FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

The BMS is for charging only.

Normally yes, but I had problems by installing a new remote so I ran again trough the setup guide, seems like I forgot to change that setting. Battery was full when to error occurred, it should be able to deliver 90A without problems.

Any possibility that the error was caused by the wrong voltage settings?

Probably not if battery was fully charged and the BMS was bypassed.

How many flashes? I’m assuming you mean a flashing red? Sounds like a fault is being thrown if you catch the number of flashes that is the fault number. Better yet get it to throw the fault and without power cycling connect to the app and type “faults” in the terminal.

Sorry I have been out of town last week got a bit behind on answering people.

Edit: just saw screenshots :smile:

1 Like

@Marsl187 @mackann @rsalmon I think I have targeted the issue and fixed it. Initial testing looks good (thanks @sofu) really sorry that anyone had to experience this (the specific issue mostly effects large high kv motors 6374+ 190 kv+) and depends on winding resistance.

A new app will go live in 1-2 days and a firmware update should fix it. A few other fun little bits in there as well :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great, cant wait to try it. What was the problem or how did you fix it?

changed something in the detection routine that I shouldn’t have and it skewed detection of resistance for larger motors slightly. My mistake, I need to accumulate a more complete host of test motors before making these types of changes. Live and learn.

14 Likes

Glad the issue was found. I just received my unity and it seems a great piece of kit but I am worried that these software bugs can have a big impact on a rider health :grin:. My trampa uses 6374 and 190kv so I can assume if I was to switch to the unity today, I would have been impacted by this issue.

We need to make sure firmware changes are properly tested before going live due to… health and safety reasons :smirk:

2 Likes

This is exactly the sort of reason why I wouldn’t wanna be a first batch guinea.

I’m leaning towards just buying some vesc 6. Surely they are tried and tested. Right?

1 Like

Kind of glad all of my parts are not there yet to kill me before dangerous bugs are ironed out. :smiley:

1 Like

Eh every device/user/situation is different. I’ve been full throttling my 6374 190kv motors regularly and have had no issue with the first batch of Unities.

Regardless, good to hear about updates focused on safety!

3 Likes

All I can do is be honest about the issue, fixes should be released by today. Being a DIY builder/rider in general carries these risks unfortunately as it’s somewhat impossible to test every possible permutation of a build under all riding styles. I did actually test with this style motor, but it only occurs on certain motors under heavy current. We tested the unity with a pretty wide variety of builds before launch, I think we had about 20 beta testers but unfortunately this slipped through. I’m pretty sure we even have riders with these specific motors and no issue present so it might be one of those variance things where certain motors/unities at the tips of the bell curves were causing issues.

These aren’t excuses just trying to explain the situation. I will always be striving to setup more thorough test procedures to ensure safety.

16 Likes

Yes, I have 6 test boards with almost all same motors and setup, but only 1 did have this problem. So I understand it must be hard to test/find/fix this problem.

3 Likes

Maybe a bigger batch of beta testers in the future in different climates/ evironments and areas of the world. Twenty beta testers is a good amount but a hot and humid beach area would have a different response to the electronics than a person in a warm area with low humidity and hills.

1 Like

Just got my Unity up an running… i have two questions though…

1. In the Focbox UI, when is set the “Max battery discharge current” is this in total or pr. side/motor ??

2. With my old focboxes when i switch off the remote (simulating failsafe) it would just free roll. But on the Unity the motors brakes pretty massiv, throwing me of the board. Any where in the UI, i can change that ??

1. its total

2. Hard to answer without seeing the behavior of the ppm signal when the remote is switched off (different remotes have different behavior). There are some advanced options relating to this in the full tool but not the app currently.

1. Okay thanks… maybe a little confusing… since the motor max is pr. motor, but battery max is in total. Maybe a note about that in the app ? (maybe its bacause i´m use to setting up two seperate focboxes)

I have problems connecting via BLE modul in the full tool… But i guess i have to take the board apart in order to connect via micro usb then… Its the “golden standard” remote Flysky GT2B… its pretty insane how much braking power it throws when going in to failsafe mode, much stronger braking power than braking on the remote manually .

I will add that throttle goes to 1500 when idle. I don’t think my unity does that though. Did you calibrate it properly?

Can be seen that it free rolls.

1 Like

does this mean 1.5 ms? if so the unity should idle just fine.

1 Like

Added old video, it does indeed.

This is when the throttle is in idle (mid. Pos.) No matter how many times i calibrate. It stays at 46% Screenshot_20190408-195734

And this is when i turn off the remote Screenshot_20190408-195741