For Sale: Firefly Esk8 Remotes and Parts Kits *No longer accepting requests*

Ok perfect. The only thing I do not have the pipe line to generate manually in the Transmitter.ino anymore. It does it automatically. Indeed you can see them both when you access the remote setting.

I used the Transmitter and receiver. Ino linked in the firefly remote wiki in github. Library for nrf24and u8g2lib and the VESC UART library linked in solid Geek wiki (rolling gecko).

Mmm, I’m not sure what that links to. Just grab the files straight off the GitHub repo. It’s the only way to really be sure what branch you’re getting.

Yeh I got the one from github like you showed in your videos

HI, so I used as you said I used https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl/tree/VESC6 the VESC6 branch plus U8g2lib.h, rf24.h on both transmitter and receiver. The upload succeded without any error message, although I don’t have to set the pipe line anymore, does it sound right to you? There is a way to test them without connect them to the vesc? I would like to know it before take everything apart. Thx

OK, sorry to bother you but I think I am really close. So in all the cases I use https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl/tree/VESC6 the VESC6 branch plus U8g2lib.h, rf24.h. Now: -Case 1: I use the https://github.com/SolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote/tree/master, MASTER branch and the upload works for both receiver and transmitter. They can connect between each other. The LCD shows Esk8 remote when turn on, not FireFly so I guess is the old version. Problem, I can scroll inside the menu so the thumb wheel works but then doesn’t work for accellaration and brakes. -Case 2: I use the https://github.com/SolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote/tree/development DEVELOPMENT branch, seems more updated than the MASTER one. When I upload the trasmitter you can that the pipe line in the code is gone and indeed in the read.me says "Update v2.0

Update 2.0 introduces quite a few new interesting features to the remote, and fixes some minor issues from the past. The update includes:

The possibility to generate a new address Receiver settings (transmitable from the remote) Trigger- and controlmode is handled on the receiver Calibration of throttle Remote now uses channel 108"

So now you can see the address in the transmitter setting, although I can not change it when I enter the option. In case of the development branch the receiver.ino program gives me this error: Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), TD: 1.41, Board: “Arduino Nano, ATmega328P”

C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\nRF24-Esk8-Remote-development\receiver\receiver.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:

receiver:144: error: ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

SetSerialPort(&Serial);

^

Multiple libraries were found for “buffer.h” Used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-master Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 exit status 1 ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with “Show verbose output during compilation” option enabled in File -> Preferences. IMG_20180713_165317

If I used the development transmitter firmware with the master receiver software it doesn;t connect, but that it’s understandable.

The two cases suggested that the the two parts can comunicate but with the DEVELOPMENT branch softwares I have a problem when I upload the receiver. Do you know how to solve it? DO you know the serial port? Sorry for the long explanation but it was the only way to explain everything. Thanks a lot!

I know that when I installed the VESC6 UART library it warned me that I must first un-install the older “master UART” library. Do you think that having both installed at the same time would explain why it’s using the master one and not using the VESC6 one as it should?

I also thought about it gives me this error only with the receiver. Do you know about the serial port? I do not understand why with the old firmware it works and not with the new one.

Yes I did it. Actually it changes the default one. Thank when you turn one the remote in setting you will see generate address with the original one (if I press it I can not generate a new one) and after that default address which is the one that you can change and if you press it then you set the new one. My problem is with the receiver firmware that I get the serial error. So if you are using the master when you turn it on you see Esk8 remote and not firefly. Right? With me the master works but my thumb wheel doesn’t work for throttle and brakes. It does scroll the menu in setting though. Moreover how do you set the trigger ecc… There are only number there. 1 or 2 or 3

yes, in master I see ‘Esk8 Remote’ when I turn on my transmitter. Then, when I move the throttle up or down the OLED screen shows a bar graph that grows larger or smaller depending on how much I’m pushing the throttle. If I turn on debugging (by uncommenting out the debug definition at the top of the code) I can see on my computer the hall sensor numbers. they get larger when I throttle, and they get smaller when I brake. If you turn on debugging do you see these numbers change?

How do I turn it on debugging? I mean I deactivate that part in the sketch and then?

Just remove the two / characters at the beginning of line 8: 20%20AM So line 8 will say ‘#define DEBUG’ instead of ‘// #define DEBUG’ Basically it’s just creating a new definition called ‘DEBUG’. Then later in the code there are points where it says “if DEBUG definition is defined, then do xxxx”. So normally it doesn’t do these debug steps, but only if you remove the //'s. To see your debug output, just open the Serial Monitor window inside the Arduino IDE.

1 Like

Thanks then you read the hall sensor values and you change them in the code or later on the in the remote setting? The nice thing of the development script is that you can see them live and you can adjust it. The remote you got from @SeeTheBridges has a master or development files? Because in the video I see the firefly remote logo when he turns on the remote.

All of my remotes ship with the development branch code. My personal remote specifically has a custom firefly logo put into the boot screen. You won’t see that logo on other remotes

Ah ok then could you check the previous reply I sent it to you. Because I get that weird error with the development branch scripts. Specifically the receiver. Thanks a lot

Multiple libraries were found for “buffer.h” Used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-master Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 Not used: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries\VescUartControl-VESC6 exit status 1 ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

You didn’t delete the vescUART master library. It’s still compiling with the master branch which is why you’re getting errors still.

Ok now I deleted and I will try it again. Do you think it will solved the serial error?

It should fix it on the dev branch, but I think it breaks the master branch :woman_shrugging: the master branch uses I think SerialIO as the command instead, so it won’t compile on the VESC6 library. It’s not a big deal, the master branch had serious freezing issues for me in my testing which is why I don’t use it.

2 Likes

Trying now and let you know. Thx,

About how long will it be till group two orders are ready??