FOC'ing around (weak brakes and cutout)

@scepterr @JohnnyMeduse @Blasto

Figured out why I was getting OC faults while blasting the throttle. This is precisely what the positive/negative ramping time in PPM is. with a sudden increase in current, the VESC pulls too much too fast due to the abrupt PPM signal change. Using a positive ramping time will give it some breathing room to gradually bring up the current to the requested levels without causing a huge spike.

I’m finding .2s to be satisfactory in relieving OC faults on the bench. Will test in the field tomorrow.

1 Like

Interesting, do you have stock BOM caps or upgraded?

Upgraded, dual ollinboards VESC

Oh @scepterr, I went back to FOC on 2.54 and I noticed something strange. After setting it up and detection, I found that I can ramp to full duty cycle at about 30% throttle, but anything after that makes the motor spin at a lower pitch sound, like there’s resistance or something. This doesn’t happen on 3.29 so I think i’ll stick on the newer f/w; I feel like I’m going to blow a DRV with that sound.

Peculiar, identical behavior on both vescs?

For the OC issue on 3.28/3.29 yes, for the weird change in pitch, no…

I tried FOC once before on 2.54, but I forgot which of the Ollin VESCs I used, at high eRPM the motor would cog and spaz the fuck out so I was really afraid to try again. This time it didn’t cog, but made a disconcerting lower pitch whine.

Sorry should’ve taken a vid.

Are you guys getting much less power delivery with the new firmware under the same current settings?

Tomorrow I’ll go back to the old firmware and will install ackmaniac firmware

I’m not noticing less power delivery. Are you using the same current settings as before? Here’s what i’m using…

10s4p dual 6355 230kv Motor Max: 70 Motor Min: -60 Battery Max: 40 Battery min: -25 ABS max: 150

These are per VESC

12S4P Motor Max: 65 Motor Min: -45 Battery Max: 40 Battery min: -25 ABS max: 130

So you did change the battery min from -8A to -25A per VESC, how are you feeling your brakes now?

I haven’t tested -25 yet but -30 each VESC felt pretty good, though still not as linear as I’d like. At slow speeds it tends to brake hard.

Guess that explains my locked up motor

http://vesc-project.com/node/123

I’m working on my Carvon V3 with a Raptor 1 deck. These are my last two changes, (80 Motor max was recommended by Carvon). In the first setting I was getting cogging when I pushed the throttle too hard so I messed with it and got the the second settings which got rid of the cogging but now I have weak brakes that won’t even stop me. Any idea of what I need to change to get brakes back but not have cogging?

I’m using a 10s3p battery with vesc-x

Where did you find that setting? Is it on the new VESC tool only?

correct only on the new tool

@scepterr @Eboosted Ugh one issue solved, another arises. Now when I’m going a certain duty cycle and apply more throttle on a slight/moderate incline, the board stutters for a second like it’s out of sync. I’m assuming this only happens uphill since downhill doesn’t apply much current.

Any ideas guys? I’ll try to get a fault reading later

Hmm that’s a new one, no idea Increase ramp step?

I think ramp step is only for bldc

Oh right, then back to no idea :thinking:

Any chance battery sagging below limits?

nah these are new and full charge. I did notice that when it happens the motors are making a louder than average whine. At high and low duty it doesn’t make that loud whine.

Something I was thinking about today… Motor detection is best with battery that will be used…but typically that would be done with a full battery, while actual use will be at nominal voltage at least 70% of the time. Detection results do vary with voltage…so would it be best to do detection with battery at nominal voltage?

Hmm not sure. I really like FOC, so i sure hope i can iron this out