The AVIO Urethane Gear Drive

Some updates (17/10/18):

After about 100km on the drive, it’s still running really good. I will continue testing this version it breaks or till I hit 1000 km, whichever comes first. Riding about 20 to 30km per day after work to test this out… it’s really tiring. (Testing of this drive involves riding at speeds of 20 to 35kmh up and down 10 to 25% inclines to really stress test the drive system).

Few changes to the next version:

• Integrating the Caliber Adapter and Washer together. Also changed chamfer angle to fit Kegel adapters in the future.
  • Increasing width of the Motor Cover Case by 2mm to increase motor shaft clearance (The drive can now work for a max motor shaft length of 30mm).
  • Decreasing bearing clearance for an interference fit to the spur gear.
  • Increasing size of spur gear mounting holes for a looser fit and better alignment tolerances.
  • Exploring the possibility of a CNC-ed POM spur gear.
10 Likes

Awesome project sir! Following this for sure! :man_factory_worker:

1 Like

Try their white nylon, it’s cheaper and pretty tough. We have a lot of parts from shapeways in our robot. Strength wise, it is entirely different from fdm.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but my part’s aren’t FDMed. They’re made with hp jet fusion (a more advanced sintering process) are made from Nylon PA12. It’s incredibly strong, but really expensive with each gear running me about 40usd, not exacly feasible for scaled production. I dont think shapeways is any cheaper too ): …

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was saying to Pedrodemio. Shapeways is not FDM, it’s SLA. Yeah, I remember my gears costing $35ish, but they have lasted me 2 years and still look great.

@mishrasubhransu Ahhhh damn didnt see that the reply was from him haha. Opps. Are they any cheaper than Weerg though?

Thanks, tried it to but for my design was just a bit cheaper, if I didn’t have it may be worth

Really are looking great

Thanks~

Feeling great. Haha. Gonna set them up on FOC soon and see what the noise is like.

1 Like

IMG_20181019_012301

Swapped from

• 6355 150kv unsensored motor in BLDC to 6374 190kv sensored motor in FOC sensored
  • Will be swapping 97mms to 107mms.

Goals:

• To push the drive to a higher top speed.
  • To see how quiet I can get my gear drive system to be.
7 Likes

Nice ! yes, pleeaaase more !!! This 4 points are really cool for your next test !

IMG_20181019_143846

Going for a range test now.

My old setup with dual 5055s on a belt drive gave me 25 to 30km with regular riding (from 4.2v to 3.3v)

Shall see what a single 6374 on my gear drive gives me…

12 Likes

Keep it up dude. Regret not teast v.1 Really wanting to try geardrive out.

1 Like

great work

#The Build Post with Updates

Hey everyone! Decided to design a sealed, compact gear drive (2.65 Ratio) of my own to fit 63mm motors while making it compatible with any 184mm caliber trucks commonly available. I'm unsure if this will be for sale in the future, but I've already ordered some of the necessary parts and will making one soon to test it out! Making this thread to be my build and designing log :smiley: any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Version 0.1 Newest 644x450

Version 0.2 Kegel%20Gear%20Drive 644x500

Materials forming the gear drive: Mount: T6 Aluminium Gear: HP Jet-Fusion Nylon PA12 (May change to CNC-ed POM if Jet Fusion doesn't work) Pinion: Steel Wheel Adapter: HP Jet-Fusion Nylon PA12 Mount Cover: HP Jet-Fusion Nylon PA12 Seal: V-Ring Seal

Let me know what ya'll think!

Update (09/09/18): 3rd iteration through 3d printing. Got all the parts to fit nicely. (Ignore the bashed up motor :smile:) IMG_20180909_225604 666x500

Update (10/09/18): Redesigned it a little to accommodate smaller wheels (97mms) better (chopped off the end by 5mm to give it better ground clearance). Also made the overall footprint of this drive slightly smaller.

With this current gear setup (Module 1.5), I don't think i can get it any smaller to fit 90mm wheels.

Gear_Caliber_Mount_2018-Sep-10_06-53-23AM-000_CustomizedView16432058468 670x451 Gear_Caliber_Mount_2018-Sep-10_06-53-55AM-000_CustomizedView4646797648 670x499

Update (11/09/18): Made it EVEN smaller to hopefully accomodate 90mm wheels now. Internals remain the same. Time to CNC them all!

IMG_20180912_005100 666x500

Update (13/09/18): Renamed to the Aortal Gear Drive (Name was derived from the blood-red lube i'm going to be using) IMG_20180912_202513 666x500

Designed a logo to 3d print on to the Cover. aortal 507x499

Designed a Kegel-core mount so Kegel wheels shall now fit on this Drive! Kegel%20Gear%20Drive 644x500

Update (26/09/18): It'll be 2 weeks before my CNCed mounts and motors arrive, can't wait! In the mean time, my HP Jet-Fusioned parts have arrived and everything fits! :smiley: Will try to source for a transparent cover (kinda cool to see the internals). Also updated my design to make space for dual-6355s on the E-Caliber hangar or dual-6374s on the TB218 hangar. Unfortunately, the current design will only accomodate up to a single 63XX on a regular caliber ll mount.

