Full DIY Custom Electric Caster Board | Emax GT5345 | Maytech 12S ESC | 10S 10Ah Lipo

Cool… just saw this on your Instagram. Epic…

2 Likes

Looks awesome. How does a two wheel contraption like this handle fast turns? Seems kinda scary without a handle of some kind :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s impossible to turn fast and sharp on this thing, rather smooth carving at high speed it’s limited by ground clereance.

I didn’t say it’s practical commute vehicle :joy: It requires nice straight smooth road where you can hit that throttle and go fast!

Hi, I finished this build, received parts from anodizing and put all of this together, here You can see the results. Board ready to ride weights 9kg.

Here’s closeup of drivetrain, 12/60 ratio #25H chain, real top speed 45 km/h, the faster the more stable board gets.

And here is clean battery capacity meter I mounted from underside, drilled holes are filled with hot glue

I’m pretty happy with the result, although it’s more like unicycle, it can be ridden but it’s not very practical :smiley: It’s nice workout for my metatarsus, it needs to be rock solid while riding :joy:

15 Likes

masterpiece !!!

1 Like

45kph sounds crazy :smiley: dont you plan to install footrests/bindings of some sort? Wouldnt that help with maneuvering?

1 Like

holy hell that’s cool.

Actually bindings sound like a cool idea and might even improve stability, but my only concern is that they would make bailing out more difficult, also starting riding this thing is tricky because I must give myself a push with left foot (I’m goofy) and then placing this foot in a binding, in my opinion would be impossible. Only something like freebord bindings seem reasonable.

could someone link the ES page for the original? I cant seem to find it.

Edit Found: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=76328

yeh I was thinking of just that - freeboars style ‘‘foot rests’’, so that you can lock your feet in just a little bit more… otherwise with the wobbly deck it sounds it might be a bit scary to do some cornering…

This surely is crazy advanced diy stuff, sir! Amazing project.

1 Like

Looks really nice anodized. 45 kph sounds pretty scary! I’m trying to think if there’s a way to convert these things to scooters. Something with a fold-down steering bar would be cool. Keep the current caster mechanism to maintain a real low profile once it’s all folded up.

Curious about your machining set up. Noticed your motor mount has lots of curvy parts.

@bill_f Forgive me the delay in response, I just had to find a moment to look for a photos of my workshop, I’m currently away from it and had to search in my photo library.

So I print paper templates and glue them to the aluminium sheet, then use my bandsaw (in vertical configuration, with table attached) to freehand cut the parts out.

Then it depends on accuracy I need to have, in this case round parts didn’t need to be perfecly round so I just freehand ground them on my belt grinder You can see on the picture below (here it’s pictured with the flat platten, but I also have contact wheels and smaller rollers for grinding curves, and it tilts 90 degrees to horisontal config as well), works fine for me :sunglasses: Then used my mill (yellow machine) to add cutouts, drill and tap holes, etc.

Also my lathe is very usefull :wink: I turned distance barrels for mounting sprockets and shafts for wheels.

That’s pretty much all I used to make this build happen.

Oh and as for the scooter conversion, I’m thinking about this too, but it would require to make new front steering mechanism, I can’t think of any way to convert this board with caster steering front, maybe I’ll make some new parts later this year.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Didn’t realize a metal band saw was a thing, but I guess, why not. Seems pretty handy.
I’ve got a small belt sander and a small Bosch drill press. They work fine but do not give me many fixturing options. Find that no matter how much I measure, I don’t get the accuracy I’m looking for.
Still thinking of ways to add a steering column to caster board with the current set-up. Curious to see what you come up with.

@squad did you get more comfortable riding this very unique thing? would love to try that for a few days - slim blade, feet pointed forward behind each other, natural turn without bushings. i wonder if one could tune this kind of board to resemble the race boarding experience ive loved for all my life now.

it would need some camber, sone flex tuned for the speed and carving arcs you want.

im just not sure yet if i understood the steering 100% … if i flex a snowboard or a board, the radius is dynamically getting smaller - more pressure is build up, sensation sets in. i cant seem to grasp how that works with this kind of steering setup. :confused: i think any setup that is supposed togive a great feel needs this feeling of pumping energy into the system and returning it in the right moment. and tuning the amount of energy you can put into such a system while riding only works by adaption of the radius. would love to hear your thoughts about if you can think of a way to make that possible?

Hi @whitepony, excuse me delay in response as I was all day in my workshop and didn’t have time to reply until now. I got comfortable enought to reach speed limit and do slight carving while going so. Turning radius is huuuuge on this thing, mostly because of ground clearance. This steering mechanism does not give the feel of pressure building up while turning, I would compare it to balancing while walking the line, my feet need to be rock solid all the time, it gets better as You gain speed. I think that what You talking about could be achieved with using something more like dirt surfer, bigger wheels to get gyro effect on your side, long steering arm of dirt surfer looks like it stabilizes itself in the cetral position more easily under riders weight.

I believe that after more experimenting with geometry one could came up with a really interesting ride experience.

It’s spare-scrap parts build so I’m happy with what I achieved, but I wouldn’t allow anyone else ride it :smiley: getting first steps is too difficult for average person without esk8 background, too many things to synchronise, pushing yourself to get some speed, then carefully applying throttle while struggling to keep balance.

I’m really curious what @bill_f experience will be with his board.

2 Likes

How does this battery meter work?

There are five LEDs and each represents certain capacity left,100, 75, 50, 25 and under 10, if I recall properly(4 green, 1 red) I just modified it to show percentage all the time, bridged push button.[quote=“jackw, post:37, topic:18902, full:true”]

How does this battery meter work? [/quote]

That’s pretty cool, did you build the circuit or is it something you bought?

I bought it from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/221813764673?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

UPDATE!!!

I must say I’m kinda changing my way of looking at this vehicle, I’m starting to feel really comfortable riding it. Today I rode 12 km in local park, on bike lines, between some people. It’s really maneuverable. I guess I just had to get used to riding my caster board, it’s not “scary as fuck” anymore :smiley: Really enjoyable to ride, even on not so perfect asphalt, with cracks etc.

@bill_f how is Your board doing?

2 Likes