Full face helmets and awareness

its glue. it holds things in place. you get some that wont eat the foam and its easy to do. but to each their own and wish I could get every helmet that people decide isn’t safe because the glue failed.

Regular Skate helmet

TSG Pass

3 Likes

Respect for that man. People in todays world will try to make money on anything without giving a single shit about others.

And @Hummie, I’m not here to argue either, you’re a cool dude, but re-read what you’re saying. If a helmet was designed to shift during impact, glueing it back will not allow for the same structure/function. Compression in helmets is not the only protection.

If 1 cell in your battery pack fails, you won’t replace it with a different type, right? The battery will most likely work, but you’d be risking instability. Same with helmets, you never know when you could crash. So why play with your safety? Unless you wear a helmet for the looks ofcourse.

3 Likes

actually I offered to get it from his trash.

looking through what places say about replacing helmets you can see a whole spectrum. on the one side you have the sticker and manufacturer and safety organizations saying throw it out after three years or have anything happen to it. but I don’t trust that point of view and call me cynical but I suspect they want sales. and then you have this guy quoted here who in my mind is more an expert than anyone since he’s been testing for like 20 years saying the most important thing is just to look for damages and really a a damaged, indented, helmet is still good as long as you don’t hit in the same spot. https://www.outsideonline.com/2257271/how-tell-if-you-need-new-helmet

as far as a liner that has moved I think they label things for marketing sake and to make it seem more complicated. sure the liner moving in the helmet might reduce the shock but if the foam isn’t compressed and the liner is put back where it started you pretty much have the same helmet.

How do you know that the 2nd time you fall won’t be on the exact same spot but at 3 times the strength!?

1 Like

Been wearing motorcycle, ski, skateboard, bike, and auto racing helmets for over thirty years…never once seen one say it was designed for multiple impacts. Even my Kevlar helmet in the Marines had to be shit-canned after it fell between decks while on ship.

3 Likes

And I declined, and took a circular saw and cut the lid in half just to ensure it never gets used. Because I care about others, especially when I could potentially indirectly effect someone.

4 Likes

that’s literally what the tester said. His point is its a material that just compresses and you can see where it gets compressed. if you don’t see compression theres room to compress but Ive said my part and really its just going off the link I added that has quotes from the guy who is for sure more knowledgeable than us

I have 2 tsg pass pro helmets.

Ventilation is perfect. Hearing is not impaired at all. There is a mouth opening and the ventilation serves to keep you cool even on hot days.

Huge viewing angles

1 Like

Word, I don’t think visibility is impaired at all, unless you got the wrong size.

1 Like

Where can one try out a TSG pass? Should I be looking in a general sporting goods store or are there only specific companies that do distribution? (in the US around Chicago if that helps) . I’d like to get one but don’t want to throw down so much cash if it doesn’t fit well.

1 Like

@Hummie

“If there’s minor crushing, you may not have to replace the helmet. “In reality, the next accident probably won’t hit in the same spot,” Parks says. “For the most part, a helmet that’s crushed a little bit is probably going to work fine in the next accident, but it’s dangerous for anyone to make that statement, because we don’t know what that next accident is going to be.”

This guy is saying hey, you could probably use it again, but it’s less safe and if fuckup and get in an accident in the same way again it’s not going to protect you properly.

Personally my brain is worth > 300$ to me. And 4300 isn’t really that much cash to me compared to the risk.

I wouldn’t say esk8 is a cheap sport. And riding without proper protection gear / taking measures you can is not an intelligent move.

Cheaping out where it comes to your safety is dumb.

Manufacturers say you should discard the helmet after an impact. So discard or make the helmet into a cool wall ornament after impact.

Nuff said. Your own quotes.

call me nitpicky but perfect ventilation would be no helmet and there’s degrees under that. hearing is obviously impaired as your ears are now contained in a fiberglass shell. and yes huge viewing angles but those are not as big as if there were no frame at all of course. I can see my nose so I can see the full face helmet when its on my head.

Sure. If you want to be nitpicky adjusted for you -> “IMHO ventilation is perfect”. And no. I’d say that the viewing angles literally impair my vision in no practical way. In fact as OP later stated it improves vision at high speeds because I’m not squinting.

As a plus on sunny days it has built in sunglasses :slight_smile:

I’ve got one and am in Southern michigan. Def will be tripping out to chicago at some point this summer. I’ll def bring it along if you want to meetup and try it on. It’s a Pro Large

Their measurements on their website are spot on.

The carbon pro does fit a size smaller than the normal TSG pass

1 Like

yea. that’s what i said and he said. maybe we were misunderstanding. that’s what i meant and mean to say

The only part that matters is this, which you are ignoring and suggesting others to ignore it as well.

1 Like

I’m not ignoring it. his statement tells completely about the materials and what they do. if i have a crash and see no signs of compression its totally good according to this logic. if it does show compression then its not as good at taking a hit in that spot. my overall point is there’s nothing fancy going on and its a piece of foam that gets compressed. if it hasn’t been compressed, it can be compressed.

i think I’m going on about it because you take the strong other end of the spectrum, which might even be following the sticker and what places will say, and theres an assumption its no longer good but without any visible evidence

to me, based on what this guy says, if it looks good its good. and i don’t mean the nice pearl gloss purple finish

@moderators can someone clean this thread up including my responses. I don’t think there is any value to the community here with any suggestions or responses to modifying and or reusing safety equipment for dome pieces and mispread if information is likely to do more damage than good retaining these posts.

1 Like