IMG_20180923_195604%20(1) 650x500 Dual%20Drive%20Render 650x500 Aortal%20Drive%20107mm%20Wheels 650x500 Aortal%20Drive%20107mm%20Wheels_Front 650x500

Update (30/09/18): Fine tuned everything, down to how tight the V-Ring sits. Made a BOM for this gear drive. Eagerly waiting for all the parts to arrive on 8th Oct before I begin assembly and testing. Here's the Aortal Gear Drive in all its glory - This will be the final render and I will be working on a skid plate now.

Turntable 600x450

Update (10/10/2018): So, the parts are here. Time to get it going. I'm currently in the middle of building a dual belt drive on an aileron deck, so getting another build up to test this will have to wait for abit. I might decide to replace a belt drive on one of my single drive builds to save me some time, we'll see. As always, some pics! :smile:

IMG_20181010_012639 666x500 IMG_20181010_021144 666x500 IMG_20181010_021213 666x500

Update (11/10/2018): Test 1: 15-18kmh @ a 10% gradient.** Microphone: Huawei P20 Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZZjb3qyfk&feature=youtu.be

Test 2: 25-30kmh @ a 10% gradient. Microphone: Huawei P20 Pro https://youtu.be/_j2FA3eHOU8

Update (17/10/18): After about 100km on the drive, it's still running really good. I will continue testing this version it breaks or till I hit 1000 km, whichever comes first. Riding about 20 to 30km per day after work to test this out… it's really tiring. (Testing of this drive involves riding at speeds of 20 to 35kmh up and down 10 to 25% inclines to really stress test the drive system).

Few changes to the next version:

• Integrating the Caliber Adapter and Washer together. Also changed chamfer angle to adapt Kegel adapters in the future.
  • Increasing width of the Motor Cover Case by 2mm to increase motor shaft clearance (The drive can now work for a max motor shaft length of 30mm).
  • Decreasing bearing clearance for an interference fit to the spur gear.
  • Increasing size of spur gear mounting holes for a looser fit and better alignment tolerances.
  • Exploring the possibility of a CNC-ed POM spur gear.

Update (27/10/2018):

• 250km in and still going strong. Loctite 638 stuff is really insanely strong, I'm surprised at how well it has been holding up.
  • Range test has shown an increase in efficiency of about 15 to 20% compared to my previous belt drive. (Tests were conducted using the same board and rider, on the same test route. The amount of energy (Wh) expanded was then recorded to calculate).
  • Re-lubed at the 200km mark. V-RING seems to be working really well with very minimal gunk build-up.
  • Have managed to source for CNC-ed POM gears as an alternative to 3D printing.
  • Made some changes to the 3D printed cover. Increased its width (to achieve a more seamless design) while making it more hollow cheaper to 3d print).
  • The motor mount seems to be working flawlessly so far, secured with 4xM8 set screws torqued to 16Nm each, secured with loctite 243.
  • Motor mount screws came loose at the 130ish km mark - have since torqued them down to 6Nm and secured them with loctite 243.
  • Will now be gauging the interest of these drives for sale. Check the first post for more information.
  • The testing continues.

Update (29/10/2018):

• Talked to my suppliers, based on the gauged interest, i’ve decided to order 20 sets, 10 Left and 10 Right sets. (A dual rear drive would require 1 of each set.)
  • To keep the cost down, and to have a variety of options, I’ve decided to have it be in a clear finish (shot-peened & clear anodized.) I would then spray paint it to a variety of colours (right now: Candy Red, Candy Blue and Flat Black).
  • I’ve made a google order form for those who are interested to get a set or multiple sets. Due to the limited amount of sets i’ll be ordering, I’ll be selling the kits on a first come first served basis. The final price will also be reflected when I issue the payment request through the PayPal emails listed in the google form. I will also update the final price here on the forums.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfgBuTulJXbCGO6cEv7lBuWa77PZ0V3FDgCUdaqh94DBtw1KA/viewform

Note: I'm interested to know if anyone would be interested to purchase these gear drives if I can get the price to around 150USD incl. intl shipping per set (ONE DRIVE) Price should be higher once I’ve figured everything out, it’ll range from 150 to199 USD. (It will include everything in except the motor.) Am thinking of CNCing a batch to lower production costs and sell the rest.

More information to come your way soon, once I have things finalised with my suppliers.

14 Likes

Wanted to ask the reason as to why it is limited to 107mm? would it be possible to fit the upcoming @torqueboards 110mm on these as well? :smile: I would be interested for a small cruiser board they definitely are compact and really affordable for gear drives!

happy to buy 4 of the CNC’d versions to test AWD, please lmk

2 Likes

It even works on 97mm haha (tested for the first 50km). Anthing larger than 97mm on an abec core will work.

I’m working on a kegel core now, but it’s really low on my priorities now simply because only 100mm wheels can work with this drive.

Yeah, I’m not really in this to make money, the pricing simply factors in a little of my labour costs + the costs of the items and shipping. Free shipping may be a stretch, but i’ll see how much it costs and update the price accordingly. My aim is to make it an affordable gear drive for everyone.

I’ve thought about releasing the files, but I didn’t see the point in the end because you’d have to have CNC contacts to build it, not something one can 3d print.

1 Like

Count me in! Would love to have these for a thane drive! I think its got the biggest wheel options currently especially for the price. Great job dude. Gonna go over the thread but definitely interested for that price point

1 Like

150 per set, set meaning 2 drives???

2 Likes