FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

Any update on this?

3 Likes

So I’m having issues. Running a Unity with the DIY Raptor motor kit and nano remote. I got all in January. All has been fine up until the last two times I rode. Suddenly it’s very glitchy. Runs fine for about a minute, then starts to surge/cut out in short 1/2 second pulses, then sometimes cuts out all together when braking. Happens with throttle and brake. It’s not a battery issue as I’ve tried three other packs with the same result. Twice it’s started doing it then a full forward power surge hits and threw me off. I’ve installed the latest updates, but issue still exists. Has anyone else had this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you calibrating your remote every time you turn it on?

Did you run PPM calibration in fast mode?

Yes. Initial calibration was done in R-spec mode, and calibrate Nano every time.

Can you please explain what you mean by keeping track of the amp-hours that go back in when charging. How can I use that to determine how far I can set my cutoff? I’m trying to dial in my 12s 10,000 mah lipo that I got with my trampa.

I’m getting 1.99A at 45.31 volts. I had my cutoff at 44.4 volts and my range was subpar. 20190814_210202

Say you have a 10Ah pack. Let’s say conservatively you’re hoping to get 70% of your pack. That’s 7Ah. Conservative because packs have less punch at lower states of charge, and you really don’t want to hit or get close to 0% on any of the lipo cells.

Charge your pack to 100%, and ride until you hit cutoff. At this point you expect to have discharged most of the energy from your pack. Charge to 100% again, and note how many amp hours go back in. If you put 7Ah back in, you hit your goal of 70%. If you only put 2Ah back in, something is very wrong. Either your cutoff settings are way too conservative, or the pack is not behaving well under load (bad connections, weak cells, old pack, etc).

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Video I just got my focbox connected, using mostly the default config. What could be causing my motors to behave like this? it won’t spin a full rotation and constantly goes backwards/forwards in the jerky motion, making a weird noise.

So im trying to connect some sensors to my motor, im connecting it to GND and TEMP, it shows up in the app but only when i heat it up, if it cools down again there is no value. How can i make this work? Or do i need a different kind of sensor?

1 Like

Did support ever get back to you? They asked me for a picture of the unity with the orange cover pulled back which I sent them nearly a month ago now and not heard a thing.

Answer in private.

@Deodand my unity’s power switch has a little problem. I can’t fit it back in the JST connector, it just will not stay there. 20190818_133059-01

You can try bending the pin on the other side out a bit if you have a small tool. Then it will catch in the plastic square on the terminal.

1 Like

@venom121212 normally the metal connector has a tiny flap that catches the plastic square. the little flap broke i think… not me though it was like this out of the box.

1 Like

Seems enertion isn’t doing support at the moment :frowning: your best bet is to scavenge a jst ph terminal (with wire) from somëhing else and splice it on. That is if you don’t have a crimper and terminals.

1 Like

from what i read when they do it all is good… and then there are times where you get no answers for months lol

well funnily i have ordered some already because i f**ked my sensor cable from my evolve but banggood takes some time haha. i think i will put in in the connector and then tape all the wires so it does not pop out. once connected to the unity it should be unlikly to pop out

1 Like

Bust out the hot glue, should be enough to hold it till the new ones come in…

I feel like tape would allow for some wiggle room, who knows what would happen if it pops out under full throttle.

2 Likes

Hello again,

I can now definitely say that the error/sound is caused by the Unity!

It seems like the Unity can’t calculate the values anymore or so and cuts out therefore. See the screen recording from the life data:

The moment motor 2 is getting negative current is when the noise starts to occur. I’m still holding trottle at this moment, no braking or so. Also the noise just comes from motor 2, no matter which motor I use. So there is definitely a problem with the right side of my Unity!

Please address this issue and help me to solve it. @Deodand @CarlCollins @carl.1

Some details which might help you:

Motors: Turnigy SK8 6374 149kV Battery: 12s discharge current 70A

Configuration here:

2 Likes

I had this exact same noise on hard throttle when I was testing the board on the ground. The sound is coming from unity. Not sure why. It stops the motor pulling when that sound is happening too right? No definitive solution tho other than mines settled down after a lot of re setups and wire checking.

@Deodand I had my batch 1 unity clear all its settings again today. It’s happened a few times now and it’s fucking annoying.

Been riding for days without making any settings changes. Ride home from work fine. Board shuts its self down due to inactivity after a while when i get home. half hour later i Give board to gf to practice on, she powers it up and gets on but it don’t go no where, motors just twitching. open up unity app and unity forgot all it’s motor calibration and battery safety cutouts. But some how remote is still calibrated and it looks like app settings are still set but all battery and motor values have been reset including hall tables and motor flux measurements.

Then cause app is not always reliable it connect. I did a read and did a motor calibration. But then it wouldn’t let me do a write to save that data, button was just grayed out. was still getting real time data for wheel speeds and could do a read but it wouldn’t let me write. did multiple power cycles of the board, and my phone. some times it wouldn’t let me write, others wouldn’t let me read or write. Spend half hour fucking about trying to get it working before it finally writes motor calibration. It’s been fine again since.

When this happened previously i wrote it off as firmware bugs due to early software but im running the latest and its been quite a while now so im beginning to think it might be a hardware problem.

Have you heard of this before? i know of a few on the other forum that are having similar issues.

Is this being caused by a software or hardware issue? could it be a bad eeprom on my unity?

Im keen to get it sorted out cause i dont want to get stranded miles away from home.

3 Likes