Gathering Electronics from scratch

If I use a 6s 5000Ah lipo does anyone know roughly how long it will last on a 1 motor electric skateboard. I know it depends on the speed but just for an average trip with some stopping, slowing down and fast speeds. Thanks

Maybe 5 miles @noushi

I get about 13km, on my single motor 6S 5000mah board. (that’s about 8 miles for the Americans)

1 Like

What size wheels does everyone use? Is 70mm wheels enough as then there is also the trucks amd riser pads which add even more clearance?

Seeing as @onloop is busy shipping stuff I’ll repost this in all the threads that don’t follow the guidelines quoted by onloop here:

In order to make the “E-board Builds” category really easy to search & locate specific builds i am asking that you change your title to something descriptive that better expresses the makeup of your build. Most of the new build threads tend to end up with a name such as “new- noob - noobie - beginner - first - build - help - newb” this becomes hard to keep track of. I would like to see each build thread with a descriptive title, such as; Project Name | Deck Name | Trucks | Motor type | Mounting method | Voltage/Battery | ESC Example The Samurai | Custom Deck | Paris Trucks | R-SPEC | Custom Mount | 10S | VESC

@noushi same here as @lowGuido. I get about 9 miles with 5000mah using 8S. Terrain and speed impact this by about 30%.

But what size wheels do you all use @psychotiller @treenutter @lowGuido @mccloed ? Are 70mm wheels fine when considering the riser pads are like 12mm?

@noushi I’m using 127mm pneumatics but you don’t need wheels that are that large; that was a choice based on my environment. I’ll let others weigh in on the size of their urethane wheels, 83mm flywheels, or their clones, seem to be standard.

@treenutter would 70mm be too small. 83mm just seems big!

@noushi as the wheel gets smaller, you lose the opportunity to create a useful reduction ratio with your gearing. That’s the ratio between your motor pulley and your wheel pulley. A greater ratio allows you to create torque, which you need to start moving and to power up inclines. in DIY anything is possilble! So it is possible to use 70mm wheels, but I think it’s smaller than what most use in this community. Take a look at the measurements of the available wheel pulleys from @onloop and @torqueboards, this should help you to figure out if it will work.

Yes @treenutter but doesn’t a smaller wheel diameter increases the torque so i dont need such a high gearing, which will also mean the speed will increase so overall wont my torque and speed be the same as an 83mm wheel board

I would say minimum you should use would be 75mm. Smaller than that and you are going to run into several speed bumps in your build. I hate risers and won’t use them. Being up high on a longboard feels retarded and is avoidable with the right parts. I have builds with 75, 80, 85 , 105 and 150mm wheels right now.

It is all about clearance. On 83mm wheels even a 30 tooth pulley will be extremely close to the asphalt.

@noushi you’re right in theory, but as you shrink down the pulleys and wheel, you need to also shrink down the teeth on them. There is a limit to how small the teeth on the pulleys and belt can be and still transfer the required torque without slipping. That’s why 5HTD is the standard that most settle on. Like @psychotiller said, 75mm is about the smallest you can get without some unique engineering (which I heartily endorse!)

I have 70mm wheels on all my builds. I only have 2mm risers on my daily.

@lowGuido what size pulleys and belts do you use

30t and 12t pulleys. The 30t is pretty close to the ground. Id say i have hit it on small rocks plenty of times.

@lowGuido what speeds and torque do you get? Can you go up some moderate hills?

top speed on flat 35km /h and handles hills so long as you have a bit of momentum.

So could someone (@lowGuido @treenutter @psychotiller @mccloed or anyone else) please tell me if the this setup will work: Turnigy aerodrive 236kv motor 120A HK X Car beast ESC 6s 5000 mah lipo 76mm wheels 12T to 30T pulley system

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help