2-bakersfield-outlaw-12/81576?u=moestooge Would be cool to see your crew racing againsed Enertion, Ollin and Hoyt house riders.

3 Likes

Thanks for drawing that out, it explains a lot! You just don’t understand how channel trucks work. Here I was thinking “is this dude for real!”

I can’t understand the definition of caster angle as far as skate trucks go. However since the axle on most channel trucks is assymetric, wouldn’t fliping the hanger reduce the leading effect ? Along with changing the roll center and rake.

20190211_180640

Hi @MoeStooge That will be nice, racing uphill, sure I will have to work the logistics.

On the topic of trucks here we are comparing different system, each one has its pro and cons also overlapping functionality where both shine.

When it comes to stability this is a relative term because it greatly depends on the terrain, a F1 car shines on tarmac and a baja truck shines on the trail.

I’ve started using the truck channel because the terrain where I ride is a mix one, good pavement, shitty pavement, big cracks, potholes, park trails and dirt trails so had to go with the best equipment for my application, if the conditions were different then RKP will be. Don’t get me wrong on my push board i have 200 mm RKP Surfrods and love it.

@Deckoz The effect you are discussing does not translate equally to channel trucks since the constraints conditions are different, on a regular truck the pivot and suspension are all on the same point where on the channel truck the suspension and pivot are at different positions, so the mechanical effect is a bit different.

5 Likes

Damn.

I am just glad there are guys like you gents here to get into the weeds on this hardware. I would love to but most of that stuff was well over my head.

The passion helps drive stuff forward.

Keep building, and I will keep trying them all! Thanks guys!

10 Likes

Your stipulation is based on the assumption that the weight distribution is equally on both the front and rear truck, that isn’t always true, the front truck does have more weight on it and the front foot does initiate the turn. I just saying power on the rear truck is a viable option, the bushing is tighter and is less likely to torque steer, because it is less responsive.

So your saying change truck geometry on both trucks or just the rear truck so it isn’t leading?

eskate%20jesus

Truck walk is what you are describing. Apply your logic to a ronin truck with a queen pin and see what that gives you.

A channel truck is essentially a zero degree ronin or liquid truck

In the end this are all definitions and great graph but relevant only perfect conditions.

I do my speed test runs around 1AM from 23rd street and 1st ave all the way to the Willis ave. Bridge in New York, that is around 6 miles on a real road, that includes pavement waves, cracks, expansion joints, pot holes and who know what else. I keep a speed from 35 to 40 mph around 90% of the time.

If you try this run for sure the stability advantages you claim will not help at all.

1 Like

Nice :ok_hand: keep it wierd :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m gonna have to read this thread a few times for all of this to sink in. I’ve been doing downhill for years but only have basic understanding of adjustments. I wanna ask so many questions right now lol

3 Likes

That is my whole point. The rider is the front and center on this. Equipment is 10% percent of the equation.

1 Like

That’s true.

I think we should try to make a thread analyzing each design and explain the best we can the pros and cons of each, this way will be more useful to everyone one.

7 Likes

Yaaas please. Lol

I wanna know more about tkp and how adjusting it’s angles affects ride performance.

2 Likes