Genuine question: Why do people buy the following products?

I’m getting these!

1 Like

Off course you are! :wink::yum:

First I thought you had put your hands in your shoes. Not anymore :joy:

2 Likes

To reveal the trick, the camera was between 2 tables which gave me suppprt :laughing:

2 Likes

too good that vid :laughing: just so you know though…trampa have a no ballet clause so thats your warranty out the window.

1 Like

Trampa stuff is niiiice. Too bad it dumps you on your face at 25+. I think they should work on that…

2 Likes

Hairy as all shit at speed.

1 Like

Curious what makes you say this?

Same as above.

This is genuine curiosity, I have no blind loyalty to Trampa- I just ride them on my carvers because I don’t have that many options and I dislike how MBS Matrix feel. I can say that I’ve never even seen the notion of a speed wobble even at around 40-42mph, and that’s been as fast as my configurations/confidence have taken me so far. Is this based on experience from people who know how to tune/dampen in a channel spring truck?

I’d love to hear more information on this as it would be useful to know regardless of my personal experiences so far.

1 Like

Ok granted I have had very limited experience with street carvers. Spent a week on my bros kaly/trampa last year and compared to my set up at the time I found it unstable. Same with a guy on a group ride who wanted to try my evo. Loved the carve but did not feel comfortable at speed. This is obviously something you could get used to I’m sure but after those experiences and then when the info starts to filter down through the forum of similar tales it can fix your mindset which I know is not very scientific. Average joe in the street who is used to traditional set ups will struggle on a channel truck to start with. I think thats where it comes from. One thing though is true and no one can really argue, they are not great speed set ups. They are not designed for it.

1 Like

Yep. This. Ive been on boards my whole life. Riding @DerelictRobot board was a new experience. Took me a bit to get the hang of it. Definitely different. But i didn’t feel unstable at full speed, just didn’t feel agile

2 Likes

And given our riding weight difference I would totally expect this. They also are just a completely different style of board in how they ride, I ride longboards & mountainboards/carvers.

Why can’t it be argued?

My curiosity here is to see if anyone has hard experience/logic behind why it would be considered unstable over RKPs at higher speeds. Evidence, not subjective opinion.

I also have seen a lot of ‘Youtube carvers’ running without dampeners at all.

2 Likes

Also… it was cold as balls and I was riding on a very narrow path so I couldn’t really throw my weight into the Turning as much as I wanted to.

1 Like

Spent some time hanging out with a fella who was speed testing with trampa channel trucks. Despite efforts to dewedge, spring, and dampa his AWD it always ended in instability. Could you please post a video of you on Radar doing 42 mph with your powered trampa and share your setup.

4 Likes

I don’t have a radar, but this really isn’t even unheard of downhill. I’m in the process of rebuilding my carver as we speak, but I’d be happy to share my ride logs. 34-38mph is commonplace among the riders I talk to.

Again, I’m not saying they are built for speed. Just that the claim that they faceplant you at 25+ is outright incorrect based on my daily riding experience.

I’m looking for more than 2nd or 3rd hand accounts out of legitimate curiosity to learn more.

3 Likes

Just to elaborate my distain for channel trucks a bit more. Please don’t take it personally, they are great for anything but going fast. Derek was the guy speed testing channels. I’d like to leave it there for where I derive my bias from. I’m sure someone is doing it but have yet to see a set of channels running DH.

Feel free to elaborate.

I promise I don’t take anything personally on here, I’m just in pursuit of information on this since what’s being stated contradicts my personal experience.

I’m curious if the reports of instability come from inexperience on channel trucks, and if not I’d love to hear someone chime in with factual data to support it.

Discourse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a guy who could do it all. Meticulous and Methodical in his approach, driven. I still would put his builds in the world top 5. He spent countless hours and had endless problems trying to make channels work. I think he would have written them off earlier if it wasn’t for the fantastic drive system. I wish he would have. Read into it what you want, but Derek is no longer with us.

2 Likes

Given that I don’t know the situation or the person at all, what am I to read into this? If this was your friend, my condolences for your loss.

I’m not trying to be dense here, I’m just searching for data rather than anecdotal testimony. Is the implication being made that channel trucks are so unstable at high speeds that they are deadly to even attempt?

I’m also not talking about attempting 50+mph on these. I’m not a racer, I build my boards for entirely different reasons and I don’t really need an everyday configuration that goes faster than 35mph.

This inquiry all started from the claim that channel trucks can’t do 25+ safely, which simply is not true. I’m not trying to say they are built for high speeds (45mph+)

2 Likes

To be clear I’m not talking about numies and full mountainboard specs. I’m talking urethane on the trampa deck and trucks and my opinion is based on actual riding experience. My actual riding experience. Thats all. Given time I’m sure that I could have coaxed the thing up there but I personally wasn’t up to the task in the time I had but give me a full rkp downhill set up and in 10 minutes I will have it hitting 40+ if its capable. Its a completely moot point though because I’d rather chew off one of my arms than ride one again with urethane. Not my cup of tea so to speak.

3 Likes

If your looking for technical “data” on truck dynamic stability there just isn’t much to be had. An engineered piece still has to be tested to be proven. A stable truck at 45mph will be more predictible at 25 but will not be as carvy as one would like at 15mph. It’s all about dialing in for what your trying to accomplish. Anecdotal testimony here with truck setup is about all you have to sort through. Sorry about your truck choice. Current Channel trucks are no bueno for speed.