FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

Thank you for confirming what I have always believed as well. Linear mapping of throttle input to output is most logical and having the acceleration separate is a really nice feature. I’m so excited to try this out!

Something to clarify here also, ramp time is the time it takes to go from 0 percent throttle to 100 percent throttle. So let’s say you move from 25 percent throttle to 50 percent it will only take 1/4 of your ramping time to complete the change. When using current control it sets a limit on the rate of change of acceleration (in physics this is referred to as jerk).

The throttle mapping is just an instantaneous transform from whatever current throttle position is to output command. So this remaps a position to a position where as ramp time is a pretty simple time based filter that prevents rapid changes in acceleration to make the boards behaviour more predictable.

5 Likes

So a bit longer ramping time will also help to stop the kick back you get if you release the throttle after decent acceleration since it will smooth down the deceleration curve as well. Is it right?

Noob question, i have searched but i think i must be using the wrong terms.

I have updated firmware and gone through the setup ui again.

I’m using a mini remote, when i switch off the remote to simulate signal loss the board goes full throttle, how can i reset the failsafe? I have rebound the remote but no change :confused:

thanks for the OS version :slight_smile:

I don’t think so, neutral throttle would just mean no power delivery to motors

Yep but I am talking about when you release the throttle from closer to 100% without braking. In this case I get like a step and not a smooth deceleration. Maybe increase the ramping time affects also that aspect

I understand, but what you’re implying is that it would continue to provide power to the motors at a descending rate, for the given ramping time. I believe it just completely cuts off power once you return to neutral, it’s instantaneous. Correct me if I’m wrong @Deodand

1 Like

True. Or maybe takes the 0.3sec imposed but still really fast. Thst behaviour was better with vesc 6 based VESC. Maybe they have diffent way to handle it. For the moment I accommodate the descenting phase and it’s ok.

Sorted, and panic mode off…

1 Like

Stuttering issue fixed on the new firmware, it’s amazing and thank you! had a cutoff issue once that I hadn’t been able to reproduce, and not sure if I can. 124.6 miles on the new firmware so far, on 8 inch pneumatics, 60/-30 bat, 70/-70 motor dual 6374 190kv motors on. 1:4 gear drive.

1 Like

I just bring my thumb slowly back while on the wheel to prevent the kickback. Hardly ever just fully let go of the wheel, that little kick freaks me out every time…

1 Like

I do the same. I thought maybe it can be improved.

2 Likes

@rey8801 you are correct that increasing the downward ramp time would slow the descending acceleration. @Jinra it does actually take that amount of time to return to 0. This is definitely scary (we all want responsive brakes) and a good reason not to turn the value up very high. I don’t recommend turning up this value to address that issue.

Vedder’s latest FW has a fix where if the throttle position is 0 or greater the larger of the two ramping times is always used. So essentially if you let off the throttle suddenly but not all the way it eases down the acceleration providing that forward lurch. But if you go into braking it allows the brakes to be applied suddenly… kind of a middle ground. Not really sure if I’m in love with that idea but maybe I’ll give it a test run and put it in the next release if it feels nice.

5 Likes

Thabk you for the super clear explanation and Vedder’s solution seems actually good. Of course your the decision. You are doing great so I trust you. Thank you again

1 Like

Yea, it’s interesting for sure. I do hate that feeling when my thumb slips off the throttle. I’ll test it today maybe and see how it feels. Just worried it might feel unpredictably sudden once you do hit the brakes, we will see.

5 Likes

quick question: if i set max battery amps to 40A does that mean 40A per motor and max amps will actually be 80A or is the 40A max the max for both motors? I’m curious because i set it to 40 but now under full load my voltage sag is much greater than when i had it set to 40 with a different vesc. This makes me think it might actually be pulling 80A.

No it’s 40 amps total as you expect. Regarding sag make sure your pack is in good health.

I think that if it’s possible to discriminate when the brakes are not involved as you said it’s a promising feature.

Make this throttle->idle thingie into a checkbox in the app if possible? :slight_smile: That way people chan choose what they like more.

1 Like