For Sale: Firefly Esk8 Remotes and Parts Kits *No longer accepting requests*

It’s been brought to my attention that I forgot to put springs in a couple kits. If you receive your kit and this is the case, shoot me a message and I’ll send out a spring asap.

2 Likes

IMG_2297 Here’s a quick look at what your end result should look like for the PCB. I think I labeled everything pretty well!

4 Likes

Your PCB makes things much faster. Thanks for the photo, it’s very helpful. 2 questions. The kit you sent came w/ 2 small caps (220 and 223) and 2 larger ones (both 100uF). I know about the placement of 2 of these on the receiver side, but is there a use for the other two somewhere on the transmitter? Secondly, the male microUSB breakout that you have plugged into your arduino has 2 solder pads on the top, and 3 on the bottom. Can you help clarify which 3 points you have attached your yellow wires to? Or do you have a product link that may contain a pinout?

1 Like

Right, so the kits came with 4 capacitors. 2 genetic Chinese ones since they’re included with all kits, and then the 2 name brand ones. The smaller electrolytic cap is the Chinese one. The bigger is the name brand Rubycon. For the ceramics, the slightly larger ceramic one is the generic, and the smaller yellow ceramic one is the name brand Kemet. I’ll work on a little imgur photo album laying everything out to make it easy to distinguish everything.

Also general update for everyone: All domestic kits have been shipped, springs for the effected users have been sent as well. Ive started international shipping on the kits. Complete remotes will resume shipping this week. After I finish with the international orders.

3 Likes

Almost half way guys… Now that I saw the PCB it makes everything way cleaner…next time I guess :sweat_smile:IMG_20180711_021436

4 Likes

Thanks man for your tutorials! When I was lost with the schematics your videos made the difference. Thanks! Now the receiver…

IMG_20180711_204235IMG_20180711_204214

7 Likes

Wow that looks great, next time I’ll build one my self I need to get a 3d printer.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the molded one from @Scoo_B_SK8. Hopefully he decides to sell them.

3 Likes

Yeh 3d print is awesome. For me it came before than ESkate. I love them both though. One question. What do you see when the remote is charging? My micro USB port has really really small pins and I am afraid I didn’t soldered them properly. @SeeTheBridges I used a 10K resistor instead of 5K because I didn;t have it. THe only downside would it be that my battery takes long to charge right? I am just try to understand if my battery is charging or not. Thx!

1 Like

Where did you use the 5K resistor? For the battery indicator? Or for the charging circuit? Bc use 4.7K resistors on the charge circuit, but for the battery pin (A2), I think you need the 10k resistor to make sure the Arduino is safe. When charging you’ll see the TP4056 LED turn red, I think it turns blue when it’s done.

I used 10K resistor for A2 pins, And another one for the charge circuit since I didn’t have a 4.7 or 5K resistor.

I opened the remote and I see the red led now. Thanks! I thought you could see from the LCD too.

Ah. Yup! Your remote will just charge slower. Should keep the battery healthy for longer too. Just gonna take like ~4 hours to charge to full.

Yeh, perfect, as I thought. Thanks

1 Like

Hi! I just finished the receiver (except for the 0.022uF cap because I still have to decide between hat one and the mcp130 microchip). IMG_20180713_013558 IMG_20180713_030312 Anyhow I know that you last video still has to come but could you just make a short steps guide for the code upload? Otherwise could you answer to 2 questions? 1- which library in IDE do you use for the nrf24 module? The name or a screenshot would be fine. 2- Which library do I need for the receiver.ino sketch? For the moment I got error message Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), TD: 1.41, Board: “Arduino Nano, ATmega328P”

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\ESkate\FireFly Remote\nRF24-Esk8-Remote-development\receiver\receiver.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:

receiver:129: error: ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

SetSerialPort(&Serial);

^

exit status 1 ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with “Show verbose output during compilation” option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Thanks for the help!

Here’s the NRF library I used: 55%20PM As far as your error, I don’t know if this is related, but my Nano’s were a bit old and for my ‘Board’ I had to choose “Arduino Nano (old bootloader)” to get it to connect

I like the remote a lot, but having a printer myself I can print it myself, I am really hesitant in building one due to my lack of aurdino. It would be cool to be able to buy the electronics from you pre programmed so all I have to do is make the shell.

1 Like

Thanks man! In the meantime I finished the receiver IMG_20180713_030312IMG_20180713_013558

When you have time could you check which library you need? I also get an error about a serial port to be added. I didn’t find any information about what to load for the receiver :tired_face:

My receiver code references the same libraries as the transmitter does (U8g2lib.h, rf24.h, and VescUart.h). You just need to adjust the pipe address in the receiver.ino file so it matches the one used in the transmitter.ino and you should be good.

I did offer a batch of 20 kits to help offset the costs of starting to sell complete remotes, but I’m not taking any more orders for now. Sorry!

Now as far as the issues with SetSerialPort, which sets of code and library are you guys using? If you’re on the master branch, then you can use the master branch version of vescUART. If you’re on the dev branch of the code like I ship all of my remotes with, you need to download the VESC6 branch of the vescUART library otherwise you’ll get that weird error.

I’ve been using the master branch, but it still calls for the VESC6 UART library, according to the libraries file nRF24-Esk8-Remote/libraries at master · SolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote · GitHub