General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

You have 39mph theoretical max speed at 12s and 90mm wheels on v4 XL. I think the XL is a safe bet either way :stuck_out_tongue:

But then you have to worry about more current draw at that speed as well(less range).

that’s what current limitations are for. Speed will always result in higher current on both kv’s.

If you are traveling at 30mph, and both motors have the same wheels the higher kv motor would be drawing less power though

EDIT: But after doing some calculations on the esk8 calc i tend to agree. The XL seems to be the better option for me honestly. I dont need to be going 35+ mph lol

I’m actually curious if that’s actually the case. I would imagine it’d take less current to drive at the same speed vs a higher kv motor. I wonder if anyone’s done testing for this.

Have to agree with @Jinra and lean XL… I am riding dual V2.5, same motors as the V4 SD XL (hope I got naming conventions right lol). Speed is more than plenty, 35mph for me still had room to go faster, more than I had room for. The torque is really strong, and would not trade down on that. I am 195lb, and prefer torque & hill climb over top speed in general, so that’s just me. Everyone has their own tradeoffs, but the v2.5s were better balance of torque/speed than the V2s for me.

I’ve been 30+mph a few times on the esk8, and iv’e fallen off the board going close to that speed, and I don’t exactly have an itch to go that fast anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Yall convinced me.

Trying to switch my order ATM. Emailed carvon.

@Fiori it’s abt feeling of how Carvon rides, not the speed really. You made the right decision.

Is the $100 upgrade charge for group buy people as well? They are listed at the same price on the carvon site

If you are gonna upgrade the EVO email [email protected] direct

If you are just upgrading the V4 SD to the XL https://carvonskates.com/products/carvon-v4-speeddrive-upgrade-to-xl

Ok, so it’s still an extra $100 for people in the group buy to upgrade.

Yes. I was just told to give the EVO people that email to discuss with Jerry directly.

2 Likes

did you plead my case yet? i’m expecting a set of v4s on my doorstep by the end of the week. if not it’s an instant 1 star on yelp

1 Like

I paid in Paypal for the group buy, just tried to purchase the upgrade but there is no paypal option on the website. Can I just send Jerry the $100 to the same email we used for the group buy and then just include my transaction ID from the group buy? Let me know.

Extra money laying around in the paypal that i’d like to use. I can always transfer it to the bank if needed, but just curious.

Jerry take all my money please.

1 Like

At the moment there is no PayPal option for Carvon.

Ugh it’s a shitty title change but …best I could do at the moment lol

2 Likes

Not true. If you are traveling at 30mph, regardless of the kV of the motor and all else being equal, you will draw the sams amount of power.

To move you, on a board, at 30mph, it requires X amount of power always. The difference lies in which system is more efficient. The answer to which system is more efficient is a difficult question because there are a lot of variables.

If it all comes down to the motor, it’ll depend on which of the two motors can better match the power/rpm/torque curves better. If the motor with the higher kV cannot provide enough torque to keep you at 30mph, it will require more power and have a lower efficiency than a motor with a lower kV. If you go with too low of a kV value, you will have a higher internal resistance on the coils and produce more heat. It’s a fine line.

This stuff is all to increase efficiency by 5-10%. Lots of math required. The easier way to do it is just to make your whole system over powered and sacrifice the 5-10% efficiency boost

2 Likes

can better match the power/rpm/torque curves better

I picked 30mph just because it was on the higher end of the speed spectrum here, I should have clarified.

Generally speaking though, when comparing two equal sized motors, one with high kv and another with lower kv. Lets say 150kv vs 200kv. the 200kv motors optimal efficiency torque/rpm/speed range would generally be higher though right?

Not accounting for the power it would take to reach said optimal range.

These are just my assumptions though…

You may have a cool idea though here. What if we ran one of those higher kv motors at higher RPM and lower load to increase their efficiency… then tied that to a wheel via a reduction ratio some how to convert it into practical range of speed/torque we need? Whoa the future of esk8 is almost here