The AVIO Urethane Gear Drive

Grease. Haha. I’d imagine that when you pay for branded bearings, you’re paying for precision and tight tolerances. I’d think that they should’nt be too big of a deal when we’re using them as seals.

1 Like
1 Like

is this something only the creators of this forum can adjust? ):

Probably reached the limit

1 Like

had no idea there was a limit. damn.

Update 14/11/2018

• I have ordered 20 motor mounts to be CNCed (based on the v2 design). Of these 20 drives, ill be assembling a dual drive for myself and @Linny, leaving 16 sets to be sold. As of now, there’s interest for more than 20 sets and hence will be selling them based on a first-come-first-serve basis.
  • I will be sending PMs to the people who have indicated interest to ask them if they would like a lathed TB hanger/E-caliber hanger/normal caliber hanger. I will also need confirmation of the orders/ a deposit before I proceed to order said hangers.
  • The new pinions I ordered fit, and now include a keyway. The hub of the pinion will be grinded/lathed away!

IMG_20181114_201437

5 Likes

I think everyone will ask so,

What motors fit with each hanger?

What’s the price difference of the hangers options?

What’s the new all-in price?

I love the progress but I always get worried when meat is removed from trucks. Wish there was time for you to test them for a bit before committing.

Still excited!

1 Like

I’m definitely still going to test them when I get em. We hardly removed much from the trucks, from a 20mm ish diameter to 19mm. Reason for doing so is to ensure perfect concentricity throughout the drive, with the added benefit of having the motor mount agnostic to any hanger. At 19mm, you have nothing to worry about, even paris trucks are close to 19mm in diameter :slight_smile:

• For dual 6374 motors and below - TB 218mms.
  • For dual 6355 motors and below - E-Calibers
  • For single 63xx motors - Any Caliber styled hanger.

I will be probably be purchasing the E-Calibers from @longhairedboy and the TB 218mms from @torqueboards. You could probably head over to their shops to check the pricing out :slight_smile:

I’m still waiting on @Linny to finalise the new total price with the trucks. He will be adding the cost to turn the hangers into the total price. However, the price of the drive will remain at 150USD (but I might have to charge a little for shipping, just found recently (through my mass clearance sale) that shipping to the USA isn’t as cheap as I thought it was going to be. With the added weight of the trucks, it will be impossible for me to cover the cost of the drive.

Glad you’re still excited! I am too!

4 Likes

Nice to see this going forward

About the concentricity, pay extra attention to it, if you hold one side of the hanger on the lathe and mill the other one it will not be concentric

If you hold both side there is a chance that it still won’t be concentric, that happened in mine and ruined the core of my kegels

Ideally you would want to just secure the side you are milling and see if you can reverse mount the tools on the lathe

What matters is that the 8mm axle is concentric with the bearing seats on that particular side, if you try to be concentric across both sides you will have a bad time

1 Like

Yeah, I get what you mean haha. Thankfully calibers have very little axle bend between the 2 axles, which made turning alot easier. We managed to secure both sides. The paris trucks we had were a nightmare.

1 Like

Nice to hear that calibers are better, if any day I went back to a similar setup I will go with them

The Paris you can spin in your hand and see how far off center one axle is from another

1 Like

Yeah, they went bonkers on the lathe. Haha.

1 Like

My first try to reduce the diameter was using a drill press, one side on the drill and another in a wheel clamped to the base, I don’t have to say that the result was crap

Put me down for a pair of drives plus the Caliber E truck.

This project looks pretty awesome, and I’m all for improving efficiency.

Have sent you a PM regarding the order form (:

With quite a few of the pre-orders backing out, i still have 1 drive (1 left) for sale! Do shoot me a PM to get it!

Hey @nuttyjeff I was going over your design again after making a few changes in mine, are you running the V-Ring in direct contact with the PA12 case? no steel insert?

For the V1, yes. It wears the PA12 down abit, so you have to get the dimensions perfect.

1 Like

This is what I was going to ask, they recommend a hardness of at least 60A

yeah, you can’t use just any plastic with the V-ring, it has to be slightly wear resistant, which the PA12 is. Closing on 500km on the V-ring version and still holding strong. Am hoping the new bearing seal model works out so people can get more creative with their enclosure material options and hopefully print some themselves.

1 Like