FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

Hot Diggity thats cool. I wasnt aware of that

knowing my luck I was the one bastard with a cold solder joint on their Unity :joy:

They assume resellers know what a soldering iron is! :open_mouth:

1 Like

thx…I don’t know why I’m so chicken shyt when it comes to soldering. I have NOO faith in my skills. Think i will practice with some 12AWG wire first. maybe get one of those solder practice kits or something. lol

1 Like

May I introduce to you: my friend, special edition™ first batch Unity? :joy:

Reversed connector AND cold solder joints.

Fite my luck IRL.

6 Likes

Get some AMTech flux. It does WONDERS.

1 Like

thx. just swapped my solder to Kester and what a difference it made. I was using some cheap solder before…ruined 3 sets of bullet connectors. I have flux but again…it’s the cheap stuff. checking out this AMtech now. thx again.

1 Like

I am from Europe so I cannot really recommend “international” solder, but I go with some polish unleaded(the full composition is rubbed off :frowning: ) and AMTech flux. Things solder beautifully. Even 10AWG wires.

1 Like

Good to hear @JLabs thanks for the feedback! Would be best to see that number be 0 but at least we are moving in the right direction.

1 Like

@Deodand as we work with chinese manufacturing, they do “perfectly” only in first batches, then they tend to cut(time, mostly) on the quality. Let’s hope it’s the reverse in this case. :slight_smile:

Those cables are directly from Amass, as they have the proper machines to automate the soldering. We’ll still keep a close eye on this.

1 Like

Everything can become “lazy”, even machines. The main issue I guess are the motor wire solder pads. I literally had one I could have “persuaded” to come off but desoldered anyways, because what the frick. :smiley:

My “oh no i can’t ride” pains would have kicked in immediately. Lol

1 Like

Nothing one beer can’t fix!

2 Likes

I wanna get that good as to not worry about things like a bad solder job. just grab a beer and heat up the soldering iron.

I’d rather check the situation first. Heatshrink is cheap anyways. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah…yeah…yeah. I’m feeling adventurous now.I’ll check mine when i go home…I have shrink wrap…yeah yeah. i’m going for it. thx bruh.

1 Like

Hey @Deodand can you tell me a bit more about how the throttle ramping times and traction control work?

Screenshot_20190416-143802

Very excited to try these out :smiley:

4 Likes

I use .1/.1 ramping times. It’s the amount of time (in seconds) it takes for the throttle to ramp from a given power output to another. Example, if you go from 25% throttle to 50% throttle it’ll take .3 seconds (from your picture) to ramp from 25% power to 50% power on the VESC.

Traction control limits power to a wheel if the eRPM delta exceeds a given threshold (Traction CTRL Max eRPM difference on the app)

1 Like

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Really I guess my confusion comes from how the throttle curve and ramp times affect each other.

I assumed that when increasing motor command, I was also increasing ramp time (especially when not linear and on the high end of throttle) . Thank you for the quick reply

Throttle curves apply varying power depending on throttle position. I am a believer that linear is the best and most predictable curve myself. They both have a direct affect against throttle, but work a bit differently.

2 Likes