General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

Am not really a truck’s person but what would u say is the difference between the suf rodzs and the one you posted is it just the design I ordered my XL drives and haven’t decided on what front trucks to buy money is not a issue so if it’s work better I’ll buy it just don’t see the difference

The muirskate trucks guide explained trucks to me pretty well if you wanna learn.

Short cut, get precision trucks. Which company is a style choice after you start spending more than 100 dollars on 1 truck.

You might also consider Forged trucks too like the paras savants. https://www.paristruckco.com/ They are hammered out of a block of aluminum then precision cuts where necessary. I use these on my downhill board.

Still looking for 2 sets of Cavon XL. Anyone preordered that has gone a different route. Please PM me :slight_smile:

https://carvonskates.com/collections/parts/products/carvon-v4-speeddrive-xl

that’s the preorder that won’t happen till like Feb though right? Or are they actually in stock and ready to ship?

pre-orders, no V4 or XLs are readily available as of yet. Parts are still being manufactured I believe

that’s what I thought. I want to get some immediately instead of being behind in the big backlog since this preorder went up.

All xls are on backorder

V3 Speed Drive Design Flaws

Alright guys I need everyone’s opinion on a recent issue that’s been presented with the Evo/V3.

The other day my friend @STREETSURFER and I were doing some spirited riding. I own a Carvon Evo with V3 speed drives and SS (@STREETSURFER) owns v3s on his DIY build. SS and I decided to switch boards on this ride so that I could try out his new setup with venom double barrel bushings and riptide pivot cups. We were riding on a straight away at our local bike trail when SS, going full throttle for approximately a 1/2 mile at 37mph+, suddenly one motor locked up. Luckily, SS was in a full tuck at the time of the malfunction and while the board was sent into wobbles, he was able to maintain the board to a complete stop and was uninjured.

After I had realized SS was no where to be found I went back to find him. Once we flipped the board over we noticed one motor had significantly more resistance than the other. We originally thought it could be a VESC/bearing issue, because of the fact that we were riding at a high rate of speed for an extended distance. However after further inspection we found neither to be the cause of the issue.

After some self diagnostics , we believe the malfunction was caused by the motor shorting. Specifically we think that the solder joint from the windings to phase wire melted. We came to that conclusion by taking the motor sleeve/can off and also found that the magnets and windings seemed undamaged. We went to take off the sleeve off of my other working motor and realized that we couldn’t because the design flaws mentioned in kickstarter update #31:

https://www.kickstarter./projects/carvonllc/carvon-next-generation-electric-skateboards-longbo/posts/2020674

(Link was acting up, add .com in the URL to access the link)

So SS gave me his motor sleeve and it did the same thing. From there we started touching the phase wires together and comparing the resistance of each combination. We found two phase wires did not affect the resistance much when touching, which indicates the source of the issue.

I talked with Jerry and he said he would fix the Issues under warranty. I asked him if he would swap out the motor sleeve and motor fan for the updated parts so that I don’t have issues taking apart my motors in the future, but he declined. Jerry told me that I would have to pay $100 per motor for the updated parts even though he admitted that the parts he wants to put back under warranty are the cause for a major design flaw.

He said that since we have the V3 speed drives, we will have to pay to get the updated parts on the V4 speed drives. The last time I checked the only difference between the v3 and v4 speed drives was that the v3s support authentic abecs while the v4s support clones. It seems that as soon as Jerry realized the design flaws he got rid of the v3s and applied the new parts to the v4s, so that he can now say v3 owners are shit out of luck. It seems like Carvon expects customers to pay a premium price in order to do their R&D for them.

I hate to make the comparison, but when boosted released a product that had an issue ( the extended battery) they recalled them all, and fixed the issue. This divide of design between the V3 and V4 is the equivalent of boosted telling their customers that because they bought it already they need to buy the V2 extended battery to solve their issue.

The original date I received my board was September 26th, 2017 and that update which addressed the V3 design flaws was posted mid October. Jerry’s exacts words were “You know there are still backers that are waiting patiently for their boards cause they want me to fix all the kinks. But you want the board right away, so I gave it to you. Now you’re asking for the newer stuffs that’s really unfair. If whatever you read made you think there’s gonna be a better version, then you shouldn’t have ridden it and returned it back to me.”

