Gear Drive Electric Skateboard Drive train

Just in time for Spring!

2 Likes

Did you ever decide if the cover was going to be aluminum or plastic. Also how much do you think these are going to weigh? (2 gear). Are there going to be different color options? I canā€™t wait for these :slight_smile:

Ive paused the 2 gear for the 3 gear all aluminium case with carbon fiber lid. With 3 steel gears. Canā€™t comment on weight just yet

Colour options black on Carbon fiber, silver on Carbon fiber. And probably others

4 Likes

Do you know what the ratio is going to be for the 2 gear?

Comes standard with 2.42 ratio and other gears will be available if you want to change the ratio. I am talkin about the 3 gear, imo if it works well there will be no reason to choose 2 gear drives for urethane

7 Likes

Any updates? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No pausing on 2 gear! Iā€™m sooooo close this @moon drive running

4 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ll have a 3 gear for my mtb build.

But Iā€™ll tell you this guys, the 2 gear is amazingly built. Ole @moon has really brought something special to us!

Make sure to buy one of these when they are out.

1 Like

Behind the scenes testing is being done

2 Likes

Any idea about the timeline? Would love to have one of these!

If you had to estimate the final retail price for the 3 gear urethane drive, in what ballpark would that be? Thinking if a single drive would be cheaper than, say, eloftyā€™s direct drive. (Iā€™m so fed up with belts at the moment xD)

Come pm me on the other forum :smiley:

3 Likes

https://forum./ :wink:

2 Likes

And how would you switch the gears from the remote? Or would it change when you change the speed level from letā€™s just say beginner mode to GT or Pro mode??

(I think you will find a thread to ask that on the forum above)

rusins I am getting sick of belts as well and right now I canā€™t even find the size belts I need for my build. I need belt sizes of 435 mm 5M 15mm wide. Can anyone help me find a few belts of that size??

This isnā€™t a clutch or transmission type of gear driveā€¦

1 Like

Could you imagine if we actually had thatā€¦

Yeah no switching gears mid ride. Thatā€™s not what gear drive means. It has gears transferring energy from the motors to the wheels rather than belts. One set gear ratio. Just like belts.

1 Like

I actually made a post about this, but there was a really cool concept for a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) drive system for an Esk8. Do a search I think Iā€™m like one of the only results for it, but it works similar to how mopeds can employ this tech. Still, I donā€™t think itā€™s feasible for Esk8, at least not yetā€¦

Heya, dude. Please donā€™t use noisy straight-cut gears, Go the extra mile and make them helical cut, double helical cut, or, at least, herring bone cut (not as quiet or strong) and if you go with single speed gears, try near silent typhoid gears used in buffers and grinders, so you donā€™t scare off the wildlife. Think Tesla silent, but in a skateboard form-factor. Capeesh? Also, normal skateboard wheels with direct drive motors is quieter, still (with no gears to wear out or strip. Just e.d.m. out a truck-arm shaped hole in the stator instead of the usual mounting brackets and belt ectā€¦ Good luck with whatever is easiest and cheapest with trend-setting results. Maybe you can start a niche market for builders that you could create a kit for.

3 Likes