Freefly Robotics new universal motor controller, ARC200. Thoughts?

That sounds doable, I kick off anyways, feels weird not too :slight_smile:. I should have something up and running by this weekend.

1 Like

I would definitely try sensorless first, I am totally happy with it (but I am also lazy and don’t want to hook up sensors!)

1 Like

what does the wiring for that look like? These floppy dongles with weird connectors are killing me.

CAN wiring is discussed on this page (as well as safe wiring of multiple drives for PWM): https://freeflysystems.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FRP/pages/295108609/Multiple+Drives

We don’t currently sell a pre-made CAN cable, although we may at some point in the future sell a 2-drive CAN connection cable. In the mean time, you’d have to make your own.

1 Like

Floppy = yes Dongly = yes

waterproof = yes latching = yes

you cant have it all! :wink:

2 Likes

I used that extra cable to second PWM input cable :slight_smile: worked pin positions.

2 Likes

Everything I’m building is 13S; is 13S on the roadmap?

1 Like

@christensent We got it running last night using a dual PWM set up. I’ll forward @jayx the link to the CAN setup information. He’s the one building out the test rig and learning the config at the moment, i’ve got my hands full with evolve mods, battery builds, and another witchblade custom i’m building out. And i was recently loaned a Ninebot Z10 to learn and have been falling off of it repeatedly, which is very important work.

My initial reaction to the ARC200 dual set up we’re running is that its super smooth, a “wall of power” is how jake describes it. I rode around on them a while and i really like the feel of them. At the moment we’re running non-sensored motors trying to test the accommodations it has for them and see how it behaves: start from standstill, start from standstill in less than ideal conditions such as with the drive wheels in a gutter or on an incline, roll back then roll forward transitions, etc.

It’s very, very quiet. Even the stuttering on start (which still happens for us at the moment, still toying with the config) is quiet and sounds weirdly muffled. We are getting a lot of (very muffled and quiet) stuttering on start, and it doesn’t want to come out of the gutter from a standstill like my board does. But the overall riding experience (while riding and not starting up) on them is extremely polished and lovely.

Any advice for settings on making the start from standstill smoother would be appreciated. I’m sure there’s something we’re just missing. I’ll get the exact specs on the motors we’re using in a few, but i think he’s got a set of brother hobby 6380s on there, not 100% sure of the KV but i suspect 190.

4 Likes

Correction, its a set of G-Force 200KV 6374s. We aquired them through an eval, we seem to get a lot of things to test these days.

I also have a brand new set of SK3 6374 190KV motors we can try, and of course i have sensored 6355s from maytech, but i’d really like to see what these can do uncensored first. Even a Hobby King FOC ready vesc based ESC can deliver pure joy on sensors. If the ARC200 is really going to set itself apart, it needs to perfect sensor-less operation and fool people into thinking its magic like the site says it does, so we’ll keep playing with the settings.

I can feel some magic in there though.

1 Like

me too, I only spun mine up a couple of times but oh so quiet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While spinning without much load even monsters 80100 sounds like pussy cats not tigers :smiley:

2 Likes

By far the most important thing to play with for smooth sensorless startup is the Jitter Speed 1 and 2 parameters. This really takes some trial and error to get right for a particular vehicle. Usually with five minutes work on these you can get startup working far better than defaults. You will probably end up somewhere in the 15 to 150 range on these numbers.

These numbers are going to be some of the most valuable to share so that we can sort of crowd-source the tuning of jitter startup! The more data points I can get, the closer we can come to a more universal method of tuning the sensorless startup that requires less trial and error.

2 Likes

Passing this on now! Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

So yesterday was filled with more falling off of my borrowed Z10 as well as the usual work and then trick or treating, but some progress was made on the dragster. @jayx played with the settings a bit before i got home and also slapped a set of kegels on the back. It launches like a rabid beast but still wants a little more tweaking.

3 Likes

Get some video if you can! I am curious to see this beast in action!

1 Like

Would like to see the Arc200 entered in the First Esk8 uphill race in Jan. Maby you could partner with someone who is going. My thoughts for factory backed riders is it’s good for everyone… win on Sunday sell on Monday…

8 Likes

We would definitely be in to support this in some capacity!

5 Likes

Majority of the riders on this list are in the forum. Just give em a PM. Race Roster: update

1. @Arzamenable (custom Quad)
  2. @moestooge (custom Dual)
  3. @ethel (custom Dual)
  4. @trancejunkiexxl (custom Quad)
  5. @OllinBoardCompany @chaka (prodo Dual Diag)
  6. Art Zuniga. (custom Dual)
  7. @Psychotiller
    Tim. ( ??? ???)
  8. Ramon Hoffman.
  9. Jason Lucier
3 Likes

@tabbytabb

image image

we’re getting these errors when running FOC detection.

also when we jam the throttle it coggs up, which sort of make sense with bad detection, but it can throw you

the motors are SK3 192kv 6374s, forgot to mention that

2 Likes