This is especially aggravating because

1. All the Evos were originally supposed to have V3’s.
  2. The only difference between the V3 and V3 speed drive was advertised as the ability to run abec clones.
  3. I didn’t opt to receive a prototype when my board was sent out sooner than other Evos.

In fact, the whole reason he sent out my board sooner was a mistake on his part. The reason he sent it to me earlier was because he mistook my order for another Danny who was order number #17, when mine was in the #70’s. And I still received the board 3-4 months past the original shipping date.

Then following that I had previously told him that I didn’t want to take the problem to forums and that I’d rather address it with him personally and as a last resort I would make the public issue. His response was “Please don’t blackmail me by saying you’re gonna do a review. Go ahead, I really don’t control what people think.”

For someone who is trying to enter the complete board market, customer service is going to be one of the huuuuuge factors that play into what makes or breaks that company. If this is the way he plans on handling customer service I don’t see much commercial hope for these products.

In conclusion I want some other viewpoints on this issue. What would you do in my shoes? I’m fairly new to the e-skate world and I’m already beginning to see some of the major issues arise. These are marketed as high performance, high speed boards, and yet when you do just that they fail. Stuck in a really shitty middle ground due to how much I love riding it, but what a nightmare working with the manufacturer has been. Thanks for any and all input!

6 Likes

When it comes to vendors and incidents it’s just a he said she said senerio how do we know your not lying we don’t how do we know you didn’t jump over a ledge or something and brake the wires we don’t . You have a fair point and I understand you, @Deckoz made a post about stuff like this recently I’ve delt with most venders in esk8 and let me just say this both my motors strators went bad I got no warranty or refund or anything . It’s really hard sometimes because it’s sometimes one in a million senerio or as I said a he said vs she said story. The other thing I want to adress if u say V3’s are flawed I know one man who would have proved that if it was that would be bigboytoys dude is 260 pounds and his 4wd build seems to be fine

1 Like

The V3’s arent perfect but have held up 10x better than any of the hubs ive tried on the market and Ive tried most all of them save Hummies.

Ive also had to remove the can more than once due to various issues(smashed into a rock, debris, etc). Ive been able to do it everytime with some patience, not sure why he wasnt.

Ive had zero issues with shorting phase wires or broken solder joints on my motors and they get pushed hard. Any pics of the damage? Id think overheating would be the more likely cause of a motor short but that would be a shame considering the motors came temp sensor equiped and that feature has been available in the vesc tool since before the V3’s shipped.

Side note: my 4wd board got slammed into a curb at 30mph during a test drive on SPD2 and the axle bent. Jerry sent me a replacement axle and it was literally 3 screws, the axle nuts and about 20 mins of my time for replacement. I had to message him and compliment the design.

2 Likes

And that would be me that did that…lol

@go_electric one hell of a first post…and calling it a design flaw…holds little weight from you when @BigBoyToys has run these through the ringer…

And sounds like you are looking for something further than what hes offering since you are bringing up other issues not related to the issues with the motor.

The answer is clear. [quote=“go_electric, post:1044, topic:13119”] he would fix the Issues under warranty [/quote]

He has given you a solution to your issue. What more do you want?

I think Jerry giving you two options the two options of warranty repair or $100/motor upgrade is fair. I wouldn’t call it best in class service but I don’t think it’s totally unreasonable.

I also agree with you that given the price point and the rapidity of changes it appears less fair to early customers but companies have a lot to balance. Companies have a dilemma between innovating or freezing a design and they can be punished for both. For example, we’ve seen Elon Musk’s response when faced with backlash on updates that earlier versions Teslas didn’t receive. The irony is if v4 didn’t exist your issue would not be as pronounced.

1 Like

What I want is a board that isn’t going to become unrideable once a month. What this thread still failed to shine a light on is the fact that this board has already had one major issue. The switch fell out which resulted in the board being permanently turned on.

After asking Jerry if I could take a look at it, which he agreed to, I diagnosed and fixed the problem on my own without having to ship the whole board back (saving Jerry >$100 in shipping).

What I’m asking for is a complete board I can ride more than 2 months without having 2 major repairs already. As the consumer, I don’t understand why the burden of the boards issues have been past on to me, which I made pretty clear in the original post.

