FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Do you mean you want to control torque more directly or speed more directly?

@Deodand right now I’m trying to build and run the Focbox_UI to run for iOS. I added a bit of code that should make BLTE connection better on OSX (the code is from another GitHub user that one can see in one of the closed pull request)

I’m in QT Creator and Android and iOS isn’t working for me due to QSerialPort. While I understand why it’s not building for iOS (since that module does not support it) , how are you guys able to build an android application? It’s giving me the module error even though when I look at the code it shouldn’t.

Also , I’m trying to build a OSX version of the Focbox Tool but I cannot find the source code for it. While the UI is great , I like the options of the TOOL better.

3 Likes

In the .pro file theres a define:

DEFINES += HAS_SERIALPORT

comment this out and it should fix it?

For the tool its the same code base you just comment or comment:

CONFIG += build_mobile

FYI the full tool feels pretty bad without a mouse. My hope is to get the UI to a point where all the in depth options are back in sub menus/ advanced sections but still tucked away to keep it clean.

1 Like

Control the speed. Right now if my remote is pushed halfway forward, the motors keep accelerating to max speed. But I would like to motors to run at half speed ( the same value as the remote ) and not ramped up.

What remote that sounds really odd… I’m running an nano-x and it definitely doesn’t do that unless it’s not loaded on a bench test but underload it cruises nice at 50% throttle. Sounds almost like the remote isn’t calibrated correctly

1 Like

I’m using the feather remote from Stefan. I did most of my testing on a test bench, maybe it works better on the road? Tried it only 1 time riding it, but then it also seemed like it kept accelerating.

Did you calibrate remote max/min values in the VESC tool? This is the first time that this behaviour has been reported. It may just be that the board is not under load, but this behaviour is not what is supposed to happen

Sounds like a throttle thing , what’s your throttle looking like ?

The remote is working just fine. This is normal behaviour when testing with no load.

Hoyt puck does this. Pick a position on the remote wheel and the board winds out to a top speed. This is what I mean by constant trim adjustment.

whilst I have no desire for Cruise Control on an eskate, for safety and attentiveness reasons, I quite fancy the idea of an optional (and selectable) soft ‘throttle off’.

This might be a stupid idea, but my imagination thinks that after a full throttle blast the power drops off in a user defined, but linear or maybe an arc type fashion - whichever works better. Like after a quick blast on a push bike and you ease off the power delivered by your legs but there’s still power going through the drivetrain. A bit like powered coasting down. Obviously any use of the brake would cut the power at any point on the downward graph to zero power and then the ‘powered coasting’ or whatever name is given to the function would need to be manually selected again for it to work.

Not saying I’d want this as a permanent feature, but on my long straight coastal blasts, where I might be going pretty much flat out for 5km at a time without needing to stop, I sometimes want to relax the thumb completely, shift postions, stretch my thumb, fiddle with headphones or simply scratch my arse or whatever, but don’t want to cut all power to the gears. Can’t see it being wanted with hub motors which freewheel almost like a regular longboard, but with belt drives there is a definite ‘jolt’ due to drivetrain friction if you offload the power delivery from full to zero.

Tell me this is crazy, tell if you think you’d have a go on a system like this, but don’t ask me to do it cos I have no idea how to code electronics or make this work in an esk8.

It might be a stupid idea, but now I’ve thought of it I would want to try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like your describing endless ride ? @Wajdi is implementing something similar to his crontrol panel

This is really easy to understand. The rider sets the max acceleration and max deceleration. Then they select a speed with the remote. The board moves to that speed given the max acceleration and max deceleration. When riding at the selected speed there is no acceleration or deceleration, just smooth riding – even if there are hills or the battery is sagging, etc. Then the remote is controlling how the board moves in space and time, NOT the motor power.

You are describing speed control. Max acceleration and deceleration is motor amps max/min. Give it a ride, you won’t like it.

1 Like

Fair enough. I should stop telling you how to fix the problem. But please listen to the user experience of what the problem is that I am experiencing. :slight_smile: If my thumb slips on the puck the board will accelerate or decelerate so rapidly that i am concerned. I am wishing that Unity had better tools to tame this kind of issue. I think other people will also experience this, especially because of the highly performant nature of the Unity hardware. I am hoping the solution will be in the UI interface, not the full TOOL, which has too many options. Best,

1 Like

Sound like you remote is badly calibrated… or as a weird curve program in it. I think you should try different remote before putting the blame on the esc…

I’m listening but it’s hard to understand how to fix your problem. How should I make a throttle that both sandboxes you away from raw power that will easily throw you from the board without handicapping your board? If your board feels like an untamed beast you might want to reduce max motor amps?

Max motor amps = Max board acceleration

Well, I don’t think so. It’s a Hoyt St puck and seems to be operating correctly. I have experimented with linear throttle curves and mildly S shaped curves that make the low level more sensitive and the high level less so.

I have reduced the motor amps, that helped some. And I have adjusted the throttle curve. I think the next step is the ramp up and ramp down times. If there is a change order here it might be to include the ramps in the UI interface. Also, last I looked, there was still that issue about the center point of the remote being offset (not at zero) for some reason. Thanks!

haaaa that remote… that explain your issue to be honest…

to be honest I’ve been riding UNITY since days ONE like ALPHA prototype and I haven’t seen any difference with any remote fell the same as regular foxbox

I highly suggest you to try different remote.

1 Like