Gear Drive Electric Skateboard Drive train

may the force be with u… i like the sound of the pricing :wink:

1 Like

I wish i had one. This is the most difficult part designing the pully for a belt or gear or carvon dd adapter . I get told sure by cnc shops then I bring the wheel and my adapter from my carvon drive and they say nope …lol… no one wants to design it…there isn’t a sole out here in the eskate world that has a pully or a wheel adapter for any type of drive so these wheels. I’ve been searching for months. So basically it is totally yours to design and be the first one to have it

Well that’s not ideal lol.

It does kind of look hard to design because the pronges will have to be pretty thin, am I right?

I think a bolt style pulley would be pretty easy

I figure four prongs every second hole should be ok and there is ribs lil teeth to grab on the outside on the back of the core IMG_20181023_230449|375x500 IMG_20181023_230257 Might be hard to see I have the crystals clear wheels

IMG_20181023_230449

Yeah I am familiar, I remember designing it at one point

1 Like

Man I wondered when someone would explore the 3 gear option. As well as lowering the profile of the drive it also provides a safety valve of sorts. With gear drives there is the real possibility of damaging esc’s and motors with too much force. In rc cars there is always an idler gear between the spur and pinion. It usually is made of a softer material and is the first thing to fail (in a good way) when the gears are put under too much pressure. This in turn saves the more expensive parts in the driveline. Imo just the next logical step forward in gear drives so good on you for being the first. Going to follow this avidly.

4 Likes

Quick update to this project to keep you guys updated.

The fittings and alignment of the parts seems to come together nicely but both @moon and I are still ironing out some very minor issue that is easily changed.

wx_camera_1540925009303 wx_camera_1540924991606

8 Likes

Ah @moon glad to see this coming on.

I have been off of the forum for a while so just checking up. Have you revised much from when we discussed this?

2 Likes

The 3 gear version has changed only a little bit. Most of the concept stayed the same. The 2 gear version is something that will be easier to design and test since there’s not much that can go wrong, the next version of 3D prints will hopefully be done on Thursday, I hope this is the last version too since I have ironed out the mistakes and design flaws in the previous version

I’m just a little slow at getting things going sometimes. I often find I design something and then there’s no progress after that. But most of my Saturday with an ultimaker v2. And like I said I have a couple parts in the post and shafts and bearings and some carbon fiber stuff that I will pick up next Saturday

IMG_20181103_153435 IMG_20181103_145659 IMG_20181103_152521 IMG_20181103_153640 IMG_20181101_202107 IMG_20181102_034641 IMG_20181102_034143

8 Likes

The biggest change will be moving away from carbon fiber motor plate and to a aluminum motor plate. I will need to make that in the next few weeks

2 Likes

Sounds like you are sorted but if you do need more help let me know dude :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Would be possible to have individual holes instead of slots to attach the arm to the clamp? eed45716a6a5c9a7a210ad92cd3372dc0bdd537a_1_375x500~2

1 Like

Yeah that’s the plan. That is v1. v2 is already made by not tested. And then v3 will be aluminum like you see in the second post of this thread

1 Like

Sorry, my bad for being distracted

IMG_20181103_145659

You can see in the bottom one that there are fixed mounting

It’s the same with the 2 gear system too

4 Likes

I think @PXSS is eventually going to make a hub adapter for carvon DD for the speed vents.

When he does this I may ask for 3D files so my gear drives can work with that. Depends if he is ok with that

2 Likes

Does the motor have to be adjustable Since there is no belt to tighten? If the motor is fixed position, the fit will be always perfect between gears, right?

1 Like

That is correct, in theory at least, lol.

EDIT: I stand corrected!