The Tesla comparison in a good one for this particular situation. Don’t get me wrong, I understand where Jerry is right now, he’s getting a company off the ground and I understand how hard that is. However if you build a house on a half-assed foundation what are you left with? The V4’s remember where announced before V3’s shipped and advertised as being final design after extensive R&D (hence the 6 month wait). I’m not asking for a new board, or even new motors! All i’m asking is he fixes the mistake so that the board doesnt need repairs ever month.

So it sounds like a lot of confusion is happening. Mixed up order numbers.

However these are things I got out of this -you paid -at the time you paid the advertising was for the V3’s not the v4’s(didn’t exist) -you did receive the motors(v3s) -jerry has offered to repair under warranty to the original specs of the v3 for free? -jerry has stated the updated components would be $100 surcharge

Did I get that right so far?

I understand emotions and money play into this as well as probably the responses and attitude of vendors.

But…the vendor has offered possibly acceptable solutions… -repair to the original specifications(v3) under warranty -repair and upgrade for $100

I get it its frustrating but if we take everything you’ve said, with Ockham’s Razor. It comes down to the two things above.

If neither of those are acceptable solutions, ship the parts back to the vendor with a tracking number. Take all of your emails, and transactions and info you have and present it to your payment processor. Showing that it didn’t function as it should have, you’ve returned the property to the vendor, and wish to create a charge back. If you get no where with businesses, proof of return of property, and communication records go a long way when presenting a charge back. It shows not only the payment processor, but the vendor that your concerns aren’t being taken seriously, and you would simply like to move on from an tangible good that was not as advertised.

Not shipping the item back before initiating a charge back, won’t end in your favor, as payment processors are there to protect sellers and buyers. Returning the item, means your serious, not lying, and not trying to scam and just say, it doesn’t work, I still have it, but I want my money back.

If this were me, and let’s say I was happy with the DD V3 before they died. I’d probably tell Jerry, please replace them back to factory spec under warranty(as offered), BUT I’d also like you to send the upgrade PARTs not installed, for $100 surcharge so that I would have spare parts.

My .2¢

2 Likes

Jerry informed that in order to make getting the motor off easier it world require a 3 arm jaw clap. If you could provide a video of you taking the axle off that would actually be of great help because I can’t seem to do it. Did taking it apart require any specialty tools on your hand? If so I’m not interested in making a big investment on tools I’ll only sometime use.

The cost to upgrade is $100 per motor. So @go_electric and I (or any of Carvon’s first 25 or so Kickstarter backers) would have to pay $200 to fix a design flaw that went noticed about a month after people started to receive their evos or v3s. I personally think that we shouldn’t have to pay 40% of the original cost of the motors in order to get this sorted out. We shouldn’t be paying for untested parts, at a premium price, with a 5 month wait time.

Not to mention the v3s were advertised as a design that would allow for the owner to service (clean, lube, or replace motor bearings), but the design flaws keep you from being able to do this after normal usage.

Really like the input on this issue. I appreciate how you’re understanding it from all angles, with just a few flaws. Jerry had told me it would be $100/motor to upgrade. So due to the V3’s dual motors, I’d be looking at an investment of $200 to have my motors to V4 specs. However this is only after 2 months of owning the motors and I’m already paying 40% (based off a $500 value of V3’s) to simply get a refined design.

He did offer to refund the board if I was unsatisfied, however that is not what I am looking for and he was the one to originally bring it up. I simply want the refined design that I know won’t have issues every few months (then again I can’t say it wasn’t an isolated issue). The motor sleeve/cans are a whole other issue that really should be addressed on CarvOn’s part.

Also considering that some Evo’s will have V3’s and some will have V4’s, to keep a consistent product I just don’t understand his reasoning behind this. It is my understanding he understood there was an issue with the V3’s and started sending out V4’s standard with all other Evo’s.

Just trying to be as factual as possible to inform about the very real issues going on. Hope this helps weigh the issue more. Thanks for the input!

I’m with you buddy. I would never recommend Carvon to anyone. First his design is shit. second his customer service is even worse than his design. I was his first customer many years ago. My hubs broke a million times. from bearings i couldnt change to stator spinning freely on the truck to ruined $120 abec wheels that flew off because he machined them too much etc etc. Dont even get me started about his attitude. I wrote this post many years ago after he told me he didnt want to help me fix my board and ignored all my communications. I had to do a charge-back on him. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68614&start=113

1 Like